Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH), with headquarters in Germany, is a humanitarian agency providing funds for emergency aid worldwide. DKH has its Regional Office for West and Central Asia (DKH RO Asia) based in Amman, Jordan which is tasked to oversee humanitarian operations responding to the Syria Crisis (Syria and its neighboring countries), and also in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Palestine territories.
It is DKH’s approach to implement Relief, Rehabilitation and Disaster Risk Reduction projects mainly through local Partner Organizations. The DKH RO is also on stand-by in case of need for partner support in acute emergencies in South and Southeast Asia.
The DKH RO team also provides technical and other backstopping support to all partner organizations within its area of responsibility. It continuously aims at increasing and further strengthening relations with its partners on the ground and building their capacities.
PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The position of Senior Livelihoods Advisor at the DKH Regional Office for West and Central Asia (DKH RO Asia) will be a key technical position to strengthen DKH RO Asia’s programmes and technical expertise on livelihoods standards and practises. The position’s objective is to streamline and harmonize programming, assessments and standards for project cycle management and MEAL tools on Livelihoods. This may involve development of standardized tools and guidelines (assessment, monitoring, best practises) as well as in-house training to ensure streamlining of Livelihood components across DKH RO Asia’s country programmes.
The consultancy will be an output-based position, initially around three (3) months duration, focusing on responsibilities under Sections 1&3 below, where after there is a possibility for a longer term engagement in technical advisory role with DKH RO Asia office (Sections 2&3).
The role would ideally require frequent travel to Amman, Jordan, but possibility of remote work can be discussed (considering Covid-19 pandemic restrictions and travel possibilities).
Working under the supervision of DKH Regional Coordinator for West and Central Asia and in close collaboration with DKH Country Program Coordinators, the Senior Livelihoods Advisor is responsible to fulfil the following tasks:
- Streamlining DKH programs in the West and Central Asia region
o Identify trends, developments and best practices of Livelihoods Programming in DKH programme countries
o Produce a Handbook/ Toolkit based on technical guidelines to ensure streamlining Livelihoods components into DKH RO Asia’s programs
o Develop tools as required to incorporate technically sound Livelihoods components into DKH’s programmes
o Recommend modalities/strategies to mainstream Livelihoods components to update existing DKH Strategy and country programs
2. Technical Support throughout DKH RO Asia’s project cycle /supporting country portfolios:
2.1 Program design, assessments, project implementation and MEAL
o Provide advice on integrating Livelihoods component into programs (activities, modalities, amount, indicators, risks etc.)
o Develop or tailor Livelihoods-related indicators and monitoring tools
o Ensure Livelihoods-related activities, indicators and relevant tools are streamlined across the programs,
o Conduct mid-term/final evaluation of Livelihoods activities of DKH RO Asia programs
o Design/Conduct assessments and evaluation of Livelihoods programming
2.2 Technical support to design, adapt and/or improve partner’s Livelihoods tools
o Identify and review DKH partners’ existing tools in Livelihoods and provide recommendations for improvement
o Ensure that the quality standards
o Identify and adopt Livelihood existing toolkits to local partner’s needs and the local context when needed
o Based on the existing literature review and evidence map, design Livelihood practical guidance notes specific to partners’ sectors of intervention
2.3 Promote best practices and knowledge sharing within the region
o Identify/Map best practices in Livelihoods programming in DKH programme countries
o Document DKH RO Asia’s/partners’ lessons learned and good practices
o Identify and disseminate relevant research/training opportunities to partners
o Update and build Livelihood section of existing technical library and evidence map
3. Capacity building:
In close cooperation with the DKH RO Capacity Building Program Coordinator:
o Assess capacity building needs on livelihood programming of DKH RO Asia and partners, if needed
o Integrate livelihood analysis component into DKH’s new “Capacity Building in Asia” programme
o Design content and deliver in-house trainings for DKH RO Asia staff on livelihoods programming standards and approaches, tools.
o Provide continuous technical guidance to DKH RO Asia staff, including on design and mainstreaming of Livelihoods-related components into programming and assessments
o Facilitate workshops, trainings for NGO staff or other stakeholders, as necessary
QUALIFICATION, EXPERTISE AND SKILLS
· At least 5 years of experience in similar positions/experience (program support, field-experience, technical skills) including a variety of livelihoods programming/modalities, including advocacy and policy, mainstreaming and providing technical support to programme development
· University degree (or comparable work experience) in a relevant field (ex. Humanitarian assistance, food security, economics, development, or related subject);
· Several years of technical experience in developing Livelihood evaluations, assessments and support to programming (indicators, standards etc)
· Proven experience as capacity building trainer/proven workshop facilitation experience and skills, incl. experience in delivering livelihood trainings to local partner organizations
· Familiar with international trends regarding livelihoods and localization, based among others on the outcomes of the World Humanitarian Summit, the Grand Bargain discussions
· Experience, specific interest in innovative solutions, integrating ‘environmental protection’ approach is an added value
· Languages: Fluent in written and spoken English. Arabic and/or Turkish, Urdu is a strong asset
· Experience in developing strategies/technical guidelines/handbooks for programmes in transition from humanitarian to longer-term development would be a plus.
· Experience in working with local partner organizations based on equal partnership principles and in providing technical and other backstopping support;
· Excellent training, coaching and mentoring skills with the ability to multitask
· Highly organized, detail oriented, and able to work under pressure with minimal supervision,
· Proactive initiative-taker and need for minimal supervision
· Energetic, independent yet excellent team player
· Outstanding personal attitude: especially sense of responsibility, concern for quality, result orientation; integrity, commitment, respect for diversity;
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application consisting of the following (all in English language):
- Scanned and signed cover letter outlining experience relevant to the advertised position and motivation (not more than 2 pages);
- Updated detailed C.V. (Pdf format) including three professional references.
Applications should be submitted by 15 June 2020 to the following address:
Please put in subject line: LIVELIHOOD consultancy
Please note that we may contact suitable candidates for an interview prior to the application deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.