The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Amman Sub Office/ South Syria corridor activities include: food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, humanitarian air and logistics services, food coordination and emergency rehabilitation projects. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Head of South Syria Corridor (Amman Cross Border Operation) and the general technical guidance of the Head of Logistics in Syria.
To contribute to daily planning and coordination of WFP logistics operations including monitoring of services provided by contracted external organizations to ensure cost-effective operations and that set objectives are achieved in full.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Supervise all Logistics Operations for the Amman Sub Office/ South Syria Corridor and timely deliveries to the cooperating partner’s premises and sites via Ramtha Crossing border and/or Marka air drop operation;
- Contribute towards the development of Logistics plans and processes ensuring compliance;
- Support or manage logistics projects or operational activities following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries;
- Collect and analyze data through research and from colleagues to recommend on areas of Logistics improvement;
- Supervise the Logistics Associates and offer them on job training as per their requirement;
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff and partners for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design and review of training materials).
- Ensure that WFP shipments, vessel arrivals or containerized shipments are well coordinated with all involved contractors;
- Contribute to supply chain by providing technical support and guidance to other CO unit/ services, divisions, particularly for emergency response.
- Prepare various reports on the daily operations, bottlenecks and propose possible solutions and share with all stakeholders for decision making and planning purpose;
- Actively participate in various meetings, such as logistic cluster meeting, Cross border task force, CBT working group …etc ;
- Conduct Local Trade data collection and analysis, Markets & Traders Capacity Assessment, whole Sale/Retailer performance monitoring, Supply Chain monitoring. Responsible of certification of invoices and reports;
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, including Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), supporting a WFP-wide view of logistics activities that enables informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Coordinate WFP Programme and Logistics Units to ensure relevant staff are updated on pipeline information, e.g. expected consignments and arrival date/time, expiry dates, priorities of deliveries etc.;
- Share port situation reports to guide the Shipping Unit for better coordination with the calling vessels.
- Monitor the works of the Superintendent and Agents at the supplier warehouse to ensure that Superintendent issues are reported by the end of each shift
- Ensure the quality of WFP commodities are procured from the cooperatives and safely stored into WFP warehouse for the monthly distribution to beneficiaries;
- Ensure Partners in South Syria warehouses are regularly inspected by the TPM, and that a report is provided on regular basis.
- Reconciliation for services rendered to various WFP Customers. Request for creation of new customers from HQ and liaise with Logistics Cluster Unit for any updates in service provision to other UN Agencies and NGOs;
- Identify and build productive relationships with logistics colleagues and staff as well as counterparts at Ramtha and Marka to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices, participate in preparation of CO Logistics Capacity Assessment (LCA), to ensure WFP are able to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis.
- Participate in the on-going review of internal processes and procedures and identify ways to increase the day-to-day efficiencies.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced University degree in Transport Economics, Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, and Business Management or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: Three years of post-graduate professional experience in the above mentioned fields.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Arabic.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization||Analyses context of country challenges in order to lead the design and management of supply chain network, to proactively mitigate and/or address dynamic supply chain challenges, to ensure operational optimization.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Ability to proactively identify gaps in information and findings, analyse and evaluate information, develop statistics, and translate into information management products to facilitate decision making and demonstrate performance.|
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution||Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.|
|Warehouse and Inventory Management||Plans, coordinates and manages service providers and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient, and sustainable operating procedures in the face of changing climates and conditions within region of expertise.|
|Technical Assistance and Coordination||Actively establishes and maintains networks, leads coordination and the provision of technical assistance, while demonstrating the ability to represent WFP to a broad spectrum of key stakeholders (e.g. providing services, and working with NDMOs/NDMAs).|
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Experience in commercial or humanitarian transportation sectors.
• Experience monitoring and reporting on transport and freight market conditions and trends.
• Experience in dealing with shipments and clearing imports/exports with customs officials.
• Experience coordinating procurement and transportation processes with other units/ teams.
• Experience in warehouse and commodity management.
• Experience working with corporate systems (databases, software).
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
11 September 2017.