REGIONAL SUPPORT MENTAL HEALTH (MH TECHNICAN & based in Amman)
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by 24 sections and offices worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations.
- The OCBA Operational Cell 1 (Middle East) current portfolio includes the missions in Turkey, Syria, Iraq, Palestine and Yemen.
- The Middle East Unit is a decentralised structure that is being created within OCBA whose role and purpose is to support operations in the Middle East. The Middle East Unit Unit will include the Middle East Cell and other positions that will provide technical and operational support, training, representation and advocacy support to the field missions.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE AND JOB ENVIROMENT
This position supports Mental Health activities of OCBA Operations in Middle East and is managed by the Mental Health Advisor based in Amman. The regional support MH technician will contribute through his/her expertise, to an improved MHPS activities as well as improved case management for patients treated. He/she will follow and monitor the MHPS activities and will support/mentor the MHAMs (mental health activity managers).
The MH technician reports hierarchically to the Mental Health Advisor based in Amman, he/she must be able to do field and countries visit (70% of the position to be spent in the field).
The priorities of the field visits will be assigned by the Mental Health Advisor in coordination with the Health Advisor of Cell 1-(TESACO).
He/she must be able to give the direct support to the development of MHPS activities within MSF-OCBA operations.
The MH Technician will have a direct collaboration with the cell(s), Medical coordinators, and with the Project Medical Referents (PMR).
Important decisions affecting the management of this position will be shared and taken together with Cell 1 (TESACO).
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES AND TASKS
- Strengthen the MHPS programs in the region and regularly give feedback to the Cell and MHA based in Amman.
- Promote and contribute to the capitalization and standardization of MHPS programs in the region.
- Keep regular contact with all MHAM/MH supervisors (at least every 2 weeks), mentor them
- Support and answer the questions sent by the different projects.
- Suggest the necessary means for the activities of the projects (in accordance with MHA):
- Human resources: qualification, numbers
- Organization of the mental health activities
- Organize the quantitative and qualitative monitoring of the MHPSS activities in the region. The MH technician will be involved in supporting or improving the tools used for monitoring and evaluation. Provide support to field teams for the setup, the analysis and the interpretation of mental health data.
- Suggest and may support operational research projects, according to MHA.
- Make sure that there is a good coordination and continuation of care in the projects.
- Visit the fields, and give support to the mental health managers/supervisors (or directly to the psychologists when there is no manager) in order to improve quality and organization of care, as well as coordination of care amongst the different countries in the region.
- Share good practices amongst the different projects in the region.
- Compile guidelines, programs and other tools developed in/for the region within MSF or from others organizations.
- Assess the needs and provide trainings to MHPS field teams. When pertinent, suggests training tools for the MHPS staff, always in coordination with MHA.
- Write a report within one week after a field visit. Keep all documents and information concerning the MHPSS components of projects in the region.
- Participate to relevant meetings organized by the coordination of the different countries, during the AP and shares his/her experience and knowledge. Assess and analyse the reports, MHPSS strategic documents from field teams and give them feedback.
- Produce a visit report and shares it with MHA, Tesaco and Medco within 2 weeks after the visit.
- The MH Technician contributes to building and maintaining the network of MHPS related contacts in the region.
- The MH Technician provides technical inputs to other dossiers running in Middle East Unit (Telemedicine, Health surveillance Program, Sexual Violence, Remote Management, etc.).
· A Diploma in Psychiatry (MD specialized in Psychiatry) or in Clinical Psychology from qualified University program.
· 2 years’ experience with MHPS programs with MSF, or another humanitarian organization.
· Fluent in English, speaking and writing. Arabic is a strong asset.
· Knowledge of the Middle East and the evolution of the different conflicts ongoing.
· Team spirit, flexibility, a strong sense of belonging to the organization, cultural sensitivity.
· Experience in international emergency interventions integrating a MHPS component in conflict situations, violence and /or disasters.
· Eclectic training or interest not restricted to one only theoretical school, in order to be able to have a broader problem solving capacity in mental health.
· Team management.
He/she has to fully respect:
· Commitment to MSF protocols and principles.
· The medical deontology and ethics
· Results and Quality Orientation.
· Planning and Organising.
· Teamwork and Cooperation.
· Availability to travel frequently and on short notice.
· Flexibility with working hours.
· Based in Amman at the Médecins Sans Frontières OCBA decentralised Headquarters unit with travel to the fields 70% of the time.
· Commitment: 1 year (temporary position).
· Annual gross salary: Based on MSF OCBA reward policy (divided in 12 payments) + secondary benefits.
· Practical working conditions while in the field are as per the MSF-OCBA guideline. Starting date: Mid June 2019
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “MH Regional” to [email protected].
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
- Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognised disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.