Communication and Reporting Manager
Role: Full-time, 40h/week
Contract: 1 year, renewable, with 1 month trial period,
Salary: in line with experience
Preferred start date: as soon as possible
Turquoise Mountain is a non-profit, non-governmental organization specializing in urban regeneration, business development, and education in traditional arts and architecture. We seek to provide jobs, skills, and a renewed sense of national pride to Afghan men and women. Since 2006 Turquoise Mountain has cleared 35,000 cubic meters of rubbish from the streets, restored 112 historic and community buildings, created a primary school and a clinic, and installed water, electricity and sanitation through the historic traditional craft neighbourhood of Murad Khani in the old city of Kabul. It has created the internationally-accredited Institute for Afghan Arts & Architecture, training the next generation of craftsmen and women in woodwork, jewellery and gem cutting, calligraphy and miniature painting, and ceramics. Finally, it has sold over US$ 5,000,000 of Afghan artisan products internationally.
Turquoise Mountain has established a new project in Jordan to support artisans and to promote involvement with heritage. The project works across high-end craft production for international markets, vocational training in traditional skills, and cultural heritage outreach.
We are now embarking on a two-year multi-donor project requiring thorough monitoring and evaluation processes, as well as the development of a communication strategy allowing to reach out to both national and international crowds, in the Arab world and beyond.
This role will lead on developing a coherent communications strategy across platforms, through traditional media and social media, and for distinctive audiences – public donors, private donors, Jordanians, customers. This role will also have ultimate oversight of reports for donors, including monitoring & evaluation data, and for Turquoise Mountain’s Board of Trustees, as well as other internal reports. The role will work closely with the Country Director on the development of donor relations and of proposals for donors.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Developing a communication strategy aligned with the values of the project and in collaboration with the program’s leadership
- Update the Jordan section of the Turquoise Mountain website using the existing Content Management System
- Design and production of a variety of brochures and pamphlets
- Building Turquoise Mountain’s social media presence
- Ensuring consistency in branding of all Turquoise Mountain printed materials:info sheets, brochures, letters, and reports
- Maintain a library of images and ensure appropriate permissions are secured from photographers and project participants;
- Working closely with Turquoise Mountain’s partners – whether donors, retailers, Jordanian businesses, NGOs, or the government – to ensure coherence of messaging about the Jordanian artisan sector
- Creating press releases and managing international media relations
- Liaise with key donors, such as the British Council, to ensure compliance of communications materials
- Oversee the development of video and photographic content
- 50% of activity will focus on MEL for two projects in their early stages. Ensure that all national and international communications are in line with the aims of the projects. Ensure that all MEL, reporting requirements and deliverables are met on time and in a complete fashion. Assist in managing the communications team; organize trainings, visitor and outreach programs and support the intangible heritage documentation team. Also assist in documenting and reporting on all building projects.
- Support senior management in specific tasks
- Seeking out and liaising with potential new donors
- Development of donor proposals
- Advocacy work on behalf of Turquoise Mountain and the Jordanian-Syrian artisan sector
- Coordinate with the rest of the team to ensure the following tasks are completed:
- Collection and interpretation of data relevant to donor reports and for internal reporting purposes
- Drafting of reports according to donor requirements
- Development of monitoring & evaluation frameworks for new donors as per donor regulations and requests, and updating of existing frameworks
- Development of surveys and other methods of data collection as appropriate
- Ensuring appropriateness of tone and register in external materials, including donor reports
- Ensuring high standards of grammar and spelling in all external materials
- Ensuring that project files are managed and updated in both hard-copy and electronic formats
- Responding to ad hoc requests for the production of written and visual materials
Qualifications and experience
- 3+ years field experience in international or development programmes, with a strong background in implementing MEL plans
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite including InDesign and other appropriate design software
- Previous work experience in the Middle East/South Asia.
- Fluent in Arabic and English
- Past experience leading and building the capacity of a team, particularly in the communications and reporting field, in order to meet program needs and deliverables;
- Previous experience of working with large donors such as British Council is an advantage;
- Experience of building personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organisation;
Candidates are requested to submit their covering letter and C.V. to: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than November 24, 2018. In the subject line of the e-mail, please mention – Communication and Reporting Manager + last name.