Associate Project Officer – CI
Title: Associate Project Officer
Domain: Communication and Information
Position Number: 5JOCI0007PA
Organizational Unit: UNESCO Amman Office
Duty Station: Amman – Jordan
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration of contract: Twelve months with possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance and availability of funding
Annual salary: $68,165 (Approx.)
Deadline (midnight, Amman time): 14 August 2018
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the position
The EU funded Project “Youth Empowerment and Media and Information Literacy (MIL)” advances Media and Information Literacy (MIL) as a holistic response to prevent hate speech through media and Internet. The action builds on over 40-years experience that UNESCO has in MIL worldwide. Moreover, the project will build upon the pilot initiative experienced under the EU funded project “Support to Media in Jordan”. The project will strengthen capacities of public institutions (universities and schools), media and education professionals and civil society organizations to tackle hate speech through MIL in four governorates: Irbid, Zarqa, Ma’an, and Mafraq.
To build inclusive knowledge, societies require the active engagement of all young women and men through information and communication technologies, drawing on relevant quality content, on the basis of human rights and dignity. Media and Information Literacy (MIL) is among the most effective responses to hate speech.
Since the Action aims at decreasing the risk for Jordanian youth to be influenced by and be engaged in hate speech content, the project will convene and mobilize national authorities, schools, local radio stations and civil society organizations with a view to empower youth with MIL skills so that they are better equipped to recognize and respond to hate speech.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of UNESCO office in Amman, and in collaboration with the UNESCO Communication and Information (CI) Programme Officer, and relevant Administrative and Financial staff, the Associate Project Officer duties and responsibilities include, but are not restricted to:
- Be responsible for the effective coordination with the other members of the project team and relevant implementing partners and consultants for the timely preparation and implementation of project activities Ensure coordination and communication with the project partners and other stakeholders, and keep them abreast of the latest updates on MIL/media development in Jordan;
- Ensure coordination between the Project and other media development initiatives in Jordan; including representing UNESCO in related media initiatives and meetings
- Ensure management of all the budget related actions in line with the agreement with the donor and as per UNESCO’s rules and regulation, with the purpose of ensuring the timely and effective implementation;
- Provide oversight and quality assurance with the project team for the preparation of contracts/agreements with implementing organizations and partners;
- Prepare terms of reference for consultants and manage selection and recruitment as per UNESCO’s rules and regulation;
- Timely preparation and submission of the Bi-annual and Final Project Progress Reports and any other documents to UNESCO and EU. Special focus should be placed on activities, results and impact, as well as lessons learned;
- Liaise and act as focal point for the Project with the EU Delegation in Amman and with the Government, with the support of UNESCO’s Head of Office;
- Act as Chair’s support for the project’s Advisory Committee, calling for meetings, liaising with the Advisory Committee members in the preparation of agendas, providing minutes, notifying involved agencies/members, reporting on outcomes and various project components, and following up on decisions;
- Liaise with UNESCO HQ, maintaining communication on Project achievements;
- Actively seek to coordinate with relevant MIL projects and initiatives in UNESCO to identify synergies and ensure collaboration;
- Share regular updates with the project team and the Head of Office on the contemporary MIL trends, including a political and economical analysis in relation to the MIL and related topics.
- Be responsible for the gender mainstreaming approach of the project, and advise on gender responsive approach and its integration in project activities;
- Provide support to the drafting and implementation of the project visibility and communication plan;
- Hand in project deliverables and documents upon project closure and be responsible for all related close out tasks;
- Additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the Project implementation.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Core Competencies
- Results focus
- Planning and organizing
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
· Advanced University degree (Master or equivalent) in the field of Communication and Information, international studies or in another related field.
· Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of project management and coordination in the field of Communication and Information, acquired at regional and/or international level, possibly in countries in transition.
Skills and competencies
- Adequate understanding of freedom of expression and Media and Information Literacy (MIL).
- Excellent knowledge of project planning and management tools;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and coordination skills;
- High proficiency in drafting and reporting;
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and maintain harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the Organization;
- Good knowledge of standard office software (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, proficiency in spoken and written English;
- Experience in projects related to MIL, youth and media capacity development activities.
- Experience in Jordan and other Arab countries.
- Experience in liaising with Donors.
- Experience in coordinating financial and administrative actions related to project implementation and management.
- At least 4 years of relevant professional experience in projects focused on Media and Information literacy, media reform, freedom of expression, press freedom and freedom of information-issues, possibly within international organizations and UN.
- Experience in facilitating inter-institutional cooperation, stakeholder involvement and working with teams.
- Good knowledge of Arabic and/or French is an asset.
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates
How to apply?
To apply, please send your application letter, UNESCO CV (CV Form to be used), in English by email: email@example.com . Please label the subject line “5JOCI0007PA – Associate Project Officer”**
Application files will have to reach UNESCO Amman Office before 14 August 2018 midnight (Amman, Jordan, time).
Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants short‐listed for interview will be contacted.
Benefits and entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, as well as exchange rates. Other benefits include 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. More details can be found on the ICSC Website.
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.