Location: Based in Amman with frequent travel
Reporting Manager: Managing Director
Direct report: Art Director
Start date: As soon as possible
Remuneration: 4300 – 6200 USD per month, depending on experience, + benefits
MAGENTA is a leading Social and Behavioural Change (SBC) Research and Communications agency that specializes in understanding human decision-making processes in order to design communications solutions for positive change in fragile and development settings. Headquartered in Amman, Jordan and implementing programmes across the Middle East, Africa and Asia, we use the latest in behavioural science principles and a rigorous approach to research, strategy, campaign design and implementation.
Our client base includes UN agencies, INGOs, governments and private sector. We aim to amplify the voices of local actors while bringing international expertise and methodological rigour. To do so, we partner with civil society, creative agencies, media and academics to design innovative, relevant and impactful solutions to some of the most challenging problems of our time. Whether we are aiming to shift parenting practices to improve children’s outcome or to understand how social norms underpin corruption, we always go the extra mile to ensure we can create positive impact for some of the most underserved population in the world. We are looking for exceptional individuals, driven by a keen desire to deliver social impact and who thrive in fast-paced environment.
This position is an exciting opportunity to lead MAGENTA’s creative team. An ideal candidate will have an advertising agency background and be driven by a passion to apply their expertise to tackle some of the world’s toughest social and development challenges. A typical client with would a UN agency, an NGO or government agency. The Creative Director works under the guidance of the Managing Director and is there to service the Programme Team. They will be responsible for the Art Director as well as growing the future Creative team including graphic designers, copy writers etc.
The Creative Director will be responsible for servicing MAGENTA programmes globally. Key roles and responsibilities include:
Driving Creative Excellence
· Developing fresh and innovative campaigns for a range of public sector clients. The Creative Director must work with the range of personalities associated with the project management process and harness teams together to produce a campaign for a client. Then they must sell and defend their ideas to the client.
· Collaborating with Programme Managers to obtain knowledge of the clients’ requirements. This include understanding the data and insights presented to them and keeping track of geopolitical trends to understand what creative concepts will resonate.
· Conducting brainstorming sessions with team, maintaining strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally sound manner.
· Developing MAGENTA’s creative toolkit, SOPs and process
Management and Oversight
· Directing and motivating a cross-functional team (internal or external) of graphic designers, copywriters, social media experts, photographers/videographers, and project managers in the strategic development of messages and deliverables
· Keeping creative deadlines on track.
· Providing technical quality assurance of campaign content. Review and approve art and copy developed by the team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address campaign goals and objectives.
· Design and lead Sprint workshops with clients and partners
· Keeping abreast of technological advances in the research field and constantly innovate and adopt new and creative means of garnering insights and measuring effects and impact
And finally, passionately contribute to the growth and success of Magenta!
Requirements & Competencies
· 5+ years of experience in the advertising, marketing or design sectors. Agency setting a must.
· Management / supervisory experience, including leadership, team-building and delegation
· Degree in graphic design, fine art, visual communication or related field, desirable
· Proven creativity and awareness of current trends in advertising and graphic design
· Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) and confident presentation skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Extensive knowledge of graphic design and relevant software.
· Familiarity with film making, video editing, and copy writing.
· A passion for social impact
· Fluency in English and Arabic (French, Dari, Pashto and Urdu a plus)
· Willingness to travel
· Some long hours including evening and weekends to complete tasks or attend events
· May involve working in regions that are remote and lack basic modern infrastructure
How to apply
Applicants should submit a two-page CV, letter of motivation and portfolio titling the email “ Creative Director – Your Name “ to [email protected] by 15 Mar 2021. The letter of motivation should describe why the applicant wants to join the MAGENTA team, with a specific example of how their experience and skills can enhance MAGENTA’s work.