Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe, a Germany based humanitarian agency, provides funds for emergency aid worldwide since over 60 years. It supports people who have fallen victim of natural disasters, war and displacement and who are not able to cope on their own with the emergency situation they find themselves in.
DKH’s Regional Office West and Central Asia(DKH RO Asia), – located in Amman, Jordan – engages in Emergency Relief, Rehabilitation and Disaster Risk Reduction projects in the region. It is DKH’s approach to implement projects through local partners around the world.
Currently, under the umbrella of the Regional Office, Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Risk Management focused projects are implemented in Afghanistan, Pakistan, and OPT/Gaza, while Emergency Relief programs responding to the Syria crisis are running in Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan and Syria. The Regional Office is also responsible for coordinating response programs in case of acute emergencies in South and Southeast Asia.
DKH is now recruiting a Finance Officer to support partners under DKH’s Syria Program.
JOB DESCRIPTION – RESPONSIBILITIES
Work Location: Amman, Jordan
Starting date: January 2021
Working under the supervision of the Finance Coordinator, and in coordination with the corresponding Syria Program Officer and with the Head of Syria Programs, the Finance Officer is to support the ‘Syria Program’ with the following tasks:**
Project Financial Planning & Setup
· Review project budgets drafted by local partners, and ensure that all project budgets are coherent with the log frame and work plan
· Participate in budget revision, support and advice on any finance related issues of partners when required
· Coordinate and develop timelines with partners for timely Financial reporting submissions, Fund Requests and Audits
· Provide clear introduction and explanations to partners at the beginning of the project, especially during ‘Kick of Workshops’ (KOW) (i.e. provide DKH financial report format, monthly forecasts, fund request, finance related HR, etc.)
Transfer project funds
· Follow up closely on installment dates, fund requests, and on spending deadlines
· Ensure partners timely meet the preconditions for a fund request, ensure adequate reporting
· Check the fund request submitted by the partner and ensure accuracy and correction of cash projection report and project balances
Project Financial Reviews
· Receive and control financial reports (monthly, quarterly, and final reports) sent from partners
· High quality review of partner’s reporting (both narrative and financial). In coordination with the corresponding Program Officer/Head of Program, directly liaise with partners to discuss improvements / recommendations to the reports
· Monthly financial analysis of financial reports sent from partners (financial performance, variances with budget, format, cash in hands, remaining funds…)
· Check accuracy and completeness of the final financial report and ensure full compliance with donor requirements
· Follow on a regular basis that corrective actions have been implemented by partners
· Support gathering and maintaining financial project documentation
· Provide financial guidance to DKH team before field visits
· Facilitate communication between local partners and DKH HQ on Finance issues (reports, deviation, financial risks, fund requests…)
· During implantation of project, before procurement starts, clearly communicate with partner what is expected on procurement by DKH
· Engage with partner in procurement activities as much as possible
· Do extensive review of project procurement documentation submitted by partners, and send feedback to program team and partners
· Develop schedules and supervise the completion of external audits
· Assist partners in the selection of the audit company
· Check and Review partners’ draft audit reports and cross check it with final financial report
· Check and review partners’ Audit management letter, follow up the findings and recommendations listed by the auditor.
· Discuss with partners the deficiencies identified during the assessments in the audit reports.
· Send one final original copy of the project audit report and management letter to HQ, one original copy to the partner, and ensure there is one copy kept in the regional office
· Send one original copy of the partner’s institutional audit report to HQ.
Fraud & Corruption
· If necessary, plan, organize and carry out investigations of allegations of fraud or corruption, including preparation of investigation plans, gathering evidence from all available sources, analyzing control system weaknesses, identifying corrective measures and report drafting.
· Maintain organized, confidential, and thorough investigation files
· Discuss findings and recommendations with senior management, and other staff as required
Capacity Building and Internal Control
· Evaluate finance capacities and effectiveness of the internal control mechanisms (organizational set up, processes, documentation, IT system) – on site or distance assessment
· Conduct Capacity Building measures to partners finance staff
· Develop and conduct orientation trainings on DKH or back donors’ financial requirements and compliance for all partner organizations.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERTISE
The Finance Officer should have the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Jordanian national
- Relevant degree in finance, accounting or related subject
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience in Finance related positions
- International certification in Accounting or related filed
- Previous financial experience in the humanitarian sector is a must. (experience with projects in Syria is an asset)
- Previous financial experience with donors regulations (i.e. ECHO, AA, etc. )
- Experience in Procurement handling
- Knowledge of Jordanian finance rules and its legal environment is an asset
- Excellent language skills in English and in Arabic
- Strong knowledge of financial tools and management
- Excellent computer skills (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook). Advanced MS Excel level is a must
- Ability to handle SAPI
- Attention to details and financial analytical skills
- Commitment to the values of Humanitarian Action, show high interest in working in this sector
- Autonomous, self-motivated, proactive, and able to come up with initiatives or undertake actions with minimal supervision
- Outstanding personal competencies: especially sense of responsibility, concern for quality, result orientation
- Must be able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data
- Energetic, independent yet excellent team player.
- Sense of humor desirable.
- Outstanding personal values: integrity, commitment, respect for diversity, excellent interpersonal skills.
How to apply
DKH is an equal opportunities employer. Interested persons should send their application consisting of the following (all in English language):
· Scanned and signed cover letter outlining specifically the candidate’s motivation and skills relevant to the advertised position (not more than 1.5 pages);
· C.V. (Pdf format)
· Three contacts of professional references(preferably former supervisors)**
Applications should be submitted by 9th January 2021 (might be extended if necessary) to the following address:
Please put in subject line: Application – FINANCE OFFICER -Syria
Kindly note that suitable candidates can be contacted before the closure of the application deadline, and only shortlisted candidates will be informed of the outcome.