Education Abroad Program Officer
Position: Education Abroad Program Officer (Student Affairs)
Reports to: Education Abroad Program Manager
Supervision of: None
Duty station: Amman- Jordan
Duration and type of contract: Annual
The AMIDEAST Education Abroad Program Officer helps ensure the overall quality of the student life experience in the AMIDEAST Education Abroad Program (AEAP) in Jordan.
The Program Officer (PO) works primarily on student affairs issues for the Education Abroad Program which includes overseeing a number of extra-curricular aspects of the program, providing essential logistical arrangements for the program, assisting with student health care needs, ensures a smooth visa process for students, and serving as a key member of the emergency response team. The PO works on organizing and implementing extra-curricular activities, cultural events, program logistics, all transportation, maintaining the program library, updating files and databases, communicating directly with students about logistical issues, and assisting the Education Abroad team. The PO is a key member of the AEAP in Jordan and assists with maintaining student well-being, serving as a cultural resource for adaptation into Jordanian society, and being available for general student inquiries.
The PO should be flexible to work both on an off-site, as required, sometimes during overnight excursions. The PO reports directly to the Education Abroad Program Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· The Program Officer is responsible for student apartment housing. S/he ensures a safe and comfortable living environment for students, including identifying and securing student’s apartment, enforcing housing policies and answering any housing requests concerns or maintenance.
· Program Officer in coordination with Program Manager and HR officer Identifies on a continuous basis, appropriate apartment options for student housing.
· The program officer provides a general and safety apartment Inspection and check.
· The Program Officer, implements AMIDEAST Housing polices and guidelines.
· Participates in student housing orientation, provides students with an apartment walkthrough process.
· Clarifies the expectations of AMIDEAST and the students with respect to the obligations and roles of program and housing policy.
· Prepares a packet containing maps to all host families and makes copies for all staff associated with the program that carry the Emergency phone.
· Follow up with students housing issues and concerns as appropriate.
· Maintain an electronic data with related landlord contacts, guards, maintenance assistance, and apartment status.
· Manages the Language Partner (LP) Program, recruiting and interviewing new LPs, updating the database, assigning students to and LP, and follows up with students and LPs to address any issues and monitory progress.
· Assist with student healthcare support as necessary. Includes making appointments with doctors, accompanying students, following up with medical labs, and purchasing prescription medications.
· In collaboration with the Senior Program Officer, coordinates, schedules, and oversees the logistics for the Cultural Dialogue Program.
· Coordinates, schedules, and ensures the smooth delivery of logistics for cultural events and lectures, orientation, field trips, and excursions. Includes making all arrangements for tickets, guide-arrangements, hotel reservations, and scheduling for off-site trips.
· Accompanies students on day-trip and overnight excursions.
· Explores new ideas for student activities to facilitate more meaningful integration into Jordanian society.
· Manages the Program Library. Includes adding new acquisitions to the database, managing student book borrowing, maintaining an updated library catalogue, and conducting regular inventories of all library materials.
· Arranging transportation for the program. Includes airport pickups, field trip/excursion transportation, staff transportation (as needed), transportation to medical appointments, transportation for Customized Programs, transportation for institutional visitors, etc.
· Helps to explore new internships sites and developing partnerships with other organizations in Amman.
· Takes a lead on designing topics and activities for the student Target Language commitment (TLC). Monitors this program component and provides regular reports and documentations about how to improve the TLC.
· Collects suggestions for weekly cultural activities, resources and events for students. These suggestions are communicated to students via a weekly email sent by the Senior Program Officer or PM. Is responsible for updating the Education Abroad bulletin board with upcoming activities (programmatic and additional suggestions).
· Manages monthly highlights report to AMIDEAST Headquarters, highlighting on-program success stories and student language and cultural activities.
· Is available to students during regular office hours. Meticulously documents issues and concerns in the Student Log.
· Serves as a member of the emergency response team which provides 24/7 assistance to students along with other staff members, and participate in staff emergency phone rotation response.
· Is available to support a variety of program components outside of office hours.
· Assists and coordinates additional aspects of the AEAP Student Life Program with the PM and other Program Officers such as:
o Arranges visas, police registration, and other legal procedures that apply to students,
o Arranges and attend airport meet and greet,
o Assists and deliver on-site orientation program,
o Assists and deliver cross-cultural information and training ,
o Arranges program cultural and social activities, and
o Manages resources such as the library and computer access.
· Assists in maintaining an up to date a comprehensive database and filing system for individual students. This includes, but is not limited to, local contact information, home university contacts, emergency contact information, general information, student information sheets, academic files, etc.
· Assists in requesting and obtaining office supplies.
· Helps with facility maintenance as needed.
· Assists teachers in preparing classrooms, arranging for guest speakers, and field trips.
· Compiles course packets for classes and assists faculty with other clerical duties such as photocopying.
· Manages the logistics of orientation and other special events for the Education Abroad Department.
· Attend and participate in Education Abroad weekly staff meeting, provide staff task sheet and weekly plan to the PM.
· Performs general clerical and administrative duties, as assigned.
· Communicates promptly with PM any issues that arise regarding participants. This includes, but is not limited to, academic difficulty, health problems, disciplinary issues, irregular attendance, or unauthorized absences from program activities and classes.
· Assists AMIDEAST Headquarters staff in the development of marketing materials for the program.
· Participates in training programs organized for AEAP program staff.
· Contributes to providing up to date communications material (pictures, news pieces, videos, etc.) to the AMIDEAST/ Jordan communications specialist.
· Performs other tasks requested by the Country Director, PM, or AMIDEAST HQ team.
– High proficiency in English; written and spoken
– minimum (2) years of experience in similar context
- The Project Officer will be required -on occasion- to work in excess of (8) hours per day and/or (48) hours per week.
- Some tasks may require evening and weekend work and the Program Officer must be available 24/7 in case of emergency.
- Willingness and ability to travel outside of Amman frequently and outside of Jordan occasionally is essential.
- Willingness and ability to take emergency phone calls at night and during early hours of the morning and to take necessary action, such as transporting students to the hospital or dealing with authorities, is essential.
- A high level of communications skills and ability to deal frequently with members of the SA team and other AMIDEAST team
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the incumbent will perform other reasonable business-related duties as assigned by the Country Director, the immediate Sr. Program Officer and other executives when necessary. AMIDEAST reserves the right to change duties and responsibilities as needed.
- This is a full-time job, annual contract-basis. the monthly salary remuneration range (500JOD- 700JOD) plus benefits and bonus.
interested applicants should submit an updated resume and a cover letter to:
[email protected] with the subject title:
Education Abroad Program Officer
no phone calls or emails are accepted for follow up.
only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.