Protection and Inclusion Advisor, Jordan
- Protection and Inclusion Advisor, Jordan
- Based in Amman, Jordan
- · Scope for flexible working hours
- Opportunity to work for a leading organisation working with and for older people globally
If you’re looking to progress your career in a great working environment, please read on.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including 21 days holiday (plus bank holidays), enhanced maternity and adoption pay, and generous employer pension contribution. We also actively support our staff with a variety of flexible working arrangements to help balance work and home life.
The organisation HelpAge International’s vision is a world where older people fulfil their potential to lead active, dignified, healthy and secure lives. We are the secretariat of the HelpAge global network, bringing together more than 114 affiliates and 200 partners working with older people in over 50 countries.
To be responsible for all aspects of HelpAge International’s programme in EME region. The post holder will contribute to development of programmes from an inclusion and protection lens and as per the agreed organisation and performance objectives and advocate with external organisations for inclusive approaches and programmes. Overall to set the EME programme on a strategic direction that is in line with the new HelpAge strategy (currently being developed) and ensure that HelpAge and other organisations development programmes that are inclusive of the rights of older women and men and their rights are protected.
The post holder is expected to operate within all HelpAge policies and procedures.
The post holder should ensure the proper implementation of the following functions:
1. Programme Development (40%)
• Provide technical advice to country offices and network members around the design inclusive programmes that protect the rights of older women and men, improving older people’s access to services with dignity
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all relevant stakeholders including NGOs, UN Agencies, governments authorities and other relevant actors to ensure their strategies, programme designs and emergency responses are inclusive and protect the rights of older women and men.
• Promote, champion and support the mainstreaming of GBV including issues related to violence, abuse and neglect in older age in all Help Age’s work and influence the response strategies of other humanitarian and development agencies.
• Work with the Resource Development managers in countries and regional offices, and with the supporting affiliates to identify potential sources of funding for work related to inclusion, protection, violence, abuse and neglect in older age
• Contribute to donor reports. If requested, also write donor reports
• Occasionally, on request, provide project development and/or management leadership to country programmes.
2. Strategic Leadership of Thematic Work and Training on Inclusion and Protection (40%)
• Produce position papers, articles and presentations for internal and external use on protection, inclusion, violence, abuse and neglect in older age as required;
• Develop protection and inclusion training programmes/ modules in line with internationally agreed standards to service the needs of external organisations and within HelpAge EME region.
• Maintain global oversight of HelpAge’s research and evidence gathering on inclusion, protection, violence, abuse and neglect in older age, including through a cross-programme thematic working group.
• Contribute to the improvement of programme quality and delivery of HelpAge work on protection, inclusion, violence, abuse and neglect through the development of a programme proposition to support the identification, sharing and application of best practices
3. Policy Influencing (10%)
• In coordination and consultation with the Global Technical Unit and Humanitarian Team in head-office, develop HelpAge EME region’s policy position on protection and inclusion in the humanitarian and development context.
• Support HelpAge teams across the region and its affiliates in advocating for the rights of older men and women with reference to protection, inclusion, GBV, violence, abuse and neglect in older age, including intersectional violence based on age and gender, disability or other characteristics
• Represent HelpAge externally to highlight its protection and inclusion strategy through dialogue and collaboration with civil society coalitions, research agencies, academic institutions, development partners and international humanitarian agencies
• Provide technical input to the advocacy, communications and campaigns teams for the development of any new HelpAge advocacy, campaigns and media work on inclusion and protection, GBV and disability.
4. Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (10%)
• In collaboration with the MEL adviser and regional/country MEL colleagues, identify gaps in data collection on protection and inclusion, quality and use, develop tools and systems to promote and support inclusive strategies and programme designs, and M&E practices across the HelpAge EME region
• Provide technical support to HelpAge staff, affiliates and partners for research, learning and evidence in support of programme development, measuring change and/or influencing.
Other features of the job
The post-holder will be based in Amman and will be expected to travel regularly to project sites throughout the EME region, including Jordan. S/he may be required to provide management support to programmes with resource constraints (whether human or financial). This may require relation to a country programme for a define period.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience
The ideal candidate will have:
• Master’s degree preferred (Social Work, International Relations/Development, Humanities, International Law, or related field exp.)
• Minimum five years of experience in protection/inclusion/GBV/safeguarding programming in humanitarian context, low and middle-income countries (recognising that few potential candidates will have experience of working on violence, abuse and neglect in older age in low and middle- income countries)
• At least 3 year experience in technical support
• Experience and in-depth understanding of design and implementation of inclusion, protection, GBV and disability focused programmes
• Experience of training and facilitation skills and providing technical support to programme teams and/or partners
• Experience of Project Cycle Management
• Ability to think strategically and analytically at a global level
• Ability to build relationships and work cross-organisationally and within networks
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English: ability to put complex concepts in a concise and simple manner
• Excellent external representation skills
• Solid organizational skills: the ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced and detailed-oriented team environment
• Ability to lead, train, supervise, facilitate and motivate other technical staff in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful and supportive manner
• Experience of working in difficult locations; ability to be resourceful and flexible in a limited resource environment
• A team player and positively contribute to team building
• Ability to work and deliver within short time frames and respect deadlines
• Willingness and ability to undertake significant travel overseas, occasionally at short notice
• Good IT skills including all Microsoft Office applications.
• Fluency in Arabic and/or Russian
• Experience in emergency settings
• Experience of working with network and/or partnership approaches
• Good sense of humour
To apply, please send an updated CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the required criteria to EME- HRD email at: [email protected]
Closing date: 01st of September 2019
Interview week: to be defined- during September
Start date: As soon as possible
This post is open for International candidates, National Professionals and returning applicants are welcome to apply
Applications who does not include a covering letter will be disregarded
HelpAge International is an equal opportunities employer.
HelpAge International encourages older people and people with disabilities from those who possess the minimum requirements of the post to apply.
HelpAge International is committed to providing our staff with continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to thrive within an inclusive and diverse environment. As part of us
commitment to promoting gender diversity, we are a member of the Business in the Community gender campaign