Regional Senior Program Officer
Location: Amman, Jordan with 50% travel across the region.
Reports To: Regional Program Manager (RPM), Middle East
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Regional Senior Program Officer, Middle East (RPO) will provide support to program management for the Middle East region. S/he will be engaged in diverse tasks delegated by the RPM. That support the smooth functioning of RI’s country offices as well as on-time and high quality delivery of RI’s services to its partner communities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The RPO will execute this common set of duties and practices related to portfolio management, contributing excellent writing, analysis and communication skills and exhibiting initiative, flexibility, creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
Program Management Support (75%)
- Under the supervision of the Regional Program Manager, provide in-person and remote guidance and support on implementation of sound project cycle management:
§ Support country teams for the development, implementation and analysis of needs assessment tools and surveys and the preparation of related reports.
§ Document lessons learned and program approaches and promote sharing/learning across the regional portfolio.
o Mobilization: Ensure the timely project mobilization for all new projects in the region, involving country program, regional and GSO relevant departments.
§ Participate in bi-weekly project follow-up coordination meetings with PMs for on-going projects as assigned.
§ Support and ensure that the program teams follow project management tools, such as action plan, budget projections, procurement plans, M&E plan as set out in the mobilization plans.
§ Ensure appropriate Monitoring and Evaluation activities are carried out regularly (including data collection & analysis, monitoring of project progress against established work plans, monitoring of established indicators and utilization of results to inform program design).
§ Coordinate with field teams the monitoring, review and analysis of the monthly budget vs. actual expenditure reports, and make recommendations on the basis of these and ensure that appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
§ In coordination with Regional Program Manager and Regional Program Officer, assist/guide country offices in drafting and finalizing agreements, such as sub-agreements and MOUs, as well as the drafting and approval process of any modifications to agreements.
§ Travel to country offices to provide support, monitoring, capacity building as per program needs, including gap filling of key program positions and/or surge capacity as needed.
o Close out: Ensure the timely project close-out for all closing projects in the region, involving country Program, regional and GSO relevant departments.
o Post Closeout: Ensure the program records are maintained, serve as focal point during historical audits and/or negotiations with donors on outstanding compliance issues.
- Actively support the constant improvement of program quality and management efficiency through contributions to country, regional and global initiatives, such as SOP/tool/template development/refinement.
Program Development, Coordination, and Representation (25%)
- Contribute to program design/development efforts in coordination as requested by RPM.
- Support the development and implementation of Country Program Strategies, Whole of Syria Strategy, Regional Program Strategy, and other strategic efforts.
- Actively coordinate with other members of the Middle East Regional Management Team as well as relevant global units/departments (i.e. Technical Assistance, Grants and Contracts Unit, Finance, HR, Program Development, Operations, Security, etc.) to ensure the best support to the country offices and strategic alignment.
- Participate actively in thematic regional and global working groups and task teams (both internal and external) as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a good foundation of skills in management and development who is ready to provide substantive contributions and advance their leadership capacity for achieving results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
· Bachelors (Masters preferred) in International Development, Middle East Studies, or related field in alignment with the relief and development sectors;
· 5-7 years of relevant work experience in international program management or program development/advisory roles;
· Familiarity with key donor regulations and grants administration (ECHO, OFDA, UN, DFID, etc.)
· Demonstrated ability to coordinate complex activities, meet deadlines, and exercise sound judgment.
· Logical and critical thinking skills, and a comfort working with budgets and spreadsheets;
· Superior oral and written communication skills, including consensus building and triangulation of information from multiple stakeholders.
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team with a high degree of drive and initiative;
· Willingness to accept and absorb direct critique to improve work quality and results;
· Arabic language skills a plus.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
ü Transparency and Accountability
ü Agility and Innovation
ü SustainabilityTo apply click here