Mechanical Site Engineer
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
As a result of the significant influx of Syrian refugees and the increased demand on the already over-extended social services system, the livelihoods and access to quality public services in the host communities have been significantly affected. The impact on the social services is particularly acute among the most vulnerable segments of the Jordanian population, an important portion of which reside in the governorates that host the highest numbers of Syrian refugees. Overcrowded health centres and schools, overstretched water, sanitation, and municipal services, as well as pressures on the environment, labour, and housing markets have left Jordanians feeling increasingly disenfranchised and neglected.
Given the multitude of pressures on the Jordanian healthcare system, there is an ongoing need to further strengthen the MoH through support for consumables, equipment, infrastructure, and human resources, and to promote resilience within the national health system. These measures are required to cope with intensified demand for health services from refugees and the changing population demographics.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS. UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
The functions/duties/key results of the assignment
The Mechanical Site Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager. The Mechanical Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any designs assigned, site supervision, commissioning and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for managing staff under his/her supervision (when applicable) and ensure high quality design documentation and site works are carried out on time and on or under budget. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Coordination and supervision of installation of the mechanical and plumbing services of projects;
- Assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of mechanical machineries and equipment;
- Design and review mechanical installation and services in buildings; Ventilations, fire fighting & safety, Air Conditioning, HVAC and ducting systems, Hot and Cold Water, sanitary, drainage, waste management and treatment mechanical systems and medical gases systems;
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of mechanical/plumbing engineering services (specifications, BOQs, rates, test reports, etc.) ;
- Design and produce mechanical and plumbing systems design calculations, drawings and scope of works;
- Review the design of mechanical and plumbing services of projects;
- Review and approve Submittals of Technical Material and Shop Drawings submitted by the Contractors or Design Consultants for mechanical and plumbing services of projects;
- Manage testing, commission, training and handover of mechanical and plumbing deliverables to clients.
Specifically, the Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Prepare design briefs and the design reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements and specifications as and when necessary,
- Preparation of comprehensive design documentation, specifications and other project documents to meet the required quality and detailing as stipulated by the Project Manager or Infrastructure Advisor,
- Work closely with other Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design,
- Review and ensure the documents prepared meets the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs,
- Carry out design of services for projects according to the Client’s Design requirement and as per international standards and codes of practices,
- Monitor delivery of services design documents. Highlight possible late delivery prior to the event,
- Carry out site inspections and assessments as required and prepare reports when required,
- Proactively manage the design/review projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints,
- Liaise with clients and address requirements,
- Coordinate the works and submissions with all other disciplines; Architectural, Structural and Electrical Design Engineers and Quantity Surveyors (QS),
- Carry out research and identify appropriate technologies/techniques/designs that can be incorporated in the project design,
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate,
- Review and certify Building Services design documentations as a third party independent body when required,
- Co-ordinate the team effort to complete any task as would be required and appropriate if assigned,
- Manage mechanical and plumbing engineering related material archiving
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to mechanical works
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Project Manager.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- A Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of mechanical works in buildings construction.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from a reputable University with an additional 2 years of experience may be acceptable in lieu of Master degree .
- At least 5 years of experience in Mechanical and Plumbing systems design, supervision and construction for medium to large-scale construction projects in Jordan and/or the Middle East region.
- Work Experience in Hospitals Buildings Construction is an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher) is required.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Fluency in Arabic and English languages is required.
- Membership of the Jordanian Engineers Association.
- Project Management Certificates like Prince2 or PMP will be an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA Specialist – 9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.