Procurement Officer – Service Contract (SC-11/3)
Title: Procurement Officer
Domain: Finance & Administrative Platform
Position Number: AMN-19-1-0002
Organizational Unit: UNESCO Offices for Iraq & Amman
Duty Station: Amman
Type of contract: Service Contract (SC-11/3)
Duration of contract: 12 months (3 months initial contract as probationary period)
Annual salary: JOD 49,335 (Including Social Security)
Deadline (midnight, Amman time): 19 April 2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the position
Under the direct supervision of the Contracting Officer and the overall delegated authority of the Chief of Finance and Administrative Platform of the UNESCO Offices for Iraq & Amman, with overall guidance from the Bureau of Financial Management/Financial Policy & Compliance at Headquarters on matters related to Headquarters Contracts Committee. The incumbent will facilitate, in support of projects delivery, procurement planning, quality assurance of technical specifications/terms of reference, processing of solicitation documents, monitoring of compliance of rules and regulations for contracts related procedures, provision of technical guidance on contracts selection processes and potential contract negotiation.
The work involves close coordination with the requesting units/programme specialists /project Officers and recipient entities as well as relevant colleagues at Headquarters concerning the implementation of UNESCO projects in Iraq & Amman.
The incumbent will carry out the following roles and responsibilities:
1) Provide policy guidance, training and technical assistance for all contract categories, not only for procurement of goods, works or services, but also for Implementation Partnership Agreements (IPAs), financing activities contracts and other forms of contractual agreements, with special focus for high value and high risk contracts (those are subject to review by the Contracts Committee);
2) Advise programme Specialists/ project Officers in planning, developing and managing all procurement and contractual aspects of programme/projects including the identification of requirements, estimation of budgets, appropriate procurement and other contracting methods and in respect of established programme or project’s procurement plans. He/she will therefore participate in designing and maintaining work programmes and schedules for on-going contracts and newly planned ones, from the initial identification of needs through monitoring until the contract finalization;
3) Review procurement and contracts requests prepared by programme Specialists/project Officers in order to ensure completeness, correctness and adequacy and assure fair and transparent competition or comparison process, including extending support in in market research and providing professional advice where required;
4) Review the procurement notices, advertisements and distribution of invitations to bid or requests for proposals and follow-up on the replies; ensure that these are compliant with the provisions and standards; help in securing bid/proposal openings in accordance with applicable rules;
5) When needed, participate in the evaluation team, analyze and evaluate vendors’ offers/ proposals considering various factors affecting cost, technical specifications, implementation schedules, reliability, and after-sales/completion implications;
6) Advise on required respective contractual documents, with particular focus on potentially non-standard contractual arrangements and review submissions for approval by the appropriate authority including Legal Affairs and/or Headquarters Contracts Committee; Undertake a “compliance review” of the submissions prepared by programme Specialists/ project Officers and as certified by Certifying Officers. Where relevant, this compliance review will facilitate the debates and ensuring recommendations of the Headquarters’ Contracts Committee;
7) Maintain effective relations with programme Specialists/ project Officers while involving them in each step of the process in order to enhance capacities for contractual proceedings; undertake training workshops when required using training material developed by the one-stop-shop; update Office colleagues on all policy and procedural changes in the Administrative Manual; study possibilities for process efficiencies both within the Office and interactions with Headquarters;
8) Maintain a tracking system and database to control the procurement and logistics activities in a way to monitor, during contract implementation, adherence to contractual agreements for services, works and goods, performance requirements and respect of delivery schedules, recommend amendments to and extensions of the contract, if necessary and advise affected parties on contractual rights and obligations, and generate necessary periodic and ad-hoc reports as required. Analyze and document lessons learned and recommend improvements for application of future projects;
9) Provide backstopping support in procurement and contracting tasks under projects portfolio relate to UNESCO Offices in Iraq and Amman;
10) Contribute to management of the procurement function and team under overall supervision by the Chief of Platform through:
- Monitoring relevant staff performance and conducting performance assessment according to the given procedures and related deadlines.
- Organizing and efficiently managing the workload of Unit and reporting to his/her supervisor on a regular basis on achievements and challenges with the view to identify suitable solutions.
- Attend the related procurement subgroup and substantially contribute to the achievements of the objectives, with special focus on those related to the “Delivery as One”, reform process (BOS, SOP ETC..) and brief on a regular basis the Chief of Platform and the senior management on the progress achieved within that group.
11) Carry out any additional activities that may be required.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Results focus
- Planning and organizing
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent degree) in public procurement, business administration, finance, law, or other fields closely related to the position and/or management with a specialization in the field of procurement.
- Specialized courses or certificates related to Procurement; similar to CIPS (Desirable).
- 4 to 7 years, of progressively responsible experience in procurement work, of which preferably 2 years acquired at international level.
- Proven hands-on management of procurement and logistics.
- Extensive experience in administrative and operational activities
- Has a highly-diversified procurement experience in complex-environment with sound background on project management methodologies and result-based management.
- Wide experience in procurement in an UN agency or other international organization (Desirable).
Skills and competencies
- Solid functional competencies in planning, establishing contracts including monitoring and performance evaluation;
- Knowledge on procurement, contracts, legal obligations as they relate to project management;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as ability to set priorities, to interpret rules and administrative guidelines, to analyze and evaluate routine and non-routine issues;
- Knowledge ethical and behavioral expectations, service-oriented and team builder: Ability to establish good working relationships with senior management and people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds;
- Experience in working in a multi-skilled and multi-cultural teams;
- Excellent interpersonal communication (written and oral) skills;
- Knowledge-sharing capabilities; exercise of sound judgment and initiative; tact, high standards of integrity, discretion and confidentiality are essential;
- knowledge of commercial supply sources and of common business and industry practices;
- Technology skills to use contracting and financial management software, including MS Office software applications. Micro-computer: elaborates documents, analyses data, controls and updates system
- Drafting skills in English.
- Proficiency in Arabic language with an excellent knowledge of English Language.
- Good knowledge in French language is desirable.
An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete the attached UNESCO CV with a covering letter in English explaining their interest in the position and forward it electronically to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Please indicate the position and vacancy number you are applying for. Incomplete UNESCO CV will not be processed.
Applications can also be received via fax only if internet access is not available to apply online. A completed official UNESCO CV form (available from the UNESCO home page) should be sent to fax number: +962-6-5928456.
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that their application is submitted on or before 19 April 2019 (Midnight, Amman time).
Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Benefits and entitlements
The candidate shall be offered a Service Contract with an annual salary of approximately JOD 49,335 (social security included);
The initial contract will be for a probationary period of 3 months renewable subject to satisfactory service; and contingent on the availability of funding;
Other benefits include 2.5 days per month annual leave.
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.