TOR: Data Quality Officer
Project: USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (Syria ART)
Duration of Position: 11 months; renewable on a yearly basis thereafter
Location: Amman, Jordan
Start Date: July 15 / July 30, 2020
Proximity International, LLC is a women-owned and women-led applied research firm specializing in monitoring, evaluation (M&E), research, and capacity building in fragile contexts. We work closely with the humanitarian and development community in order to fill critical knowledge gaps by providing independent assessments, research and data collection services to improve the targeting, accountability and impact of life-saving programs in conflict settings. Today, Proximity is a rapidly growing organization of talented and motivated researchers, analysts, and technical specialists with an expanding global portfolio.
At this time, Proximity is looking to hire a Data Quality Officer (DQO) for the recently awarded USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (ART) program. Syria ART is a 5-year contract that will provide the USAID/Middle East Bureau with third-party monitoring, research and analysis for its resilience and stabilization assistance in Syria. ART will independently monitor, verify, and analyze the results of the assistance and also provide independent research and analysis services to inform USAID’s strategy, project, and activity design and implementation.
The DQO is a crucial position, and forms part of Proximity’s data quality assurance system. The DQO will work across all ART technical units to ensure the quality of collected data and the efficiency of this process. As part of the Information Management team, the DQO supports the operationalization of the ART data collection platform and dashboard system, which links the program’s knowledge management system, mobile data collection mechanisms, dashboarding, and data recall tools. Specifically, the DQO is responsible for programming data collection tools, training teams in mobile technical data collection tools, and reviewing the quality of all incoming primary data collected by ART field staff or local partners. In line with Proximity’s standardized protocols, the DQO checks for data strength, completeness, consistency, and accuracy before any data proceeds to analysis. When data is found to be weak or questionable, the DQO works with line managers and the project team to rectify shortages or take corrective measures, as needed. During reporting phases, the DQO supports analysts in querying information as necessary.
- Support Information Manager in the design and standing up of ART’s MEL cloud-based platform, including the interlinking/integration of the knowledge management system, mobile data collection tools, spatial and mapping functionality, data querying functionality, etc.
- Support in programming MEL and research tools onto the data system, such as formulating surveys, creating user profiles, etc
- Attend field team training (virtually) to train the field monitors on data collection tools and equipment.
- Evaluate datasets for consistency, completeness, accuracy and reasonableness.
- Conduct spot checks on larger datasets (especially quantitative) to ensure integrity of data
- Clean incoming datasets before they are sent to research/analysis team
- Liaise with operations team and/or field team to address missing or incomplete information
- Identify, report and correct data entry errors
- Record completed data entry forms and requests as needed.
- Provide field teams with feedback and suggestions with the overall objective of enhancing their data collection abilities.
- Re-review data following translation, to ensure that translation is accurate and faithful to raw data
- Maintain information database and suggests ways for improving utility and functionality
- Manage data querying tasks from senior management, analysts and USAID when necessary
- Degree or equivalent training in information technology systems, data or computer science, or related field
- At least 3 years work experience providing IT support or database management systems for larger organizations, preferably in humanitarian or development context
- Demonstrated understanding of cloud-based information systems and data management, with ability to manage multiple user profiles, security and malware concerns, various data integration requirements, and data querying
- Analytical mind, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to note patterns and inconsistencies
- Able to work alone with minimal oversight
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Fluency in both English and Arabic (reading, writing, speaking all a must)
- Jordanian or Syrian Nationality
How to apply
Please send the following documents to [email protected]:
- Email subject: Data Quality Officer_YOUR NAME
- Cover Letter (max 250 words)
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Soonest available start date
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not apply if you do not meet the qualifications outlined above. Individuals wishing to send prospective CVs are welcome to do so via Proximity International’s website.**