Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Capacity Building Specialist
USAID/Jordan Syria Accountability and Research Team (ART) Activity
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US Government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
The Accountability and Research Team (ART) activity will increase the USAID/Middle East Bureau’s (MEB) understanding of the outputs, progress, challenges, successes, and lessons learned per the bureau’s activities in Syria. The ART activity, led by Proximity International with Social Impact, will:
- Establish a third-party monitoring (TPM) system to independently monitor, verify, and analyze the results of activities in Syria funded by USAID/MEB
- Provide high quality research and analysis services to inform USAID/MEB strategy
- Strengthen the capacity of USAID/MEB and implementing partners’ staff to improve performance monitoring and data analysis.
The period of performance for ART is three years, with two option years. Estimated start date for the position is July-August 2020. Work, to be managed overall by the MEB’s Southern Syria Assistance Platform (SSAP) in Amman, will be performed in Syria, with secondary work performed in Jordan, Iraq, Turkey, and Germany.
**Please Note: This is a local position. Only Jordanian citizens or residents of Jordan are eligible to apply.
Social Impact (SI) seeks a senior-level MEL Capacity Building Specialist to provide technical and managerial leadership for MEL capacity building and CLA uptake across the ART mechanism. S/he will propose innovative MEL capacity building, CLA and knowledge management (KM) methods for USAID/MEB Syria activities, applying state-of-the-art capacity building and organizational learning methods that complement broader ART activities and implementing partner (IP) engagement. S/he will also organize structured learning events for USAID, IPs, and other stakeholders.
The MEL Capacity Building Specialist will work full-time for the duration of the activity and will be based in Amman, Jordan. No travel to Syria is expected.
- Lead and manage MEL capacity building, learning, and CLA uptake across the ART mechanism.
- Manage a full suite of MEL capacity building activities including a MEL Capacity Assessment using Proximity’s capacity assessment tool, other assessment instruments (e.g., surveys); synthesis and presentation of Capacity Assessment findings; and design and delivery of MEL trainings and technical assistance.
- Propose innovative CLA and KM strategies and methods for USAID/MEB.
- Design, organize, and conduct as needed structured learning events for USAID, IPs, and other activity stakeholders.
- Oversee the KM team and the KM platform, information and database management, and the uptake of stabilization program information overall.
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field, such as international development, international affairs, monitoring and evaluation, social sciences, economics, governance, health, environment, education, organizational management, or communications is required.
- At least eight years of experience leading, advising, and supporting MEL and capacity development with USAID-funded projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitation and training in both large, formal settings and strong interpersonal skills for coaching and mentoring in informal settings.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation, project design, and learning, including experience in applying learning to improve development programs and systems change for adaptive management of development organizations or agencies.
- Ability to work well with data visualization tools (ArcGIS, SPSS and Excel).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong familiarity with required USAID MEL policies and procedures, including with the related ADS requirements.
- Exceptional proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Ability and willingness to travel in Syria.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
How to apply