The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of MEAL Officer for DRC’s operations in its Madaba Base. The successful candidate will fulfill MEAL responsibilities including, but not limited to: Collection of needed qualitative and quantitative data to report to donor indicators and programme quality as well as analyzing the data and review monitoring tools.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Base Manager.Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Plan and conduct MEAL activities in all sites under DRC’s Madaba-based projects which includes the following (but not exclusive to) areas of implementations: Amman, Karak, Madaba, Balqa, Maan, Tafileh, Wadi Gharaba and Aqaba.
- Under the supervision the MEAL Technical Unit, design and implement MEAL activity plans for DRC Madaba projects sites.
- Support in the development of data collection tools.
- Support, and when necessary prepare and, lead training of MEAL tools for other project staff and/or temporary enumerators in different project sites.
- Track and monitor projects’ activities to ensure timely implementation of all activity plans.
- Ensure accurate data collection, data entry and upload to DRC KoBo account and documentation of collected qualitative data.
- Conduct basic data analysis of monitoring data, as requested by the MEAL TU and Base Manager.
- Ensure timely reporting on monitoring activities in line with work plans and project timeline.
- Coordinate and regularly share experiences with other MEAL colleagues across Jordan, to facilitate mutual learning.
- Prepare and conduct regular learning events and share monitoring reports and analysis with relevant staff to ensure project learning and adaptation.
- Participate in MEAL Unit team meetings, workshops, trainings and other DRC events as required by the MEAL Specialist.
- Maintain good and productive relationship with project and MEAL Technical Unit (TU).
- Act as the key coordination focal point between MEAL TU and the Madaba programme team.
- Assist in developing lessons learnt and share regular verbal and written feedback on field observations and monitoring findings to the MEAL TU and relevant program staff.
- Any other responsibility as assigned by line manager.
- Work closely with the livelihood and protection colleagues, supporting project-led assessments and monitoring where necessary and appropriate.
- Identify and refer/report individuals with special needs, protection concerns, and any problems with DRC services to the protection referral staff.
· Refer all operational and Code of Conduct complaints/feedback to the MEAL TU.
· Support and attend cash distributions and other distributions to beneficiaries to ensure the implementation of the accountability distribution checklist and any other procedures assigned.
· Conduct accountability information sessions and orientation sessions on the beneficiary feedback and complaints mechanism for beneficiaries when needed under the supervision of the Accountability Officer.
Carry out additional accountability-related responsibilities and tasks as assigned by the Accountability Officer.
Required / Desirable
· Bachelor Degree in social sciences, information management or other relevant area.
· 3 years of relevant work experience in Monitoring and Evaluation systems in the humanitarian or development sector. Previous experience in Jordan is preferred.
· Knowledge/experience with MEAL specifically, information management and accountability.
· IT and analysis skills, particularly Microsoft Office suite (Excel), and use of Kobo on tablets.
· Excellent interpersonal/communication skills.
· Strong interview techniques.
· Excellent training skills.
· Understanding of how to ensure and address data quality.
· Self-motivated and organized with a demonstrated capacity to manage time.
· Capacity to solve problems with a positive outlook.
· Fluency in Arabic and English required
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Madaba
Start date: 15 June 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 27 May 2019
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.