Deputy Regional Representative MENA
Founded in 1962, ICVA (International Council of Voluntary Agencies) is a global network of over 100 non-governmental organisations (NGOs) active in 160 countries, operating at global, regional, national and local levels, whose mission is to make humanitarian action more principled and effective by working collectively and independently to influence policy and practice.
Based on its 2019-2021 Strategy, ICVA promotes and facilitates NGO engagement in the development of humanitarian sector, with a focus on Forced Migration, Humanitarian Coordination, Humanitarian Financing, and cross cutting issues.
While historically based in Geneva, ICVA in 2013 expanded its presence to Asia, MENA and Africa aiming at:
- Ensuring closer proximity with its members in the regions;
- Expanding representation to regional or global humanitarian and political actors based in these regions;
- Developing stronger links between field realities and global policies.
II. Place in the organisation
Reporting to the ICVA MENA Regional representative, the Regional Programme Officer supports the execution of the ICVA strategy in the MENA region and is part of the ICVA Secretariat. She/he also works with the ICVA Geneva Directors of Policy/Programme and the Regional teams, along with the Director of Finance and Administration. He/she will be supported by the Regional Representatives in four focus areas in accordance with the Theory of change and annual workplans.
III. Objectives of the position
The Deputy Regional Representative supports the regional representative in setting the direction and focus of ICVAs work in the MENA region in the framework of the 2019-2021 Strategy. The position works with a diverse membership and she/he engages between ICVA, its members and partners in four focus areas, in order to strengthen principled and effective humanitarian action for all NGOs.
IV. Main Responsibilities/Tasks
Support and implementation of programmes framework and strategy:
- In alignment with ICVA strategy/theory of change and in collaboration with ICVA team and members, be part of designing programmes (log frames, work plans, budget and any other relevant documents).
Analysing and explaining:
- Support effective research, mapping, and advocacy for advancing ICVA’s work in MENA ; including to support planning and delivery of capacity building/learning activities with members and NGO fora by producing, and sharing and exchanging information, analyses and learning opportunities;
- Monitor and analyse national and regional policy developments and debate relating to the humanitarian scene in the region, including support in developing and implementing strategies to promote NGOs work and engagement at regional and national level;
- Support organising of ICVA-PHAP learning Streams tailored for the region;
- Contribute to the Monthly Bulletin;
- Manage with suppliers the translation into Arabic for ICVA papers and selected documents (bulletins, briefing papers, strategy, annual report);
- Maintain regional mailing list for members and other stakeholders and keep it up to date.
Influencing and advocating:
- Work closely with the Regional rep to ensure a strong and multi-faceted NGO voice from the region is reflected in key debates and decision-making forums in the region and global levels that affect humanitarian action;
- Support development of tools and materials such as policy briefs, policy recommendations, summaries of key conferences/meetings, petitions etc., in order to share/promote and advance key issues and messages with ICVA’s network;
- Support in identifying stakeholders and allies for the development of advocacy, campaigning, capacity building and communication strategies;
- Assist in supporting NGO Fora in the region including supporting their advocacy initiatives and work in the region (capacity building, trainings).
- Support with interaction and consultations with members, NGO fora, regional actors, donors;
- Support to maintain interaction and network with ICVA’s members, and reach out to new members;
- Conduct outreach with key groups and individuals to become members/ subscribers or supporters;
- Inform and liaise with members and NGO fora;
- Provide ongoing technical support to members/NGO fora in developing their capacities and on occasions their advocacy efforts;
- Support in enhancing/developing relationships with intergovernmental organisations, regional actors and other stakeholders within MENA region.
- Support in strengthening the capacities of NGOs in the region to engage in the humanitarian system;
- Support the NGO Fora project, responding to NGO queries of information and advice, and funding member travel to speak at important events in line with ICVAs new representation guidelines;
- Participation in the ICVA Annual Conference.
- Support in coordinating, organising, and delivering meetings, workshops, discussions and training sessions as needed to support NGO community in the region;
- Contribute to developing and maintaining relationship with ICVAs members at a number of levels; in the region and at country levels;
- Support the implementation of ICVAs membership enabling strategy and work plans in MENA;
- Liaise with the Regional Rep and policy officers in GVA any support to strengthen capacity building, advocacy and campaigning skills among ICVA members and NGO fora;
- Support in coordinating, organising, and delivering meetings, workshops, discussions and training sessions as needed to support NGO community in the region.
- Participate in planning and preparing the budget and workplans for the region;
- Follow up on logistic guidelines according to SCI financial rules;
- Undertake other activities as requested to support ICVA’s mission and vision;
- Support hosting and/ or promote humanitarian training opportunities for NGOs provided by other stakeholders;
- Dissemination of information and soliciting feedback from national NGOs on advocacy statements through ICVA’s regional mailing list.
- At least 5 years of experience in the Humanitarian field (NGOs, UN, donors or RCRC) with MENA experience;
- University degree in relevant field, such as humanitarian assistance, international relations, political science, or related academic field;
- Knowledge of humanitarian landscape in the middle east, and political, humanitarian and regional actors in the region is a strong added value;
- Jordanian national.
Competencies and skills:
- Understanding of ICVAs mission and NGO contribution to the humanitarian sector;
- Proven ability to work autonomously;
- Proven ability to work in a team;
- Ability to travel in the region;
- Proven ability to work under pressure and be flexible, including ability to cope with deadline, multiple tasks, and competing and changing demands;
- Well-developed communication, presentation and representational skills appropriate for different audiences, including the ability to influence people;
- Fluent in both Arabic and English languages (speaking, reading, writing).
- If you have got the experience of working in a similar capacity and want to make and active and lasting contribution for humanitarian action, send a cover letter and a detailed curriculum vitae in English, including references. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Deputy Regional Representative MENA” in the subject line.
- The deadline for applications is 15 April 2019 COB.
ICVA’s selection process includes rigorous background checks and reflects our organizational integrity and commitment to making humanitarian action more principled and effective.