Position: Construction Engineer
This service contract is subject to the conditions of the signature of the main contract between Expertise France and the Delegation of the European Union in Beirut.
Country : Jordan
Deadline for submission: 30/06/2019
Name and project description: Reinforcing Jordan’s Capabilities at the Eastern Border
This project aims at enhancing Jordanian authorities’ ability to quickly react to any humanitarian crisis or security threat at the Eastern borders (Iraqi as well as Syrian) and to improve the sustainability of civil-military operations in the area, by building a multi-purpose hub in Ruwaishid, the first Jordanian city on the way to Amman after the Karamah border crossing point with Iraq.
Given the very limited capacities of the current Border Guard Forces facilities in Ruwaishid, this hub will constitute a multi-agency logistical and administrative center. It will serve as a much needed rear support base both to the Karamah-Trebil border crossing point and to the overall Eastern border control system and operations.
Under the supervision of the Infrastructure Expert and the Field Project Coordinator, the Works Construction Engineer is responsible for the day-to-day management of the works in the field and the relationships with contractors. S/He will oversee the day to day management & supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency & effectiveness of processes & activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructures.
The responsibilities include the following:
• Support the Team in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction services:
o in coordination with the Infrastructure Expert receipt, review and development of comments to contractor’s technical submittals
o in coordination with the Infrastructure Expert, receipt, review and development of comments to contractor’s construction methodology, work plan, alternatives, working drawings and any other subjects related to the contract
• Coordinate site handover and procedures with relevant parties
• Schedule and conduct progress meetings at which Contractors and the Engineer can discuss jointly such matters as procedures, progress, problems and programming, record and distribute notes reflecting decisions on issues raised
• Manage all claims, activities and provide expert advice
• Construction, compliance and quality supervision and management of the works including all related activities and tasks
• Monitor the implementation of engineering work to be at high level
• Monitor & evaluate performance of service providers/contractors.
• Identify & manage risks & initiate corrective action where necessary
• Preparation of the estimated budget for the implementation of any stage of project upon request, the detailed work plan & supervision of time-frame
• Final inspection to include quality assurance and compliance with all technical specifications, engineering drawings, etc.
• Prepare the contractor’s payment reports
• Prepare activity/progress reports related to the infrastructure component
• Prepare the final handover reports
• Any other duties assigned by Expertise France or the EU Delegation.
Degrees & Qualifications
• MSc or BSc degree in civil engineering, construction management, and/or other related fields, or solid and demonstrated practical experience in relevant fields
• Experience in working in complex environments & large infrastructure &/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction, technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision.
• Excellent verbal and written English
• Fluency in Arabic
• At least 7 years of relevant experience (Engineering/Infrastructure)
• Extensive experience in camp and/or logistical platform building
• Highly adaptable
• Strategic thinking
• Ability to empower and build trust
• Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, AutoCAD and other relevant engineering design software.
• Ability to work autonomously and to report
• Ability to write reports
• Diplomatic skills and ability to work in complex and multicultural environments
• Excellent & proven experience in dealing with contractors & local partners
• Core competence in Planning, Cost Estimating, Risk Management, Performance Management, and Quality & Delivery Assurance
Further information :
· Mission area: Ruwaishid (Jordan) or Amman with very regular trips to Ruwaishid
· Duration: about 150man-days and more depending on the needs and availability of funds
· Starting date: 01/09/2019 at the latest
If you do not receive a response one month after the application deadline, please consider that your application has not been shortlisted.
The process of selection of expressions of interest will occur in two phases:
• As a first step, a shortlist will be freely established by Expertise France.
• Selected candidates may then be invited for an interview.
Fees and conditions for the services will be negotiated with the designated candidate.
Interviews will happen on a rolling basis.
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
All applications must include the following:
· Cover Letter
Applications should be sent to Expertise France by email before 30th of June 2019, using the following subject: ENGINEER.
Applications are to be made in French or English.