LAN and Windows servers upgrade ICT Consultant
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Duration: 3 months
On-site working days: 72
Estimated Start Date: 28/10/2018
Estimated end Date: 28/01/2019
UNICEF is the leading United Nations agency on child rights (www.unicef.org). UNICEF works in 190 countries around the world and advocates for children, mothers and their well-being. The global strategy of UNICEF focuses on supporting child survival and development, basic education, child protection and policy advocacy. In countries affected by crises, UNICEF leads the humanitarian effort to help children and women living in challenging circumstances and provides support to help them to survive.
The ICT team is working on three technical projects to ensure that MENARO ICT infrastructure is aligned with the global UNICEF standards. These are: LAN cabling, Network equipment, and Servers upgrades. Therefore, ICT section is seeking a dedicated, highly motivated and proactive ICT Consultant with specialized experience in Windows Server 2016 and Networks deployment to support and successfully complete the implementations of these projects.
Provide timely and efficient support to:
- The LAN infrastructure upgrade project.
- The Network redesign and hardware upgrade project.
- Migrate the Windows 2008 cluster to Windows 2016.
DESCRIPTION OF ASSIGNMENT:
Under the direct supervision of the ICT officer in MENARO, the ICT consultant will play provide support as follows:
- LAN Infrastructure
- Closely monitoring the contractor implementation of the new LAN cabling.
- Escort the contractor for all ICT related activities and advise on the best way to assemble, place and lay down cables and network nodes.
- Test and Quality Assurance of all new infrastructure cabling components.
- Network equipment upgrade
- Support the deployment of the new network hardware standards.
- Provide technical support in equipment configuration.
- Testing of the new network design.
- Windows Server 2016
- Ensure all preparations for the server migration are in place.
- Racking and connecting the new servers.
- Provide technical support in Windows server installation and storage configurations.
- Full testing of the new Windows Hyper-V cluster.
- Disconnecting and removal of the old servers.
It is important to note that most of the activities above cannot always be aligned with the office official working hours, due to the need to avoid noise and disruptions during working hours, in addition to dependence on scheduled maintenance windows when service downtime is needed. Therefore, working after office regular working hours and over the weekends is expected.
Successful upgrade of MENARO LAN infrastructure with full testing for the new cables, power redundancy, and network nodes.
Office network redesigned as per the new UNICEF standards with replacement of all network equipment to be aligned with the new ICTD hardware standards.
Replacement of outdated servers hardware & storage and upgrade the Hyper-V cluster from Windows 2008 to Windows 2016.
Perform ICT duties as assigned by the supervisor.
TRAVEL CONSIDERATIONS: None
For individual contractors and consultants, all travel arrangements to commence the assignment, including insurance and visas, will be managed and paid by the individual. Therefore, expected travel costs must be included as a budget item in the financial proposal. Should “mission travel” be required, UNICEF will manage and pay for travel via Travel Authorization. However, this will be subject to the following prerequisites: Medical Clearance, Security Clearance through the Travel Request Information Process (TRIP) system, the Basic and Advanced Security in the Field Trainings, Travel Visa, and liability waiver. Trip prerequisites will be met at the expense of the consultant.
Travel cost shall be calculated based on economy class travel, regardless of the length of travel. Costs for accommodation, meals and incidentals shall not exceed applicable daily subsistence allowance (DSA) rates, as promulgated by the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC at http://icsc.un.org). The consultant must travel on UNICEF approved airlines.
1. Education: A first University Degree in Computer/Information System Management.
2. Work experience: 3+ years practical professional work experience in the ICT field.
3. Technical knowledge: Mandatory (CCNA, MCSA), and Desired (ITIL, Windows Server 2016, LAN cabling, Network switches configuration.
4. Language: Fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic.
12. PROPOSED PAYMENT SCHEDULE
Monthly payments: Lump sum payment will be made monthly, inclusive of all professional fees, daily allowances, living allowances, and other administrative costs. Overtime, weekend and official holidays will not be compensated, nor will any holiday/leave time be granted.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit:
- Cover letter/application.
- Financial quote as lump sum for professional fees, and lump sum for travel/administrative/subsistence, if applicable.
- Examples of previous, relevant work as applicable
- Proposed methodology/approach to managing the project.
- At least 3 Referees
- P 11 form (which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html ).
Late submissions, incomplete packets, or submissions will not be considered.
Successful applicants may be invited for further technical assessment and offers will be evaluated.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=516936