Senior Data Analyst and Statistician Officer
UNESCO Amman strives to promote education as a fundamental human right in Jordan through advocacy, policy dialogue and successful implementation of programmes and projects that support quality education for all.
Supporting UNESCO, NORCAP is seeking an experienced data analysis and statistics expert. This is an exciting new position with an important role in the work to improve education systems through knowledge transfer, effective collaboration and a strong capacity development approach. The successful candidate will work closely in a team of NORCAP experts deployed through the same project and is expected to excel in both technical abilities along with excellent communication and people skills. While being part of a larger team, the selected candidate will also have to be able to work independently meet tight deadlines.
As part of the broader UNESCO Amman “System Strengthening Partnership in Jordan” with the Ministry of Education (MoE), the overall objective of the deployment is to build capacity within the MoE, directorates of education, and potentially schools in the field of statistics and data analysis. Expected outputs for the deployment include:
- Relevant MoE staff have strengthened understanding of basic statistics and educational indicators.
- Relevant MoE staff are able to autonomously analyse data based on key lines of inquiry related to gender equality, equity, disability, nationality, geography, type of school, etc., in line with international standards.
- Relevant MoE staff are able to fully utilize available statistical analysis software in their work.
- Enhanced, more consistent processes are in place for the development of routine monitoring and evaluation and research (MER) products including semi- and annual reports, the annual statistical report, SDG 4 reporting, public content on the MoE website, policy briefs, annual work plans etc.
Please note that Jordanian nationals are not eligible to apply for this role.
Duties and responsibilities
Provide high quality technical support, mentoring and coaching to MoE staff in the MoE Department of Educational Planning and Research in coordination with the Director of this Managing Directorate.
- Provide on-the-job trainings and capacity development support on building educational indicators. The trainings should focus on:
- Theoretical understanding of basic statistics and educational indicators.
- Practical training on producing educational statistics from raw data, following internationally accepted standards, guidelines and global practices.
- Practical Training on using statistical software such as SPSS, STATA etc., to custom produce statistics tables and reports based on ad hoc M&E-related requests by policy-makers.
- Practical training on conceiving attractive analytical products accessible to both non-statisticians and statistically-literate audiences and train relevant ministry staff of effective ways to interpret indicators summaries and standard graphs auto-generated by the EMIS.
- Introducing the MoE staff to qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods/approaches.
- Working with QRC programmers to automate the indicator calculations and produce standardized reports with statistical tables of indicators desegregated by various categories
- Strengthening the link between data statistics, analysis and data management and the other core policy functions of educational planning and budgeting, monitoring and evaluation and research (MER).
- Ensuring that a strong data-to-information pipeline is embedded in MoE and that effective and sustainable organizational structure are in place for supporting future data utilization and MER.
- Assist in the consultation, design and development of dashboards to be added to OpenEMIS to display educational data.
- Advanced University degree (Master or equivalent) in a relevant field of study, in particular Education Statistics and Analysis, Measurement & Learning etc.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the field of education statistics and analysis at the national and/or sub-national levels
- Experience working with national authorities or Ministry of Education staff to deliver capacity development trainings in the field of education and analysis is a strong asset
- Strong commitment and proven ability to improve education systems through knowledge transfer, effective collaboration and a strong capacity development approach.
- Strong programming skills in statistical software such as STATA, SPSS, R etc.
- Advanced computer skills including MS Office Suite
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Arabic is required
- Ability to think methodically, to design, plan and manage projects
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong networking abilitites and willingness to reach out to partners and stakeholders to improve cooperation and find new areas of collaboration
- Ability to think creatively, solve problems, to explore, harness and translate innovative concepts into practice.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in multi- and inter-cultural work environments
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with team members and multiple stakeholders at various levels
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in highly stressful situations and contexts
We can offer
- A great opportunity to work in an international setting for a world recognized organization
- Significant life experiences through challenges and self-development
- Access to a unique network of humanitarian and development professionals
- A meaningful job working with the world’s challenges on location
To learn more and apply, please follow this link