Context of the mission:
MSF France is running since 2006 a comprehensive reconstructive surgery program for victims of
Conflicts from neighboring countries in Amman, Jordan. These activities include transfer of
Patients from their country of origin (Yemen, Iraq, Syrians in Jordan, Gaza), surgery (plastic,
Orthopedics and maxilla-facial), physiotherapy, psycho-social care and food & accommodation.
The project is located in Al Mowasah Hospital, 148 beds, 8 floors; 200-250 patients present
Including hotels and flats. There are approximately 60 IPD admissions per month and 800 consultations per month, around 220 patients presents in Amman.
Discover MSF Reconstructive Surgery Hospital in the below link:
Being responsible for MSF’s operational response in the Mission. In collaboration with the operational cell, defining the mission operational strategy. Coordinating MSF’s program execution, identifying humanitarian challenges, representing MSF’s interests before third parties. Ensuring compliance to MSF’s charter, ethical standards and policies as well as international and national laws and regulations, in order to realize organizational objectives and reach quality targets for the Mission.
- Monitoring and analyzing the political, humanitarian and medical situation in the country and in the region. Identifying potential fields of intervention and determining response strategies.
- Representing MSF towards external actors (national authorities, NGO’s, donors, military organizations, media, etc.) to create commitment and negotiate terms and conditions for field operations.
- Integrating an internal and external communication policy for the mission to advocate for change.
- Leading the implementation of medical-humanitarian activities in the mission.
- Coordinating with other MSF sections to initiate, coordinate and develop short- and long-term strategies in-country.
- Evaluating the progress and outcomes of activities to ensure that objectives are achieved and reporting to Headquarters
- Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all human, material and financial resources to ensure the overall performance of the mission
- Leading the mission and its staff, providing a clear vision for the direction of the mission and bringing staff together across functional and geographical lines to achieve the mission’s objectives
- Managing, coaching and developing direct reports in line with human resource policies
- Implementing Human Resources-policy and ensuring that MSF acts as a responsible employer in terms of working conditions and reduction of security and health risks.
- Ensuring staff and management team are aware of mission strategies, ambitions and implementation plans
- Ensuring the associative character of MSF is reflected in the briefing of all MSF staff.
- Ensuring the internal and external flow of information.
- Keeping staff and HQ informed and updated of context and security related issues.
- Producing all required planning and program performance reports in line with the HQ reporting cycle.
- Being responsible for all security aspects of the mission.
- Defining and ensuring the implementation of the security framework in the country, in order to ensure safety of staff and visitors across the mission.
- Ensuring the implementation of the Inter-operational directorate Security Agreement (ISA) in the mission, both in spirit and letter, promoting a culture of pro-active information sharing and collaboration.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- The HoM is directly responsible for all OCP’s activities in Jordan
- S/He leads for OCP and in collaboration with other sections, the monitoring of the medico-humanitarian situation in the country, assessing needs and tailoring relevant responses
- S/he is in Jordan is responsible for the development of MSF operational response in Jordan and is fully in charge of the Reconstructive Surgery Project (RSP) in terms of strategy and development whiule the management of the reconstructive surgery Hospital is under the of the Hospital Director (currently Operational Deputy HoM position)
- S/He defines the RSP operational strategy in collaboration and frequent consultations with the Operational cell and the heads of missions of neighboring countries (mainly Iraq, Palestine, Yemen and Syria)
- S/He is responsible to define the internal and external communication framework of the mission
- S/He maintains the associative spirit and encourages association initiatives
- S/He is responsible of the security of the mission.
- The Head of Mission of OCP has the current delegation of MSF International for representing MSF in Jordan. This delegation is decided collegially by an in-country board governing the Host Country Agreement (HCA) signed between MSF and the GoJ. In this position the Head of Mission is representing all sections regardless, and works for the best achievements of all operational and non-operational activities.
- The HoM represents OCP at the board, the Country Representatives represents the board’s decisions.
- Together with the Protocol Office, leads the negotiations with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates (MoFAE) for the good implementation of the HCA.
Head of Mission:
- Represents the interests of the mission in front of all relevant authorities.
- Together with the Surgical Coordinator, the Network coordinator and the Director of the Hospital, develops strategic partnerships with academic institutions (universities…) and official medical union or associations.
- Leads representations regionally when needed.
Context & Emergencies
- Jordan is sitting in the midst of the Middle Eastern turmoil, therefore, the HoM:
- Keeps close ties with the relevant clusters, liaising with GoJ, UN, (I)NGOs
- Is responsible for monitoring and analyzing the political, security and humanitarian context in Jordan and the countries surrounding.
- Is responsible for proposing pertinent responses for any need identified in the country.
- Based on the assessments provided by the Admission networks, facilitate regional collaborations with other missions / sections / organisations. S/He might propose specific interventions in those countries.
Reconstructive Surgery Project (RSP)
- The HoM is the head of the Reconstructive Surgery Project (RSP). The RSP is a regional program of late reconstruction of war wounded. It comprises of a Hospital, in Amman, and a regional network for admissions, partnerships and knowledge sharing. The HoM:
- Leads the strategic vision and the good definition and follow up of the multiyear strategic plan
- Leads the deployment of the regional strategies
- Leads the development of the Training Center
- Mentors and orient all the different stakeholders in charge of the activities.
- Promotes a culture of empowerment and care within the mission
- Delegates daily management of activities to the other team members, ensuring smooth collaborations and fair exchanges
- Provides an overview over projects and programs’ outcomes, and evaluate their evolution, final results and achievements.
- Represents and defends MSF’s interests before Jordan political authorities in order to develop and effectively implement RSP in the country
Irbid and Mafraq
- Ensures in the coming sixth month to assess the relevance of the Mental Health and Psycho Social Support program in Irbid and Mafraq
- If not ensures a smooth handover to another partner
- Stays alert to the humanitarian situation in the country, especially towards the Syrian and non Syrian refugee population, migrant workers and vulnerable nationals.
- Is responsible for ensuring coordination of actions with other MSF sections in the mission-country/region.
- Is accountable for defining operational orientations, and defending new propositions with HQ
- Is accountable for planning operations, including a rational use of means and resources to carry out projects and programs.
- Is accountable for implementing the first phases of any operational development of new projects and ensuring full hand-over to country coordinators
- Manages directly the Procurement Unit in Amman
- Is responsible for the administrative management of the hosted positions (regional technical support, intersection pharmacist, mobility manager…)
- Supervises the work of the Protocol Office
- Supervises the Finance and HR coordinator and ensures best practices in budget control and HR benevolence
Education: University degree in a relevant field (international relations, business administration…)
- At least five years in management positions in humanitarian aid.
- Essential experience with MSF or other NGOs
- Essential working experience in developing countries.
Languages: English mandatory, French and Arabic are assets.
Knowledge: Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
Competencies : Strategic Vision L3. Leadership L3. Networking L4. Cultural L4
Terms of employment:
Work location: Amman- Jordan
Contractual status: Fixed term contract – Full time – Minimum 12 months.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Application deadline: July 2nd ,2020
Reports to (Hierarchical): Cell based Operational Manager/Programme Manager**
Reports to (Functional): Cell based Operational Manager/Programme Manager
Supervises (Function): Hospital Director / Surgical Coordinator / Procurement Coordinator / Network and admission coordinator / FinHR coordinator. Country Legal advisor and Protocol Office Manager
This job description is subject to change depending on activities of the Mission.
How to apply
Kindly send your application (letter of interest and CV) to:
Only selected candidates will be contacted
Any applications submitted without letter of interest/cover letter will not be considered