Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Job Description and Requirements
General job description
Working within the framework established by the organisation, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager ensures the consistency and quality of the delegation’s M&E strategies and activities. He/she coordinates and supervises M&E teams and takes responsibility for decisions and actions in the M&E field, operating in coordination with the project, programme and under the supervision and guidance of the Q&A coordinator.
The Manager ensures that the Programme teams are given appropriate and effective methodological support consistent with the approaches and tools used within the delegation in the M&E field.
He/she ensures that M&E applies to and is an integral part of all Tdh programming departments, and that the M&E department plays a support role for the rest of the organisation.
He/she ensures that a consistent approach to M&E is adopted in regional (multi-country) projects, large-scale projects and/or integrated programmes.
He/she supports an institutional culture that encourages critical thinking, collective learning and teamwork, as part of the organisation’s focus on quality and accountability.
He/she helps develop a dynamic approach to M&E inside and outside Tdh (as part of regional partnerships, networks, centres of expertise, working groups, etc.).
- Helps develop and implement the delegation’s strategic M&E orientations under the guidance of the Q&A coordinator, and in coordination with the Programme Coordinator and, if applicable, thematic reference persons.
- Helps implement an appropriate and effective M&E system that, where possible, brings together project and programme partners during the monitoring plan design phase, and during the sharing and using of data at a delegation level.
- Plans M&E activities and oversees their implementation; manages and supervises related resources at the delegation level.
- Ensures ethical principles related to M&E are respected, especially those concerning gender equality, fairness and “do no harm”. Protects confidential data, applies the principles of informed consent, and protects children during the collection, processing, analysis and use of M&E data at the overall delegation level.
- Ensures a department structure is set-up, with job descriptions, competencies, and the units resources sufficiently to function effectively under the supervision of the Q&A coordinator.
- Manages team members answering to him/her team members, from the recruitment phase to the end of their employment. Adopts good management practices in keeping with Tdh’s values. Applies the delegation’s staff management policy.
- Ensures the optimal allocation and proper management of the delegation’s M&E resources (including financial, logistical, technical and human resources). Monitors M&E budgets monthly.
- Ensures project and programme teams take part in monitoring projects and works towards optimal cooperation within the delegation in the M&E field.
- Ensures clear communication within and outside the team on the departments work plans, support needed and utilization of M&E resources.
- Establishes a detailed capacity development plan for the M&E unit and ensures that this plan is realized with the team members as a part of their professional development plan.
- Ensures a tight collaborative working relationship is built and maintained between the M&E unit, Senior L&D Officer, Accountability Officer, Information management Officer in order to avoide duplication and to maintain synergy across the different functions within the Q&A unit.
- Ensure findings from assessments, previous evaluation & capitalisation processes, ongoing monitoring and other research inform all new proposals.
- Helps develop logrames and write sections on M&E indicators, budgets and organisational measures for all new project proposals. When requires, to facilitate problem tree analysis, Theory of chang, and program risk assessment processes.
- Provides methodological support during the development of M&E systems and plans, and ensures a consistent approach is adopted across all projects and programmes. Especially ensure monitoring processes are systemized, in ways that meet donor requirements, and are cost-effective, avoids duplicative processes, and minimises beneficiary fatigue.
- Develop, review and approve project level M&E plans for all new and ongoing projects.
- Ensures baseline measurements for projects and thematic areas across the delegation.
- Ensures monitoring directives, methodological guidelines and tools are understood and implemented at Tdh. Especially ensure TDH’s frontline and technical staff are equipped with knowledge, tools and resources to support M&E at the program & delegation level.
- Ensures monitoring tools are relevant and meet the project, program and delegation level information needs.
- Ensure partner & direct implementation is monitored on a regular basis for quality standards, and humanitarian principles through schedule visits, data quality audits, spot check / verification visits against reports, and reports reviews (as per agreed schedule with donors and partners). Informs the Project Leader and/or Programme Coordinator of any unmet targets, contextual changes (risks and opportunities) and negative effects on beneficiaries.
- Ensure M&E findings are presented at the program review meetings on a monthly basis, and prompt critical thinking at project management & senior management level.
- Ensure donor, and other internal reporting deadlines are met with high quality reports with accurate information.
- Provides advice and methodological support during the recruitment of experts for M&E activites (by drafting terms of reference and recruiting and supporting consultants).
- Monitors development in the M&E field while building the delegation’s knowledge and capitalizing on lessons learned in this area.
- Ensures evaluation processes for all projects and thematic areas.
- Ensures appropriate dissemination of project and program level evaluation findings.
- Ensures all M&E related data, reports, and records are clearly organized archived in a central location for future reference at a delegation level.
Use of M&E data
- Ensures that M&E data is used optimally during operational and strategic decision-making at the delegation in accordance with head office and donor requirements, especially with respect to institutional reporting.
- Ensures the all projects are visible with updated PMP’s, beneficiary data, project progress reports that are reviewed and validated for compliance and accuracy.
- Takes measures to build the skills of teams and partners in the M&E field.
- Fosters a learning environment amongst the M&E teams and programme staff and promotes critical reflection in the field of M&E.
Security and child safety
- Understands and applies security policies, the Child Safeguarding Policy and fraud prevention policies
Competencies: This position requires personal, social and leadership competencies (PSLC) and technical and methodological competencies (TMC), and managerial and strategic competencies (MSC)
- Ability to work independently and make decisions, as well as to provide support and advice
- Ability to create a cooperative and collaborative environment
- Excellent conceptual and strategic analysis skills
- Discipline, precision, transparency and intellectual honesty
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (in constructive negotiations) in all areas (internal and external), active listening skills
- Flexibility, availability and adaptability
- Results-oriented focus and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to learn from negative experiences, capitalizing on errors and seizing opportunities
Other professional skills required:
- Expertise in project cycle management, detailed knowledge of concepts, processes and tools, and experience in leading participative processes.
- Proven experience in managing multidisciplinary teams in the M&E field
- Expertise in developing, planning and implementing systems, procedures and tools in the M&E field
- Knowledge of and experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods in the humanitarian aid/development sector. Experience in collecting and analysing data
- Experience in preparing, planning and monitoring consultations in the M&E field
- Awareness and knowledge of ethical issues related to M&E: do no harm and sensitivity to gender and diversity
- Knowledge of and professional experience in the children’s rights field (protection and health) in the humanitarian aid/development context.
- Excellent skills with all of the following tools: Advance Excel functions, SPSS /Stata/EpiData, QGIS / Grass GIS, Google Fusion, ODK/KoBo tool box, PRA, Tableau, R studio, Qlik, etc.
Please submit your resumes on the following email address naming it (Reliefweb/”NAME OF APPLICANT” /M&EM):