Humanitarian Programme Manager
Job Opening _Humanitarian Programme Manager**
ActionAid Arab Region Initiative (AAAR) is looking for Humanitarian Programme Manager who is Lead and manage AAAR’s Humanitarian Programme to ensure effective coordination and operationalization of humanitarian programmes & projects with meaningful engagements with donors, I/NGOs, government stakeholders, partners and communities AAAR works with. Provide technical support and oversight of the protection, resilience/livelihoods and accountability components of the programme.
About ActionAid Arab Region
At ActionAid Arab Region Initiative we work with grass root organizations and civil society actors that have a strong focus on youth and women in local governance. ActionAid Arab Region Initiative (ARI) knows that to create lasting change, the root causes of poverty and injustice must be addressed and that affected communities must become the drivers of the change they want to see. Read more at http://actionaid.org/arab-region/arab-region-initiative
Job Title: Humanitarian Programme Manager
Department: Humanitarian Programme
Contracts Type : Fixed term
Salary range : 1824 – 2300
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Direct Reports: Lebanon Country Coordinator, Protection Advisor, Programme Governance Officer, Psychosocial Officer, Livelihood Officer, Safe Space Officers (2).
Areas of Responsibilities
Strategic Engagement :
· Contribute to the development of strategic plans and programmes of the Arab Region in accordance with the Regional Strategy.
· Ensure proactive planning and strategy development of humanitarian programming in the changing context of the protracted crisis in the region.
· Build and/or strengthen strategic relationships with all relevant stakeholders.
Ensure effective coordination within AAAR, and with ActionAid’s International Humanitarian, Accountability and Resilience Team (IHART) and the AA Federation globally
Humanitarian Programme :
· Provide strategic direction and management of AAAR’s Humanitarian programme, projects and teams in Jordan and Lebanon.
· Ensure up-to-date and critical analysis of the current humanitarian context in AAAR’s focus countries (Jordan, Lebanon and Syria) and the overall region.
· Maintain an updated risk assessment.
· Keep abreast of developments in humanitarian programming and international perspectives that inform effective implementation of AAAR’s Humanitarian Programme.
· Ensure the consistent implementation of, and alignment with ActionAid International’s (AAI’s) three key humanitarian signatures: Women’s leadership in emergencies; accountability to disaster and conflict affected communities; and shifting of power to local organizations, as well as AA’s women led community-based protection approach.
· Ensure each country has clear annual, quarterly & monthly plans in place, inclusive of all humanitarian projects, follow up on a regular basis and provide technical support and guidance as required.
· Ensure proper systems, tools and mechanisms are in place for the effective implementation of the protection, accountability and livelihoods/resilience components of the programmes.
Monitor the progress of the various projects and intervene when.
· necessary to ensure speed and quality. Coordinate closely with the MEAL Coordinator so that an effective and efficient monitoring, evaluation and learning system is in place.
· Ensure all required linkages for the programme/projects are in place to achieve the envisioned outputs, outcomes and impact.
· Closely monitor budgets and utilization.
· Coordinate with AAI’s International Humanitarian, Accountability and Resilience Team (IHART) and other relevant AAI thematic leads for technical support and guidance for the programme.
· Facilitate effective documentation of AAAR’s Humanitarian Programme – approaches, methodologies, and impact.
Develop Terms of Reference and manage consultants as necessary
Staff Management :
· Ensure all humanitarian staff undertake a comprehensive induction and are familiar with the vision, goals and objectives of the organization’s humanitarian programme, as well as all AAAR’s policies and approaches/ways of working to achieve mutual understanding, practice of ActionAid’s values and principles, and compliance to programme requirements. In particular, ensure comprehensive understanding of ActionAid’s Safeguarding policies.
· Ensure all staff is familiar with and adhere to the Core Humanitarian Standards.
· Guide and support the programme team to link with identified agencies, institutions, forums and networks relevant to the Humanitarian programme.
· Ensure meaningful programme team meetings are implemented regularly.
· Undertake staff capacity assessments and organize capacity building to address gaps.
Ensure the staff jod descriptions are up-to-date and performance reviews are undertaken in a timely manner. Provide guidance, mentoring and support to team members.
· Support AAAR’s localization policy in all aspects of the humanitarian programme and promote the inclusion of local partners in coordination and advocacy meetings and events.
· Provide overall strategic management of the Humanitarian Programme’s local partners and adherence to AA’s partnership approach.
· Ensure partner proposals, plans, budgets and MOUs are developed in a timely manner, with support provided as required.
· Undertake partner appraisals and capacity assessments as necessary and ensure a capacity strengthening plan is in place for each and every local partner.
· Provide induction for partner staff on AA’s HRBA, women-led community based protection, accountability, safeguarding and all other relevant policies.
Provide inception workshops for all new projects/activities to ensure clarity, shared expectations and compliance to finance standards and donor requirements.Fundraising
Policy Advocacy & Campaigns
· Engage in evidence-based Policy/Advocacy work in collaboration with Policy team of AAAR nationally and internationally.
· Coordinate with AAAR Policy team to ensure evidence based policy work is in place, particularly with regard to the three key humanitarian signatures: Women’s leadership in emergencies, accountability to disaster and conflict affected communities; and shifting of power to local organizations, engaging at local, national and international levels.
Advocate with stakeholders whenever necessary on AAAR’s humanitarian policy positions
Grants and compliance :
· In conjunction with the Head of Grants and Compliance, support the development of concept notes and proposals relating to Humanitarian activities. Proactively develop innovative ideas for concept notes.
· Ensure all requirements for proposal development is followed up; eg; assessments, data collection, context analysis, consultation with beneficiaries, etc.
· Engage with Fund Raising team to develop innovative fund-raising schemes and strategies.
· Actively seek funding opportunities and meet with potential donors to present AAAR’s Humanitarian Programme of AAAR and inspire their support.
· Ensure each donor’s requirements and guidelines are understood, adhered to and implemented by the team.
· Work with the Grants and Compliance team to ensure timely and relevant program report submissions to relevant donors and functions
Ensure visibility of AA ARI’s Humanitarian work with strategic stakeholders internally and externally.
Networking and participation in external platforms & Forums :
· Represent, or delegate to team members, and ensure AAAR’s active participation in UN Protection Cluster meetings, key technical working groups and in other relevant coordination bodies and networks locally and nationally, and internationally if required.
· Engage in meetings and events to highlight AAAR’s humanitarian work.
Represent ActionAid in meetings with Government agencies as necessary.
· Ensure effective and efficient coordination with all other AAAR teams and functions for the smooth operation of the programme.
· Mainstreaming transparency and accountability systems, tools and mechanism in AAAR.
· Ensure AAAR is adequately equipped and prepared for emergency response.
Ensure AA’s values, principles and HRBA is mainstreamed in the programme .
Key Relationships to reach solution :
Internal (to ActionAid or team) :
· Regional director and Programme coordinators
· Finance, Fundraising and Communication Teams
· International Humanitarian, Accountability and Resilience Team (IHART), AAI.
· AAAR’s NGO/CBO partners
· UN Clusters, Peer organizations, Govt. Stakeholders and existing networks / forums
· Humanitarian Programme donors
Education & Certifications : Relevant academic degree, preferably Master’s degree in development, management .
Essential Experience Knowledge and Skills :
- At least 6 years work experience in Humanitarian programming, preferably in protracted crises contexts, with a grounded understanding of the refugee crisis in the region.
- Good understanding of the humanitarian architecture and aid structure globally and nationally.
- People management skills and ability to remotely manage, mentor and monitor team members.
- Extensive experience in managing programmes/projects, including with multiple stakeholders and partners.
- A team player, able to build a strong team to achieve the envisioned goals and objectives.
- Experience managing institutional, bi-lateral and international donor funded projects, including financial management and budgeting.
- Excellent interpersonal communication/negotiation skills.
· Demonstrated strong skills in partnership development and management and networking with government, civil society and other stakeholders
Desirable Knowledge, Experience and Skills :
· Management of not-for-profit programmes with a Human Rights Based Approach.
· Ability to work in both written/oral English and Arabic.
Results oriented person; ability to manage multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Personal Qualities :
Mutual respect, Equity and justice, Honesty and transparency, Solidarity with the poor, Courage of conviction, Independence, Humility
This Job Description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
It is part of every staff member’s responsibility to contribute to AAI’s mission and comply to AAI’s values, which are: Mutual respect, Equity and justice, Honesty and transparency, Solidarity with the poor, Courage of conviction, Independence, Humility
With your CV, motivation cover letter should be sent to:[email protected] (only received CVs on this email will be considered) please clearly indicate which position you are applying for, you will not be considered without putting this title in the subject bar. We respect all candidates but we can only respond to shortlisted candidates.