Support Service Coordinator
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
HI has offices in more than 55 countries; for further information about the association: www.hi.org.
INFORMATION ON THE MISSION CONTEXT
The Syrian crisis is the greatest humanitarian crisis of the last 20 years. According to the latest UN figures, about 13.5 million people are currently affected by the crisis in Syria, including about 6.5 million IDPs, while over 6 million Syrians have sought refuge in neighbouring countries or in Europe. Seven years after the beginning of the crisis, the number of injured persons in Syria keeps rising, with a severe lack of health and psychosocial support care and psychosocial support. In hard-to-reach areas and/or areas of new displacement, local populations and IDPs are in need of emergency assistance in terms of food, household essential items, and other basic needs. The inclusion of the most vulnerable, including persons with disabilities, in the humanitarian response remains a major concern.
HI is managing a large humanitarian program from three different hubs along four main pillars:
- Support to health partners (hospitals, care houses, psychosocial support centers, local NGOs) for the provision of comprehensive psychosocial support services ( psychosocial support, psychosocial support and/or prosthetics and orthotics) through training, technical supervisions and donations of assistive devices and/or equipment;
- Emergency response to the basic needs of vulnerable people affected by sudden crisis, through one-shot distributions of food baskets, household essential items and hygiene kits, and through the management of an adapted humanitarian coordination mechanism for emergency responses.
- Education to the risks and effects caused by conventional weapons (including mines, explosive remnants of war and small arms light weapons) and urgent marking of hazardous areas;
- Training and technical support to other humanitarian actors on the inclusion of persons with disabilities and other vulnerable persons in the humanitarian response (with a special focus on inclusive health and inclusive livelihoods).
The actual intervention is based on a mix of remote management of national teams, remote partnerships with local structures and organizations, and direct implementation programs.
Under the line management of the Head of Mission, the Support Services Coordinator is part of the coordination team based in Amman and has overall responsibility for the different support services for the whole country program, including the 3 hubs based in different countries of the Middle-East, in coordination with HI’s 3 respective country programs.
Among the main objectives of the position:
- Provide management and leadership to the finance, human resources, logistic and compliance departments;
- Define and implement the appropriate HR setup for support services in the coordination team and in each separate hub;
- Ensure technical support, functional management and regular internal audit for each department in each separate hub;
- Represent support services in the mission Senior Management Team (SMT) and participate to the definition of the mission strategy;
- Plan and supervise the definition, revision, dissemination and appropriation of relevant tools, guidelines and policies for support services;
- Ensure the mission’s compliance with requirements and procedures of HI and its donors;
- Ensure the mission’s compliance with the legal framework of the intervention country and the 3 host countries in the region;
- Represent the mission towards the 3 other country programs in the region (host countries), coordinate and define with them specific SOPs for shared support services in each country;
- Ensure appropriate capacity building of national staff in the support services teams and lead the gradual process of nationalization of Manager positions.
Note on travel: this is a highly mobile position. The employee should expect to spend at least 30% of their working time outside of Jordan, with trips to Beirut (Lebanon), Erbil (northern Iraq)and Turkey.
- Bachelor degree in a relevant subject
- Master’s degree in a relevant subject would be an asset
- At least 7 years of Professional experience in the humanitarian development sector
- At least 3 years of experience in senio management positions in large humanitarian missions
- At least 3 years of experience in management of support services (logistics, HR, finance and/or compliance)
- Proven training and local capacity building experience
- Experience in working in complex, fast changing and volatile contexts
- Proven technical expertise in one or more support services sector (logistics, HR, finance and/or compliance)
- Previous experience as Area Manager / Field Coordinator in large field bases or as Country Director / Head of Mission
- Previous experience with HI at Headquarters and/or field level is a stong asset
- Previous experience in the Syria humanitarian response
- Previous experience in management of support services in remote control settins and/or in partnership modalities
- Fluency in written and oral English
- High skills in Professional use of Excel, Word and database software
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French are strong assets
- Exfcellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Autonomous, reactive and able to deal with priorities
- Extremely rigorous and precise, attention to détails
- Diplomat, able to work collaboratively in a team
- Practival and problem solve
- Ability to deal with complexity at different level
- • Starting date: January 2019
• Length of the contract: 12 months
• Salary from 2757 € (gross) / month regarding the experience of the candidate
• Per-diem: 624€/month net
• Insurances: medical health coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
• Paid holiday: 25 days per year
• R&R: 1 day per month
• Family or couple situation possible
• Accommodation: collective or individual housing fully covered by HI