Protection Officer – PSS
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC will contribute to enhancing the self-protective capacity and well-being of displacement-affected communities through the provision of group and individual PSS services in Azraq Refugee Camp.
DRC is looking for an experienced Protection Officer (PSS) to implement PSS activities in Azraq Camp.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Team Leader-Protection. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
· Recruit and train the protection volunteer network in Azraq Camp.
· Provide block level PSS activities.
· Conducts outreach for potential PSS beneficiaries.
· Provides structured group PSS sessions for adult and child beneficiaries, in line with DRC Jordan’s PSS Manuals and DRC Jordan’s PSS SOPs.
· Provides unstructured PSS activities in line with DRC Jordan’s PSS SOPs, as guided by the Protection Team Leader and PSS Advisor.
· Ensures all PSS activities are recorded accurately and in a timely fashion on DRC Jordan’s IM system.
· Implements all necessary MEAL tools, including pre- and post- tests, with support from the MEAL team in Azraq and the MEAL Technical Unit.
· Alerts the PSS Advisor and Protection Team Leader of any concerns relating to implementation of DRC’s PSS activities.
· Processes PRs for PSS material, and ensure all sessions have the required materials and tools.
· Ensures timely referral of cases in need of further support.
· Participates in internal and external trainings, as requested by the Protection Team Leader.
· Any other activities, as requested by the PSS Advisor or Protection Team Leader.
- BA in social work, psychology, counseling or another relevant social science.
- At least 2-3 years of experience in protection work in international organizations and humanitarian settings, specifically including experience in PSS programming;
· Experience in providing trainings and building capacity of staff would be an advantage.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and prioritize the safety and dignity of beneficiaries at all times;
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Flexibility in working overtime when needed;
· Previous experience working with refugees in Jordan is an advantage
· Fluency in written and spoken Arabic & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Designation of Duty Station: Azraq Camp
Start date: As Soon as Possible
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.**
Closing date for applications: 7 Jan 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.