United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
Background Information – Job Specific
The Programme aims to promote social stability in Jordan through the improved quality of, and access to water supply services for Jordanian residents in the northern governorate, as well as for the Syrian refugees in the host communities in the surrounding areas, through the construction of new water distribution networks, in addition to improving the existing ones.
The Project Engineer will report directly to the UNOPS Project Manager. The project engineer will liaise regularly with senior officials in Jordan, assist with English Arabic translation and a broad range of quality civil and water infrastructure and construction oversight services.
The Project Engineer is responsible for assisting with all construction management tasks required to ensure timely, cost effective, safe and quality delivery of the project. He/she reports to the Project Manager and may be required to assist in the following tasks:
- Review translation of documents Arabic, English.
- Supervise works on site in accordance with contracts, specifications, drawings and etc.
- Problem solving in a timely manner.
- Preparing bid documentation.
- Participating in bid analysis.
- Preparing monthly project reports
- Overseeing technical aspects of contracts and provide guidance to contractors where required.
- Maintenance of the following project documentation
- Payment register
- Variation register
- Site safety inspection register
- Site diary
- Instruction to contractor register
- Drawing register
- Visitor register
- Sample approval register
- Concrete test register
- Progress photos
- Planning and documentation for future phases of the project as directed by the Project Manager. Including activities such as
- Producing Bill of Quantities/Specs/Drawings
- 1st priority Project/Engineering assistant to project manager.
- 2nd priority assists Senior Project Engineer with site monitoring.
- Preparation of meeting agendas and minutes, Will prepare project coordination meeting minutes and contractor meeting minutes in English and Arabic for PM approval.
- Responsible for the issue of meeting minutes and all other documentation to relevant government agencies.
- Written and verbal translations as required.
- Liaise with design and contractor offices as required.
- Produce contractor Instructions for signature by PM and maintain register
- Responsible for formal document issue and registers, including
- Bill of Quantities
- Contractor Instructions
- Engineering Standards
- Providing technical support to project procurement and finance specialists where needed.
- Setting OH & S example on site through exemplary behavior and identifying deficiencies.
- Attending weekly contractor coordination meetings, maintain minutes and issue.
- Assisting SPE with site monitoring through minimum 2 site visits per week (time permitting)
- Carrying out other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Active participation in weekly Project Engineer/Project Manager catch-up meeting
- Active participation in weekly project staff meeting
- Maintaining, accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above
- An essential component to the delivery of the project outcome on time, on budget and to a high quality.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- University degree at Bachelor level or equivalent, or accreditation in Engineering (civil or water) or Construction Management from a reputable University;
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in infrastructure projects, in which 2 years of experience related to water network construction projects is required
- Site engineering experience in highly developed engineering environment is preferred.
- Knowledge of UN policies, procedures and operations would be an asset.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic is required
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: Local ICA Support, Level 7
- Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.