COUNTRY DIRECTOR – JORDAN
Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
Country: JORDAN, based in Amman
Length of contract: 24 months, starting June 3rd, 2019.**
Jordan country office is a dynamic mission with important WaSH and Livelihoods projects being implemented in host communities and refugees camp. A recent program on Mental Health has started last year and a new base is being opened in Madaba Governorate to implement a new type of project on soil erosion, encompassing both WaSH and FSL sectors.
The country strategy combines emergency and development projects to address needs of Syrian refugees and vulnerable Jordanian in a holistic approach.
With a team of 12 international employees and more than 110 national colleagues, Action Against Hunger Jordan office manages a portfolio of projects for more than 5 millions €, in response to the Syria crisis in Northern, Eastern and now center Jordan.
The donors range vary from institutional funds (UNICEF / MADAD) to bilateral agreements (AFD / GIZ / SDC / ICDF). To support the 3 operational bases, the coordination office is based in Amman.
The position objective:
You will ensure the overall leadership of the Jordan Country Office and the development of the country office’s strategy.
You are responsible for implementing a sound and relevant delegation system (with appropriate control mechanisms), which will allow you to be accountable for all the following responsibilities:
- Strategic and operational planning, organizational performance and continued adaptation through 2020 and beyond: lead the preparation, updating, implementation of the Country strategy appropriate for the country and regional context and in line with the ACF vision and mission.
- Programming: oversee mission’s programming to ensure the effective and efficient design, implementation and evaluation of ACF’s portfolio.
- External relations and partnerships: Continue to forge strong external partnerships, donor relations and representation at high-level fora to maintain network, advocacy and funding opportunities.
- Management and Human Resources: Manage a changing team and structure, maintaining cost effectiveness while adapting according to context and program diversification. Oversee the management and development of mission’s human resources and create a shared vision, among all staff, of ACF’s values and program’s aims and their role in achieving these.
- Finance and Logistics: oversee and direct the appropriate mobilization, use and management of financial and logistic resources in the mission in line with ACF policies and donor requirements.
- Security: lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of the security plan in line with ACF standards and procedures.
- Working relationships with HQ: key actor between the field and HQ, the Country Director contributes to maintain good working relationships with HQ by complying with information demands and using HQ’s expertise to optimize the country’s strategy implementation.
- Compliance, Prevention of fraud and abuses of power: lead for ACF’s accountability, reputation and fiscal responsibility in the country.
- You have a strong field experience with humanitarian NGOs in similar role; or around 10 years of experience of International NGOs in progressively more responsible positions up to Country Director
- You have a solid experience in representation, liaison with ACF stakeholders
- You have excellent communication skills clear and structure, interpersonal and good negotiation skills.
- You have significant experience in identifying, analysing humanitarian needs & designing potential responses, and follow up with technical referents proposal writing, concept notes, etc…
- You show high capacity of work, are able to overcome stress and to work under pressure
- You have knowledge about ACF programs (WASH, MHCP, FSL) and organization (an advantage)
- Knowledge of the region and of Jordan specifically would be an advantage
- You have strong leadership and management skills in a complex international setting
- You have an extensive knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian coordination mechanisms and Nexus between Recovery and Development
- You have developed strong analytical and conceptual thinking; are able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
- You are fluent in written and spoken English
Contract:** 24 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Remuneration and benefits :
· Monthly gross salary from 2 280 to € 2 905 € upon experience.
· Per diem and living allowance: 642 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
· + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen.
Transportation and accommodation:
· Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
· Individual accomodation
Medical coverage:** 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:**
· 25 days of paid leaves per year.
· + 20 RnR per year.
· Breaks frequency flexible
· Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
· Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
· Intermission Workshop once a year.
· Opportunity of coaching or mentorship.
· Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
To apply, please visit our website: