Within delegated authority, the Communication Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Implement country specific communication work plans designed to maintain and enhance the visibility and reputation of WFP, as well as support fundraising activities, ensuring alignment with overall communications and WFP strategies.
- Contribute to communications through good research, analysis of assigned area of work and timely preparation and distribution of information products to target audience(s)
- Maintain a contact list of journalists and media outlets and support the flow of news/information about WFP’s work to the media, in order to support regular and appropriate communications
- Support the social media plan by developing social media content, and utilising platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities
- Generate donor specific visibility content including, text, photos, videos and audio for use across a range of integrated online platforms, in order to support global and country fund-raising activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages
- Monitor and analyse traditional and social media to inform the development and/or evaluation of communication activities and strategies
- Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Collate outreach data contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reports, Support communications activities that enable informed decision making and ensures consistency of information presented to the media and other stakeholders.
- Support capacity building of WFP staff on all aspects of communication, provides advice and guidance within area and level of expertise, in order to ensure that all activities meet desired standards of consistency, quality and impact. For example, the design and review of training materials
- Liaise and interact with WFP staff and external counterparts to support aligned activities and a coherent approach to communications within WFP
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond and deploy food and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of a crisis
- Other as required.