Capacity Building Officer
Position Title : Capacity Building Officer
Duty Station : Amman, Jordan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Nine Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 19 December 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Senior Emergency Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the country office with policy-related issues, especially on mainstreaming migration in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the development of the United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF), and the processes towards the adoption of the Global Compact on Migration (GCM). The successful candidate will be the focal point from IOM Jordan for the following working groups: the SDGs working group and the Task Force for the UNSDF. Additional involvement in other working groups, including the CADRI working group and others as needed, is also expected. In addition, the incumbent will lead on the development of capacity building activities on Integrated and Humanitarian Border Management (IBM/HBM) and round table discussions under the EU funded project to support in reconstructing Border Crossing Points (Karamah on the Jordanian-Iraqi borders). In addition, the successful candidate will provide overall assistance and support to the various projects under the unit and the relevant areas of work under the office of the Chief of Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Chief of Mission and Senior Emergency Coordinator in the implementation of the UNSDF 2018-2022.
- Continue to provide inputs to the UNSDF working and results groups.
- Provide support to various work related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), both at the policy and implementation level, especially SDG10.7 on well managed migration.
- Liaise with Governmental counterparts, UN agencies, and other relevant stakeholders to promote IOM vision and discuss possible collaborations.
- Contribute to the development of capacity building and round table discussions on IBM/HBM and other migration managing related topics.
- Contribute to the reporting of IOM, including internal mid-term and year reporting, humanitarian compendium and migration initiatives, in coordination with the reporting officer.
- Continue to support IOM contribution to the Global Compact on Migration, building on the already conducted national consultation process and beyond.
- Report regularly to HQ and RO on issues related to UNSDF, SDGs, GCM and other policy related issues.
- Organise and follow up internal meetings, retreats and staff trainings as needed.
- Take up travel on duty as necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Business Administration, Media and Communications, or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Minimum of two to three years of experience working in UN;
• Experience in organizing and facilitating round table discussions and meetings;
• Experience in liaising with government counterparts, UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders;
• Experience in mainstreaming migration issues into UN strategies;
• Experience in delivering sessions on SDGs, GCM and UNSDF;
• Experience in supporting reporting processes.
Fluency in English language is required. Working knowledge in Arabic language can be an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences;
encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 19 December 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 06.12.2018 to 19.12.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/55 – Capacity Building Officer – Amman, Jordan (55749650) Released
Posting: Posting NC55749659 (55749659) Released