BACKGROUND/IRC SUMMARY: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those affected by the world’s worst humanitarian crises. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
In its ninth year of crisis, Syria is in a state of protracted emergency with 13.6 million people affected (HNO 2020). According to Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) chapter of the draft 2020 Humanitarian Needs Assessment (HNO), an estimated 7.9M are estimated to be food insecure and another 1.9M at risk of food insecurity. The humanitarian impact of the Syria crisis remains deep and far-reaching, with the population exposed to significant protection risks. Hundreds of thousands of civilians have been killed or injured
JOB OVERVIEW: Under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Programs (DDP) and in collaboration with the health team, the Health Coordinator (HC) will be responsible for the vision, strategy, design, implementation and management of the Health Portfolio in Northwest Syria. The Health Coordinator will also be responsible for overseeing the efforts reflecting the health programming needs inside Syria in addition to assisting the IRC’s emergency medical programming in support of conflict-affected Syrian population.
Additionally, the Health Coordinator will provide guidance and leadership to the Northwest Syria health program to ensure activities respond to identified needs and meet quality standards. He/She will oversee all IRC and partner implemented programs and promote technical assistance, capacity strengthening and learning. The Health Coordinator will ensure IRC and partner supported primary, reproductive, community,environmental and mental health services meet International Guidelines and Standards, and that medical and non-medical supplies are procured, well managed and delivered in good time. The Health Coordinator will work with the health team to harmonize and provide integrated health care services, whilst promoting innovative approaches and inclusion.
Program Management, Technical Quality, and Strategy
· Provide strategic direction, leadership and overall management to all health programs within the Syria Country Program in line with the country strategic action plan including functional primary healthcare systems and services that can include: reproductive health, communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases, health information, drug management, infection control, environmental health and nutrition.
· Supervise and provide technical support to the health team to implement evidence-based IRC programs to a high quality standard, including services provided by partner organizations
· Research,Identify, monitor and report health needs and explore the potential of addressing unmet needs by guiding additional needs assessments as required in coordination with the MEAL team.
· Coordinate with Grants Coordinator to ensure grant management and compliance to donor requirements
· In collaboration with the health team, ensure effective development and management of project work plans and budgets, spending plans, procurement plans, storage, recruitment and accurate reporting in accordance with IRC and donor regulations
· Ensure the implementation of M&E systems in collaboration with the MEAL team with specific attention to improving the effectiveness of systems; ensure output and impact data are captured and used to optimize program quality
· Ensure that all internal and external reporting requirements are met, and that reports are of a high quality and submitted on time
· Work in close collaboration with the other sectors ; Economic Recovery and Development , Integrated Protection and Early Childhood development to improve integration and coordination within programs.
Program Quality and Development
· Inform design processes that ensure new or adapted programming for the health sector focuses on maximizing efficiencies, impact and integrated approaches
· Develop proposal narratives and financial budgets that align across multiple grants as a comprehensive health portfolio
· Actively participate in defining the country strategic action plan, particularly related to the Health sector and the integration of the Health sector with other program’s sectors.
· Use and adapt IRC quality tools, including gender equality tools, to improve the impact and outcomes of Health programs.
· Assist in the development of IRC health programming, as needs are identified and funding opportunities arise.
· Assist in the development of detailed yet realistic program log frames, work plans, and monitoring tools and support their implementation in coordination with the Grants unit, health program team, and IRC’s technical health units.
· Ensure that the health activities demonstrate adherence to international and national standards.
· Introduce innovative activities to improve data quality and monitoring through use of ICT
Staff Performance Management, Learning & Development:
· Recruite, supervise, and build the capacity of team members in relevant technical and management competencies including develop and implement remote management capacity building approaches to build the strengths of the team in Syria
· Coach, train, supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting annual performance objectives, providing regular and timely positive and constructive performance feedback, and providing documented semi-annual performance reviews
· Approve and manage attendance and leave requests to ensure adequate departmental coverage; ensure monthly, accurate timesheet submission and carry out probationary reviews
· As required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies
· Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures, and communicates through word and example a high standard of compliance with all applicable policies and regulations
Coordination & Representation
· Attend technical cluster meetings and support managers to attend working group meetings in their respective sub-sectors
· Develop and maintain effective relationships, communications, and partnerships with local health actors operating in IRC’s implementation areas; where possible support strategic partnerships in the field that maximize best use of resources and complement health service delivery to shared catchment areas
· Coordinate with Field Management teams to ensure field concerns and challenges are brought to relevant stakeholders for the development of improved standards and procedures
· Represent the IRC’s Syria health program at donor and other meetings as needed
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position Reports to: Deputy Director Program.
Position directly supervises technically:Pharma Specialist, MHPSS Specialist, IM Senior Officer, Senior Health Manager, Senior Community Health Officer. **
Indirect Reporting: Country Director.**
Other Internal: HQ based IRC Technical Advisors, Deputy Director of Operations, Field Coordinator, Other Program Coordinators, Program Managers, M&E Coordinator
Other External: Relevant other stakeholders, e.g. UN bodies, ,Partners
· Public health or health professional with clinical health background; MD with INGO experience in Emergency settings is a plus.
· Minimum of five years professional experience managing (designing and implementing) Health programs; preferably in an emergency/complex humanitarian context.**
· Demonstrated successful experience in capacity building, project design and project management.
· Experience working with local partners in health programs is preferred
· Experience working with and coordinating with the UN, donors, INGOs and other stakeholders.
· Strong writing and analytical skills.
· Competent in Windows, MS office programs, emails and relevant health database (HMIS, DHIS etc.).
· Fluent in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
· Promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure with professional grace;
· Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate and manage human resources;
· Demonstrated strong interpersonal and intercultural communication with success working both within a team and independently;
· Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to manage competing priorities and deadlines;
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.