Wash Coordinator – Amman , Jordan
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
GOAL has been working in North Aleppo Governate since 2019, through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, as well as emergency support for recently displaced household.
The WASH Coordinator (WASH Co) will be responsible for ensuring that GOAL interventions respond to the local context in a sustainable manner and are closely coordinated with other GOAL sector programmes
He/She will have strategic oversight of GOAL’s WASH strategy and operations across all GOAL’s areas of operation in Northwest Syria.
The WASH Co will be responsible for the overall management of water and sanitation activities, including (but not limited to) planning implementation of activities, supervising the activities to ensure that GOAL meets the agreed minimum standards, ensuring sound financial management of these activities, and providing management oversight of all water and sanitation staff. He/she will liaise closely with the field WASH teams, Programme Quality and the Area Coordinators to improve community participation and ownership of all water and sanitation activities and to improve programme quality. He/she will also liaise and coordinate with the GOAL Global Wash Advisor for technical and strategic support.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Programme Director (Emergencies, WASH & Shelter), The WASH Coordinator will work closely with the Shelter coordinator to ensure WASH and shelter programmings complement each other as per GOAL Syria strategic priorities. The WASH co will also collaborate with other members of the Programmes and Systems Team, and is responsible for promoting and ensuring an organizational culture where GOAL’s core values – Humanitarianism, Courage, Integrity, Respect and Partnership- are practiced, team work is encouraged and all staff feel valued.
GOAL will hire 1 professional for this position either in Turkey (to be based in Antakya/Hatay) or in Jordan (To be based in Amman). The position holder will occasionally travel between GOAL Offices in Turkey and Jordan.
Duties, objectives and competencies
Responsibility #1: High Quality Programme Development, Management & Implementation
Estimated % of Time: 35
The WASH Co will provide dynamic programmatic leadership and strategic direction to ensure technical and financial integrity of all GOAL WASH programmes, diversifying and strengthening the portfolio, ensuring on-time and technical programme delivery, within relevant technical and donor technical specifications.
- **‘**pdate, develop if needed, and roll out the WASH strategy for North West Syria.
- **/**ead on WASH strategic programme direction for North West Syria.Ensure an integrated WASH programme approach to the programme implementation while maintaining excellence and accountability to beneficiary population and the donor through promotion of community participation and ownership.
- Plan, direct and coordinate technical and operational activities to ensure that project goals and objectives are accomplished with prescribed timeframes and funding parameters, and to exceptional quality
- Develop and manage the WASH budgets through monitoring program implementation of activities versus spend rates, and ensuring that that donor budgets are adhered to, and modified, as necessary.
- Contribute to and support on the development and production of proposals and narrative reporting to donors, ensuring they are delivered on time and to a high-quality technical standard.
- Ensure timely and technically appropriate responses to issues that may arise during implementation of WASH programming and seek innovative and robust solutions to those issues.
- Ensure WASH assessments are conducted in new areas to feed into the growth of the WASH portfolio and respond to unmet needs.
- Provide WASH sectoral leadership and technical support to needs assessments and their analysis and ensure their linkage to wider WASH strategy, programme plans and budgets.
- Lead on the development of tools, SOPs for the WASH programme to increase replicability of programmes.
- Work closely with the MEL Coordinator to ensure that a robust programme monitoring and evaluation framework exists to ensure quality and performance to standard.
- Ensure GOAL WASH Monitoring and Evaluation tools are fit for purpose and regularly evaluated, and monitoring results and learnings are incorporated into the programmes.
- Ensure that achievements and best practices are captured and disseminated including the continual re-evaluation of programme activities and information, with resulting activity adjustments.
- Ensure compliance with donor regulations and procedures, including compliance with GOAL’s internal policies and guidelines.
- Encourage a learning and dynamic environment that facilitates two-way learning with various stakeholders, including other parts of GOAL. Promote semi-annual programme learning and reflections to strengthen the quality of the program and to document learnings.
- Work with the communications department to share information, stories and extract lessons learnt on WASH programming, on the GOAL website and other public forums, and in collaboration with the Global WASH Advisor, eventually feedback the lessons learnt to other GOAL countries.
Job Responsibility #2: Lead, Mentor, and Manage WASH Programme staff
Estimated % of Time: 25
- S/he will be responsible for providing effective supervision, leadership, coaching and guidance to the WASH staff located across the two countries (Syria and Turkey) and for the development of human resources to ensure a skilled, motivated and collaborative workforce.
- Ensure the proper Implementation of GOAL’s performance management system for direct reports, including individual and project planning, , regular feedback, coaching and mentoring, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Support an organisational culture that reflects GOAL’s mandate, values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourage a team culture of learning, and innovation.
- Oversee the recruitment and orientation of new direct reports
- Maintain a focus on the training and development needs of the programmes team and support HR to arrange capacity development exercises as
- Ensure that all key programme staff has a common and appropriate understanding of the programmatic approaches and priorities
- Frequent travels to Syria, for field teams’ meetings, capacity building and closely oversee some of the field activities and develop a clear guidance to the team on any areas of improvements.
Responsibility #3: WASH Programme Technical Oversight
Estimated % of Time: 15
- Ensure WASH technical standards are embedded into the WASH programme, where appropriate and relevant.
- Participate in the development of technical and innovation tools related to WASH projects (Monitoring tools, Technical requirements, ToRs for consultants and evaluators) in direct relation with the Assistant Programme Director (Emergencies, WASH & Shelter), Senior Programme Quality Coordinator and MEL Coordinator.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to the WASH team in Syria to assure quality implementation standards are anticipated and properly addressed
- In coordination with the WASH advisor, strengthen the capacity of the WASH team to create technical documentation (drawings, specifications and bills of quantities). Review and provide technical guidance on the documentation.
- Lead, in conjunction with the WASH advisor, GOAL’s WASH preparedness and response plans.
- Stay abreast of the latest innovations, practices and technology in the WASH sector to provide technical recommendations and input to programme development and strategy.
- In coordination with the WASH advisor, provide technical assistance, or find alternative sources of technical advice as necessary, to programmes on Shelter, including low cost and innovative technologies.
- Ensure commitment of the WASH team to cross cutting areas such as gender, protection, DRR and environmental sustainability within all WASH programming. Ensure integration with other key sectors such as GOAL nutrition programming.
Job Responsibility #3: Coordination and Collaboration
Estimated % of Time: 10
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with the Shelter coordinator to ensure integration of WASH components into the broader GOAL Syria WASH & Shelter programmes to align with GOAL Syria strategic objectives to linkage WASH & shelter.
- Coordinate and collaborate closely with the Assistant Programme Director (Emergencies, WASH & Shelter) to ensure integration of WASH component into the broader GOAL Syria programmes.
- Participate in WASH programme planning, implementation and review meetings to assure synergies in GOAL Syria multi-sectoral programmes.
Responsibility #4: Representation and Networking
Estimated % of Time: 15
- Lead the team to be well positioned with donor, government, and strategic partners with respect to its current and future programme. Participate in the relevant donor, government, and civil society fora to promote good development practices and a relevant role for GOALs WASH programmes.
• Ensure GOAL is appropriately represented in external coordination mechanisms including the sector- specific clusters and technical working groups to ensure GOAL is represented as a key WASH actor, and ensure coordination and demonstration of GOAL’s WASH programme amongst key stakeholders
Requirements (Person Specification)
- Master level qualification in water and sanitation engineering, civil engineering, Public Health or relevant technical WASH specialization; OR equivalent senior experience in WASH programming managing large complex humanitarian projects at a senior level.
- At least five years of work experience with designing and implementing complex, high-value water and sanitation systems in IDPs, or refugee contexts, maintaining sanitation systems, and implementing hygiene promotion programs, including 2 years in a humanitarian setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in emergency and early recovery phases, including assessments and the design and delivery of effective water supply and hygiene promotion interventions in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching skills.
- Strong demonstrable experience in all aspects of programme management including programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial management and the design/utilisation of appropriate programme management tools, and the capacity to transfer this experience to others
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
- Experience and understanding of key institutional donors’ policies, guidelines and strategies e.g. BHA, ECHO, FCDO and UN
- Demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and collaborate with donors, partners, and stakeholders at all levels
- Demonstrated track record of working across teams and fostering partnerships across a variety of stakeholders at a senior level.
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, and to continually reprioritise multiple tasks as a result of new information.
- Arabic and English language proficiency
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in Idlib and Aleppo governorates and understanding of the humanitarian crisis in Syria
- Proven capacity for policy development, and long-term strategic planning
- An appreciation of WASH in health facilities and outbreak preparedness and/or response.
- Experience working with CLA and other participatory approaches
Requirements: GOAL Competencies:
- Communication with Impact
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Strategic decision making
- Coaching and mentoring
- Managing Performance for Success
- Planning and Organizing
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 26 December 2022 .
Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please do not respond.
“يرجى ملاحظة أن منظمة جول لا تفرض أي رسوم من أي نوع أو أي التزام مالي آخر في أي مرحلة من مراحل عملية التوظيف (الطلب ، المقابلة ، المعالجة ، التدريب ، التعريف) أو رسوم أخرى ، و لا تطالب بأي معلومات عن الحسابات المصرفية البنكيه للمتقدمين على الشواغر. لا تعمل جول مع المؤسسات . الوسيطة والأفراد أو وكالات التوظيف أثناء عملية التوظيف. في حالة طلب أي رسوم مستحقات منك خلال عملة التقديم على الوظائف الشاغره أو في أي مرحلة من مراحل عملية التوظيف ، يرجى إلابلاغ وعدم الاستجابه
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behavior protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.