TOR: Field Coordinator
Project: USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (Syria ART)
Duration of Position: 11 months; renewable on a yearly basis thereafter
Location: Amman, Jordan
Proximity International, LLC is a women-owned and women-led applied research firm specializing in monitoring, evaluation (M&E), research, and capacity building in fragile contexts. We work closely with the humanitarian and development community in order to fill critical knowledge gaps by providing independent assessments, research and data collection services to improve the targeting, accountability and impact of life-saving programs in conflict settings. Today, Proximity is a rapidly growing organization of talented and motivated researchers, analysts, and technical specialists with an expanding global portfolio.
At this time, Proximity is looking to hire a Field Coordinator (FC) for the recently awarded USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (ART) program. Syria ART is a 5-year contract that will provide the USAID/Middle East Bureau with third-party monitoring, research and analysis for its resilience and stabilization assistance in Syria. ART will independently monitor, verify, and analyze the results of the assistance and also provide independent research and analysis services to inform USAID’s strategy, project, and activity design and implementation.
The FC is an important member of the ART team who will support in the organization and coordination of all ART field-based activities. An important function of this role is the management of ART’s field-based monitors and research teams across the country. This includes selection, identification, recruitment and training of field staff; managing access concerns; ensuring efficient internal and external scheduling, etc. The FC reports to the Field Network Manager (FNM) and works closely with with the other ART units and the information management unit.
- Support the FNM in the identification, development, and management of all of ART’s dedicated field personnel, including both full time field staff and surge support roster
- Support FNM in coordinating and determining data collection schedules
- Support the FNM and security team in arranging for and securing field access permissions
- Coordinate day-to-day activities related to ART field work including: communication with partners, organizing necessary pre-field deployment information, vetting of new field staff, assigning field teams, reviewing security considerations, etc.
- Assign field teams for data collection activities
- Maintain daily field deployment logs; catalogue any field based incidents
- Ensure that field tasks are proceeding in line with technical instructions, especially as related to sampling strategies, schedules and in a context-sensitive manner
- Assist in conducting field team trainings, including introductory MEL trainings, activity-specific trainings, mobile technology use trainings, conflict sensitivity trainings, etc.
- Manage all field team members while deployed; coordinate and follow up with the Field Monitors on daily basis / as often as needed
- Support technical teams in seeking data clarifications from field based teams and researchers.
- Carry out regular field-related administrative tasks, such as filling out timesheets, arranging field expense reports, and other tasks related to documentation of field activities
- Ensure proper handling and movement of any project monitoring, assessment, and survey files
- Report field-based issues with efficiency, staff behavior, community relations, etc to line managers and technical leads
- Ensure that field staff are properly handling data and data entry protocol
- Support field team data quality inspections or investigations, as necessary
- Handle any other related tasks to drive excellence in Proximity’s field work and the successful implementation of Syria ART.
- At least 2-3 years experience in a similar role, preferably with a humanitarian or development organization
- Demonstrated experience and capacity to manage teams of field staff, enumerators, researchers, or other groups and human resource management tasks
- Systematic and thorough work ethic
- Strong attention to detail; this task involves many separate and specific tasks, so individuals who are not generally detail oriented will not succeed.
- Computer proficient, especially with Excel
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal oversight
- Highly reliable and able to proactively identify challenges/obstacles and recommend solutions
- Knowledge of the Syrian conflict and the ongoing dynamics across the country
- Experience and comfort working with online collaboration platforms.
- Spoken and written English language proficiency is required
- Jordanian or Syrian national
How to apply
Please send the following documents to [email protected]:
- Email subject: Field Coordinator_YOUR NAME
- Cover Letter (max 250 words)
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Soonest available start date
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please do not apply if you do not meet the qualifications outlined above. Individuals wishing to send prospective CVs are welcome to do so via Proximity International’s website.**