General Description of the Programme:
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalized migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governorate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
Overview of the role:
The Senior Protection & Safeguarding Officer will be based in Amman, Jordan (with frequent travel to Turkey) and will have an active role in supporting the mainstreaming of protection & safeguarding across GOAL Syria Programme and Operations by raising GOAL staff and other stakeholders (including but not limited to partners, contractors and consultants, suppliers staff) knowledge and awareness in SG related topics and in alignment with GOAL’s SG related policies (Code of Conduct, Child Protection Policy, Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Policy, Whistleblowing Policy, Gender Equality Policy and Strategy beside other internal guidelines).
The Senior Protection & Safeguarding Officer will be responsible about maintaining high standards of training, raising awareness and information dissemination activities including the development, implementation and monitoring the capacity building plans, solid preparation of sessions, developing training materials in a timely manner based on programs needs identified and existing best practices. She\he is expected to proactively planning and leading protection and safeguarding capacity building initiatives and activities to deliver to GOAL’s partners which include local NGOs, suppliers, and any other stakeholders.
The Senior Protection & Safeguarding Officer will ensure that programme, systems, and other departments understand and mainstream all stakeholder’s protection & safeguarding needs including men, women, boys, and girls affected by the Syria conflict. The candidate also must make sure that all Syria Response programme and programme support staff in Syria, Turkey and Jordan abide by the Safeguarding principles and policies. The candidate will additionally maintain and regularly train a network of Safeguarding Focal Points across GOAL\partners deferent offices, provide inductions and mandatory trainings to new staff. S/he will coordinate closely with the HR and other related parties to insure smooth and effective implementation for the overall protection & safeguarding capacity building plan.
Programming and systems support:
- Play a significant role in designing and implementing GOAL protection and safeguarding related initiatives at programme and operational level that recognize and enhance existing safeguarding systems and processes in coordination with the line manager. This include regular review and update for the community engagement and mainstreaming activity plan;
- Contribute to reviewing all aspects of GOAL’s interventions from protection and Safeguarding lens and make necessary recommendations to improve these interventions and make them safer for GOAL staff, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders;
- Follow up on the implementation of the Safeguarding annual action plan in close coordination with the Protection and Safeguarding Manager and collaboration with other departments;
- Manage the overall prevention component activities including, FGDs, information dissemination, awareness raising and capacity building activities in coordination with the line manager and the Deputy Manager at field level;
- Establish a strong relationship with GOAL partners and other key stakeholders through maintaining respectful communications, listening to what they identify as their needs and wants to improve the protection & safeguarding practices during the program’s implementations;
- In close collaboration with the GOAL Syria’s Partnership Coordinator, and under the guidance of the Protection and Safeguarding Manager, implement, advise and support on protection & safeguarding mechanisms among GOAL Syria’s partners, with regard to needs assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of GOAL activities;
- Contribute to the running MOUs & agreements review exercise by adding the needed Protection and safeguarding clauses based on GOAL related policies and procedures, thus; to enhance the accountability framework toward protection and safeguarding related clauses and other contractual obligations;
- Drive and facilitate the Safeguarding focal points component including the Identification of the GOAL\Partners Protection & Safeguarding focal points and ensure that they are well trained and up to date. This include activating a regular monthly follow up meeting;
- Manage the information dissemination FGDs and workshop and ensure the findings from the FGDs and workshop are reflected within the organization mainstreaming activities in coordination with the line manager;
- Contribute to conducting needs assessments on core competencies in child protection and safeguarding related to the framework of GOAL different projects on a quarterly basis;
- Identifying ways in which service provision for children and adults can be improved, this includes identifying gaps in service provision in accordance to the protection and safeguarding mainstreaming principles, and identifying ways in which to strengthen gaps, and build processes to better serve children;
- Support GOAL’s system teams (Human Resources, Compliance, and Internal Audit) in their role to create a safe environment and organizational identity promoting Safeguarding approaches, in close coordination with and guidance from the Protection and Safeguarding Manager;
- Support the Protection and Safeguarding Manager in developing a package of tools, guidance and templates for the different Protection and Safeguarding prevention and response activities;
- Perform other duties related to Safeguarding as assigned by the line manager(s), the Global Safeguarding Adviser, and the country Senior Management;
Planning, preparing, and conducting Training and learning sessions:
- Conduct Protection & safeguarding capacity building assessment for GOAL staff and other stakeholders to address their training needs;
- Develop a comprehensive capacity building plan based on the capacity building assessment outcomes considering the needs and gaps;
- Ensure that all necessary requirements for successful training sessions are prepared in a timely manner in coordination with relevant departments\ stakeholders;
- Implementing the approved the capacity building plan. This include, conducting safeguarding inductions, mandatory one-day Safeguarding trainings to all new staff and the ongoing guidance on incident reporting for the safeguarding FPs;
- Ensure the activation for the training management system for proper documentation of all training and capacity building efforts, keep track of the attendance sheets, and generate reports as required using the TMS dashboard;
- Carefully plan and prepare training material, assume full responsibility for planning and organizing delivery of the protection and safeguarding principles based on GOAL’s different policies;
- Plan and share a schedule for the training sessions internally and externally with GOAL partner on a quarterly based, to ensure all relevant stakeholders\targeted groups are well informed and on board with schedule;
- Monitor the effectiveness of the different trainings and awareness sessions by activating tools like pre and post-tests, satisfaction surveys, in coordination with MEL and the Senior Case Management Officer;
Representation and Coordination:
- Participate and represent GOAL at Protection Cluster and relevant sub-clusters (Child Protection, Gender-Based Violence), and other relevant coordination or information exchange hubs as may be needed;
- Facilitate the Protection & Safeguarding Task-force meetings with direct guidance from the line manager and follow up with the committee members on actions and activities;
- Facilitate the Safeguarding Focal Points regular monthly meetings across GOAL\partners deferent offices. This include listing and prioritizing the topics, leading discussion, distribute tasks, follow up on actions and activities and facilitate the flow of data among the different focal points\groups;
- Liaise with internal departments including but not limited to HR, MEL, Partnership Coordinator, Quality, filed management as well as field staff to insure smooth and effective implementation of the overall capacity building plan;
- Ensure the proper implementation for the prevention activities especially information dissemination and raising awareness component activities in coordination with the Senior Case Management Officer;
- Maintaining updated reporting on trainings and other activities conducted, documentation of the main challenges, success stories, recommendations, and plans. Reports to be submitted to the line manager;
- Represent the protection & safeguarding function in internal and external meeting as requested;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in law, social sciences, social work, sociology, anthropology, political science, or other relevant areas;
- At least four years of work experience with NGOs, INGOs or Humanitarian agencies; including experience in protection relevant Child Protection (CP), Women Protection & Empowerment (WPE), Person with Specific Needs (PWSN), etc;
- 1-2 years of experience in designing and implementing capacity building plans in protection related topics;
- Fluency in English and Arabic language skills (spoken and written);
- Proven ability to maintain databases and manage information, working independently and leveraging cross-department support;
- ICT skills, including strong knowledge of MS Office applications;
- Understanding of / experience in Safeguarding in the international humanitarian aid context;
- Previous experience working in Syria, specifically in the Syrian humanitarian context;
- Previous experience in Safeguarding in the international humanitarian aid context is an advantage;
- Understanding of / experience in Protection and Gender in humanitarian sections, especially in the Syrian context, is a distinct advantage;
- Previous experience in designing, implementing and monitoring capacity building plans;
- Previous experience in capacity building and raising awareness in topics related to Protection and Safeguarding including but not limited to CP, WPE, PSEA, GBV for staff, partners, suppliers, etc;
- Previous experience in designing training materials, flashcards, brochures, busters, etc. in topics related to Protection and SG;
- Previous experience being or in intersect with SG\PSEA focal points in humanitarian sector;
- Previous experience in writing internal and external (donor) reports; preferably in data analysis and needs assessment;
- TOT training in one or more of the protection & safeguarding topics and preferably on CP, PSEA.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behavior protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behavior of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 17 Jan 2021