Health and Safety Associate (H&S Associate)
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, so as to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The Health and Safety (H&S) Associate will report directly to the Project Manager and will ensure full coordination with the Senior Water Network Engineer and other project team members. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the main duties of the H&S Officer is to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety guidelines and to provide advice on measures needed in order to minimize hazards or unhealthy situations in the (Urgent improvement of water sector for the host communities of Syrian refugees in northern governorate phase 2 )The H&S Associate need to establish a safe workplace according to legal standards and foster a culture of attention to health and safety in all the phases of the project.
The H&S Associate work shall focus on prevention of accidents and to be detail-oriented and ready to act in emergencies.
Specifically, the H&S Associate will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
a- Technical tasks:
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.)
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures
- Initiate and organize OHS training for UNOPS project team. Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
- Oversee installations, maintenance, disposal of substances etc.
- Check and stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy
- Record and investigate incidents to determine the cause.
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management
- Support the PM to ensure a safe workplace environment without risk to health. Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated
- Ensure the contractor meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including statutory training and reporting
- Ensure that all accidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, safety inspections, risk assessments, lone working procedures are managed, and employees are aware of their responsibilities in relation to health and safety issues.
- Co-ordinate the development of health & safety policies, systems of work and procedures.
- Ensure full and accurate health and safety training records are documented.
- Establish a full programme of documented health & safety inspections, audits and checks.
- Establish a structured programme of health & safety training for project staff.
- Liaise with external health & safety (contractor H&S) in the provision of training for health and safety services.
- Manage and devise the agenda for, chair and formulate & distribute minutes for the Health & Safety Committee meetings.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work legislation and communicate relevant changes to the business.
- Provide regular reports to the Project Manager on relevant health and safety activities.
- Participate in monthly project team meetings when required to report on relevant health & safety matters.
- Ensure all precautionary signs are installed in proper areas.
- Maintain Site Safety inspection register
b- Administrative tasks:
- Support the Project Manager in raising awareness on Health and Safety Issues between team members
- Perform any other tasks relevant to Health and Safety when required.
Monitoring and Project Controls
- Active participation in weekly site progress meetings.
- Provide needed assistance/ training on Health and Safety.
- Implement UNOPS guidance on IOSH or health and safety standards and procedures to be implemented by all project team members.
- Prepare a monthly report on issues faced and criteria used to avoid such accident in the future.
- Daily field inspection to make sure all field staff are taking the health and safety measures into consideration.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Bachelor degree from a reputable university in safety management, engineering or relevant field is required.
- At least 3 years of experience in occupational health and safety is required.
- Candidates with experience working with of UN or other international Humanitarian/ Development organization is highly desirable.
- Certificate in occupational health and safety is desired.
- Full fluency in Arabic and English is required.
- Residency in Irbid Governorate is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support, level 7
- Contract duration Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.