Electrical Site Engineer
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Job-specific
As a result of the significant influx of Syrian refugees and the increased demand on the already over-extended social services system, the livelihoods and access to quality public services in the host communities have been significantly affected. The impact on the social services is particularly acute among the most vulnerable segments of the Jordanian population, an important portion of which reside in the governorates that host the highest numbers of Syrian refugees. Overcrowded health centers and schools, overstretched water, sanitation, and municipal services, as well as pressures on the environment, labour, and housing markets have left Jordanians feeling increasingly disenfranchised and neglected.
Given the multitude of pressures on the Jordanian healthcare system, there is an ongoing need to further strengthen the MoH through support for consumables, equipment, infrastructure, and human resources, and to promote resilience within the national health system. These measures are required to cope with intensified demand for health services from refugees and the changing population demographics.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
The Electrical Site Engineer will report directly to the Project Manager.
The Electrical Site Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager. She/ he will be required to undertake the following tasks:
a- Technical tasks:
- Review electrical systems designs for Infrastructure projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including Identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions.
- Design and analyze electrical engineering systems for projects designed in-house as requested utilizing research, development, relevant codes and good engineering practices.
- Prepare electrical drawings including plans, sections, elevations, details and other layouts as needed.
- Prepare technical specifications for electrical works when needed.
- Produce Auto CAD drawings according to stipulations. In addition, ensure high quality drawings that are accurate and that meet set deadlines.
- Review the electrical bill of quantities in terms of accuracy and content.
- Site supervision and giving direction to contractors on all related electrical issues.
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificate.
- Review and approve technical electrical submittals (material and shop drawings) and advice on suitable alterations.
- Prepare estimates and prices for new project development works.
- Follow up on contractors’ obligations in the contract on site including inspections, testing, shop drawings review, material review and quantity surveying.
b- Administrative tasks:
- Manage electrical engineering related material archiving.
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to electrical works.
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
c- Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Active participation in weekly site progress meetings.
- Active participation in periodical staff meetings.
- Maintaining, accurate, quality and completion documentation as identified in responsibilities above.
- Common job duties for electrical supervision include making schedules, assigning work and training employees.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of equipment, compliance with electrical codes and adherence to safety regulations.
- Supervise electrical system installation, testing & commissioning, troubleshooting and repair as needed.
d- Final Product
- Deliver delegated tasks by the supervisor on time and as per the required cost and quality parameters.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- A Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of electrical works in buildings construction.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with and additional 2 years of experience may be acceptable in lieu of Master degree.
- At least 5 years of experience in electrical systems design supervision or implementation of electrical works in medium to large scale building construction projects in Jordan and/or the Middle East region.
- Good knowledge in power systems, lighting systems, fire alarm systems, access control systems, CCTV, public address systems, computer networks/systems, telecommunication systems is required.
- At least 2 years of comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher) is required.
- Work Experience in Hospitals Buildings Construction is an asset.
- Good knowledge in PV solar systems and industrial equipment control is desired.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Fluency in Arabic and English languages is required.
- Membership of the Jordanian Engineers Association.
- Project Management Certificates like Prince2 or PMP will be an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA Specialist – 9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Local ICA Specialist
Local ICA Specialist
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.