Political and Economic Resilience Project Officer
The British Embassy in Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Political and Economic Resilience Project Officer, Grade – B3 (L) to start as soon as possible.
Main Purpose of the job:
To support the management of Conflict, Stability, and Security Fund (CSSF) projects within the Political and Economic Resilience Programme in Jordan.
Working with colleagues in Amman and London, you will be responsible for supporting the delivery and oversight of a number of projects including inclusive and accountable governance activities, community conflict reduction assistance, municipal works, rule of law and strategic communications support.
This exciting position plays a key part in delivering the UK Government’s CSSF, which comprises of two programmes totalling around £29m per year.
- Supporting the Programme Managers to deliver circa £11m of projects, using both CSSF, FCO and DFID tools and systems to assure sound financial management and value for money; effective and on-time delivery by implementing partners; monitoring and evaluation; risk management; compliance with safeguarding standards and gender and conflict sensitivity.
- Scrutiny of financial information received from implementers, and resolving problems to ensure effective spend.
- Analyse information from the projects and the wider context in order to identify improvements and make decisions, so that projects deliver the greatest possible benefits for Jordan and the UK.
- Work with specialist advisors on the evidence base, M&E, and demonstrating results.
- Organising and attending project-related events, including carrying out field monitoring visits of implementing partner activities.
- Encouraging experience sharing between project partners, and staying abreast of research and developments on Jordanian politics and the economy.
- Provide high-quality written and oral briefing to the Ambassador and senior British officials; effectively communicate the successes of projects and support high-level visits.
- Respond flexibly and actively to evolving priorities and needs providing support (including admin. support) across the Political and Economic Resilience and wider CSSF Programme Team.
You will work closely with DFID Jordan, given its major stake in the effective delivery of the Programme.
- Supporting the delivery of projects up to the value of £11m pa
- No staff line management.
- Making Effective Decisions – Effectiveness in being objective; using sound judgement, evidence and knowledge to provide accurate, expert and professional advice.
- Collaborating and Partnering – People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Delivering Value for Money – Involves the efficient, effective and economic use of taxpayers’ money in the delivery of public services. It means seeking out and implementing solutions, which achieve the best mix of quality and effectiveness for the least outlay.
- Delivering at Pace – Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
Knowledge & Skills:
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills as well as being a strong team player with partnering skills with a diverse range of customers. This is a high-paced role and you will need to be resilient in order to deliver high standards of service in a challenging but rewarding environment. We are looking for someone that can demonstrate:
- Fluent oral and written English and Arabic
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Minimum two years’ experience of successfully delivering projects in an international political/development context, preferably in a bilateral or multilateral aid agency
- Experience of managing budgets and working with financial information
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills are required
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build productive working relations with project implementers and wider stakeholders
- Candidates should be highly organised, detail conscious and able to work in a diverse, high-performing environment
- Proven ability to take responsibility for own work, with a track record as a team player
- Literacy in Microsoft Office packages
- Experience working on stability and/or community development issues
- Experience working on rule of law and/or communication projects
- Experience of DFID/FCO/CSSF systems
- Knowledge of Jordanian politics, economy and society
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy B3 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1,577 per month. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (on pro rata basis) plus 14 public holidays.
The successful candidate will be subject to a 90-days probationary period.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Must hold a work permit in Jordan, prior to joining.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A covering letter/statement of suitability including competence and experience required.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 14 February 2020.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications, we receive only those shortlisted for interview or assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.