Country Manager – open for qualified Jordanian nationals
EuroMed Feminist Initiative (EFI) is a policy network that provides expertise in the field of gender equality, democracy building and citizenship, and advocates for political solutions to all conflicts, and peoples´ rights to self-determination. EFI encompasses women’s rights organizations from the two shores of the Mediterranean and seeks to correct the gender power imbalances through ending discrimination and oppression of women and bringing about positive change for the whole society. EFI Headquarters are in Paris, with offices in Amman, Beirut and Erbil. You can visit our website to know more about our work: www.efi-ife.org
In September 1st 2018, EFI started implementing a multi-country project “Strengthening access to protection, participation and services for women refugees, IDPs and host communities”, funded by the EU Regional Trust Fund in Response to the Syrian Crisis – MADAD. The overall objective is to improve the livelihood, agency and legal and social protection for Syrian women refugees, IDPs and host communities in the region in Lebanon, Iraq/Kurdistan Region – Iraq (KR-I) and Jordan.
In Jordan EFI partners are Tamkeen and Business Development Center. The objectives are to improve livelihood of Syrian women refugees and host communities and to contribute to eliminating practical, social, cultural and legal barriers to their employment.
EFI is looking for a qualified Country Manager based in Amman.
The Overall Responsibility as a Country Manager is:
- To manage the implementation of the action, follow up with country consortium members, maintain relations, ensure proper Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), as well as coordinate with EFI HQ in Paris and the other offices.
- To represent EFI in Jordan and take overall responsibility for the planning, management and appropriate development of EFI’s work in the country. She/he liaises with national stakeholders, EU Delegation and EU Madad representatives, UN agencies, other donors, local authorities and counterparts as well as with other EU-Madad funded projects, in order to ensure complementarity.
- To promote EFI’s goals and vision, particularly through MADAD’s objectives.
We seek a person who:
- Ensures that above-mentioned project and other EFI activities in the country are planned, resourced, implemented, monitored and evaluated in a timely manner, to ensure that they are appropriate, cost effective, targeted, sustainable and in line with EFI’s goals and vision.
- As part of Country Advisory Committee, collects, analyzes information regarding the political, security and humanitarian conditions within the country and the region; ensures that there are regular effective communications with Executive Director and consortium members; ensures that quality control mechanisms are in compliance with international women’s rights; provides technical guidance and ensures coordinated delivery as per national action.
- Takes active role to coordinate in-country consortium members´ action and ensures the project progresses as per the established work plan; develops an annual country plan and contributes to EFI’s overall strategy; offers strategic thinking to diversify funding and activities in the scope of EU MADAD.
- Ensures full compliance with EU Madad Fund and donors´ operation standards, control mechanism and reporting system; shares regular feedback with Executive Director on discussion points related to funding management, quality control and feedback on projects; ensures all proposals and reports to HQ and to donors are reviewed prior to submission.
- Develops participatory approach in designing and implementing the project; promotes conducive environment for national and local stakeholders to take ownership of project and supports their engagement and participation, to share values and genuine commitment for women’s rights and gender equality.
- Manages overall Technical Management Team encouraging it to work in collaboration with focal points in HQ and within the region; oversees retention of a highly motivated team, including development, health and safety and performance management; ensures good practice and local legal requirements in relation to HR and develops and implements policies and systems in support of this aim with support from HQ HR Manager; promotes consistency of compliance in policies such as finance, procurement, ethical, HR, anti-corruption.
- Ensures the Project Officer implements activities outlined in MADAD’s objectives through project management tools; provides support and advice for short-coming and minimizes failure risks
- Works closely with Communication and Visibility Officer to ensure that views, statements and visibility are appropriately resourced in line with donor’s requirement; ensures there is an agreement with consortium members prior to publication or release; mitigates the risk by taking into account the context.
- Exercises delegated authority and accountability for all financial matters in the field, reviews and approves the monthly management accounts and other financial reports which are prepared by Finance Officer to ensure they adhere to the EFI’s financial guidelines and EU´s requirements.
- Leads the regular staff meeting and monitors the weekly task report in line with performance management; contributes to data and records collection for the audit process.
- Takes part in EFI’s larger picture in ending discrimination and oppression of women through global work and network.
This position reports directly to EFI’s Executive Director and closely cooperates with the Head of Programs and Head of International Cooperation & Development based in Paris and the Regional MEAL Manager based in Amman.
Supervises the performance of the MADAD team. Collaborates with the country managers in Beirut and Erbil. Holds regular contact with HQ.
- University degree in social sciences or development studies or peace and conflict. Relevant courses related to gender studies, conflict management, advocacy, women’s economic empowerment, project cycle management are assets. Master degree is desirable.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English and Arabic is essential. French language is a plus.
- Excellent Microsoft Office application.
- A minimum of six years of relevant work experience at management level within development field, as well as field of gender equality, VAW, peace building, is required.
- Prior experience of setting up and/or expanding new program project
- Proven experience in project design, implementation and evaluation
- Awareness of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural groups
- Ability to work closely and establish positive relationships with local structure and to engage with various stakeholders
- Proven experience in budget management at senior level
- Ability to liaise with institutional donors
- Knowledge of women’s rights, international law, including human rights, humanitarian law, and regional and international human rights mechanisms.Competencies:
- A high impact relationship supported by strong interpersonal skills
- Leadership excellence in managing the resources and programs
- Flexibility and team approach to programmatic work
- Analytical and problem-solving approach
- Ability to multi-task effectively, including having excellent planning, organizational skills, and the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to communicate in a clear, precise and structured way, presents effectively
- This role is open for qualified Jordanian candidates.
- Duty station is in Amman
- A fixed-term position with contract length of 12 (twelve) months extendable.
Why should you apply?
- Impact: You will strengthen access to protection, participation and services for women refugees and host communities in Jordan.
- Meaningful: You’ll be playing a key role in Country Advisory Committee aiming to improve the livelihood, agency and legal and social protection for Syrian women refugees.
- Career: You will be leading a new exciting project by collaborating with EFI’s key stakeholders.
- A great place to work: You will work in a dynamic environment with colleagues sharing values to respect of human rights of women and men.
Email your brief cover letter and CV to [email protected] by 23 April 2019. Please also indicate ‘
Country Manager Jordan´ as your email subject.