Civil Site Engineer
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
As a result of the significant influx of Syrian refugees and the increased demand on the already over-extended social services system, the livelihoods and access to quality public services in the host communities have been significantly affected. The impact on the social services is particularly acute among the most vulnerable segments of the Jordanian population, an important portion of which reside in the governorates that host the highest numbers of Syrian refugees. Overcrowded health centres and schools, overstretched water, sanitation, and municipal services, as well as pressures on the environment, labour, and housing markets have left Jordanians feeling increasingly disenfranchised and neglected.
Given the multitude of pressures on the Jordanian healthcare system, there is an ongoing need to further strengthen the MoH through support for consumables, equipment, infrastructure, and human resources, and to promote resilience within the national health system. These measures are required to cope with intensified demand for health services from refugees and the changing population demographics.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
Under direct supervision and overall guidance of the Project Manager, the Civil Site Engineer is required to perform the following specific duties and responsibilities ensuring their effectiveness, transparency and integrity:
- Responsible for day-to-day coordination with the contractors and suppliers according to the needs and requirements on site.
- Inspects and reports on Contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the Contractor meets the high quality standards expected by UNOPS.
- Checks contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified time frame.
- Provides support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary.
- Attends daily the project site(s) in order to monitor progress of works, identifies the existing problems and provides appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Project Manager.
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager.
- Responsible for supervision of technical staff and consultants assigned to the project, and the assignment and monitoring of duties during the progress of works.
- Responsible for the preparation and verification of a database for the available materials shipped to the project, schedules of labor force, and monitoring of quality of such during the progress of works.
- Assesses the work activities of contractor/s, measure completed work and make recommendations to designated UNOPS project managers for progress payments to contractors.
- Maintain records; compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures.
- Co-ordinates between Contractors, Suppliers, and UNOPS.
- Evaluates and assesses works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Checks all laboratory reports, operation and maintenance manuals, and keeps records and report to the Project Manager accordingly.
- Checks, verifies and approves the interim payments submitted by the Contractor/s and submits detailed reports to the Project Manager.
- Assesses and reports on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hands over all related reports to the Project Manager.
- Performs other related duties as required from Project Manager.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- A Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in buildings construction with 5 years of relevant experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from a reputable University with extensive experience in buildings construction with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- At least 5 years of experience in Civil works design, supervision or implementation of buildings construction for medium to large scale construction projects in Jordan and/or the Middle East region.
- Work Experience in Hospitals Buildings Construction is an asset.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher) is required.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic languages is required.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : Local ICA Specialist
- Contract level : LICA 9
- Contract duration : ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.