Livelihood Advisor, Jordan and Iraq
Livelihood Advisor Jordan / Iraq
Place of assignment: Amman or Erbil
Position length and closing date
The closing date for applications is 7 April 2019
Contract duration: 1 year, with possibility of extension
The World Service is the internationally recognized humanitarian and development arm of the Lutheran World Federation, assisting people in need irrespective of their ethnicity, religion or gender. We implement programs worldwide, working with both local and international partners, helping communities achieve their full potential and advocate for their universal rights. Our partners include Lutheran Churches and their related agencies, the European Commission (ECHO), the US Government (BPRM) and UN agencies. For additional information please see www.lutheranworld.org.
Purpose of the position
In order to ensure timely and quality implementation of programs in the field of education, livelihood and protection, the LWF Jordan / Iraq office is seeking to recruit a Livelihood Advisor to reinforce livelihood activities in Jordan and Iraq. The Livelihood Advisor will support the development of specific livelihood programming and projects, including but not limited to increasing and protecting assets, building capacities and promoting market-driven approaches to sustain needs and diversify income, helping promote an enabling institutional environment for resilient livelihoods, as well as mainstreaming of livelihood-related considerations in other programming (protection). Based on LWF’s overall values, ensuring gender and climate responsive livelihoods programming is an integral part of the scope of work for the position.
- Masters degree in rural development, economics, business, other relevant field.
Knowledge and Experience
- 5 years of experience in humanitarian work with a combination of experience in livelihood with at least 3 years’ experience implementing programs in the area of livelihood, agricultural development, microfinance, vocational training, value chain management etc.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of food security and sustainable livelihood.
- Ability to coordinate staff and partner at distance and ensure their capacity building. Planning, monitoring and evaluation skills in direct and remote management intervention.
- Ability to work well both within a team and independently, in a challenging, fast-paced multicultural environment.
- Excellent writing skills, including previous proposal writing experience, working knowledge of Arabic an advantage.
- Experience in working in complex emergencies, coordinating and supporting programs through remote management.
- Experience of working group and/or refugee contexts a plus.
- Passionate about serving the poor.
- Commitment to LWF Values.
- Committed to team-building.
- Able to develop and support other team members.
- Driver’s license.
English advanced verbal and written skills required
Arabic basic skills an advantage
Program Support and Development
- Technically advise the Program Coordinators and Senior Project Officer(s) on all livelihood-related activities (including concept notes and proposals) within the LWF Jordan and Iraq programs.
- Develop and contextualize relevant livelihood approaches and training material to be used in general programming and specific livelihood programming for right holders, staff / incentive workers, government and local partners.
- Contribute to developing SMART indicators in the field of livelihood (programming and mainstreaming) and ensure that effective M&E tools and mechanisms are operational within project teams.
- Assist relevant program / project staff in organizing project kick-off meetings, including support to developing detailed project implementation plans with livelihood teams.
- Undertake regular monitoring of livelihood-related activities, with focus on actual impact, provide recommendations to relevant staff and help support the implementation of the recommendations.
- Review and provide quality backstopping of reports from a livelihood perspective, including assistance to analysis and interpretation of livelihood-related data.
- Contribute to the development of the regional and country based livelihood strategy and interventions within an integrated country program strategy.
- In coordination with the Program Coordinators and Grants Manager, help identify relevant funding opportunities in the field of livelihood and draft programmatic sections of proposals ensuring alignment with overall indicators and a rights-based approach (including feedback cycles) into all project development.
- Establish and develop Standard Operating Procedures (SoP) as appropriate.
- Temporarily fill gaps in livelihood teams if / when required.
Representation, Coordination & Partnership
- Participate actively in Livelihood Working Groups and other coordination forums and ensure that relevant feed-back is collected and fed back to the LWF Jordan and LWF Iraq program teams.
- Support the Country Representative and Program Coordinators in establishing and maintaining working relations and collaboration with relevant authorities, working closely with the relevant ministries (Ministries of Agriculture, Labor, Education), relevant senior project officers and other thematic advisors, to ensure the effective implementation of activities.
- Liaise and consult with the LWF WS Global Livelihood Advisor in Geneva as per need.
- Participate in the development of advocacy messages regarding livelihood issues.
- Where appropriate, lead joint trainings with ACT members as needed.
- Adhere to LWF policies and procedures (in particular finance manual and logistics and procurement manual) to ensure that goods and services are purchased following established guidelines, with correct authorization and within budgetary limitations.
- Support program / project staff in developing realistic budgets for livelihood-related activities, in particular for training / workshops / capacity building activities.
- Participate in recruiting and building capacity of livelihood staff
- Provide support and on the job training for general staff, including management, and more specifically, ongoing support, training and coaching for livelihood staff;
- Provide input to the performance review of livelihood staff
- Actively seek out formal and informal training opportunities for livelihood staff and partners and help ensure dissemination of knowledge obtained through training
Applicants are required to uphold the core values of our organization.
To apply, please click on the following link:https://lutheranworld.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0jtuo?cjb_hash=O_EMsR16&ap…