The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
The Base Manager (BM) will be in charge of the successful implementation of cash for work and livelihoods projects implemented across Central and South of Jordan, based out of the DRC Madaba office. Working closely with the Head of Programme, the Economic Recovery Unit, the Protection Unit and DRC support services, the BM and his/her team will ensure that cash for work activities, protection activities, and post-employment services (PES) are implemented in coordinated partnership with the donor and local partners and in coordination with relevant technical and local authority stakeholders.
In addition to the responsibility for the overall timely delivery of DRC’s programme portfolio in the above mentioned locations, the BM has also the responsibility for the smooth running of support services in Madaba, including safety, finance, HR, MEAL, and supply chain.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Country Director. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
· Ensure timely and quality implementation of the project outputs as per agreement signed with the donor;
· Manage all aspects of the projects (human resources, finance, logistics, security, reporting, etc.) in the most efficient and effective manner;
· Manage project budget through regular meetings with finance teams and provide financial risk analysis when required;
· Provide requested monthly and quarterly reporting to the grants management unit and take lead in all donor reporting requirements;
· Lead on the recruitment of the Madaba base team members;
· Oversee performance evaluation and identify capacity building needs;
· Support PQM to ensure regular monitoring of project activities and impact;
· Participate in country strategic reviews, linking with the project itself and any potential future programme developments (including fundraising) of similar nature.
· Coordinate with the project partners, ensuring that all partner’s staff receive adequate and timely support;
· Manage and oversee project partners’ implementation;
· Maintain constructive and cordial relationship with the donor and partners throughout the project implementation;
· Manage regular donor field visits;
· Conduct regular DRC field visits;
· Ensure consistent representation and a strong relation with local authorities and other relevant local stakeholders;
· Take active role in monthly coordination meetings with the donor(s), project partners and other relevant partners;
· Ensure close coordination and collaboration with the Economic Recovery and Protection Units to ensure the quality of the project implementation.
Provide day-to-day technical guidance as needed on decisions pertaining to activities in coordination with technical experts and field staff
· Ensure recommendations made by technical experts are incorporated into field plans and are within programme scope/ feasibility;
· Represent DRC before relevant donors, local authorities and coordination bodies in the areas of operations;
· Ensure that project cycle management is carefully applied (needs assessment, planning, kick off meetings, resources allocation, beneficiary selection, monitoring, reporting, closure meeting) in areas of operations;
· Contribute to analysis of the local context, in order to anticipate future needs and plan future programming accordingly;
· Monitor the progress of projects against work plans and provide appropriate support staff members to ensure high quality programmes are delivered;
· Oversee MEAL team and practices, ensuring DRC applies MEAL practices in all projects, in coordination with the Amman-based MEAL team;
· Supervise finance, administrative, HR, and logistics functions and ensure full application of policies in areas of operations in coordination with CD and Amman-based technical leads (Head of Support Services, Logs Coordinator and Safety Officer);
· Monitor staff performance and conduct to ensure compliance with job requirements and DRC policies and values (including Code of Conduct and global standards) in areas of operations;
· Ensure staff safety in areas of operations in coordination with safety specialist;
· Carry out other activities as requested by the CD.**
Required / Desirable
· Master degree in social sciences, humanities, development studies, agriculture or water management.
· At least 5 years’ management experience in the humanitarian and/or development sector;
· Excellent knowledge of the project management cycle and experience managing partnerships
· Previous experience managing cash for work projects
· Previous experience managing livelihoods and/or Protection projects in an urban context
· Willingness to live and be based outside the capital Amman (duty station is Madaba)
· Relevant previous experience working in compliance, accountability, complaints management.
· Experience in developing and facilitating training
· Ability to communicate technical information in an easy to understand, informative and collaborative manner
· Good knowledge of the Core Humanitarian Standards or other accountability measures/standards.
· High integrity and willingness to conduct her/himself transparently and open to scrutiny
· English (fluent)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Designation of Duty Station: Madaba with frequent travels to different governorates in Central and South of Jordan: Amman, Madaba, Karak, Tafileh, Aqaba, Ma’an
Start date: Jan 2021
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 14 December 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.**
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.