Quality and Accountability Coordinator
General job description:
The Quality and Accountability (Q&A) Coordinator reports directly to the Country Representative of Terre des hommes Jordan and Palestine, and is a member of the Strategic Management Team (SMT). Hence responsible to ensuring quality and accountability across of Tdh processes, approaches, systems, tools and plans.
S/he works closely on a daily basis with all departments, especially with the Programme Department, through Program Coordinator, Programme Mangers, Area Manager/Coordinator, Technical advisors and Project Managers.
S/he manages the Q&A department. This department provides methodological and technical guidance and support to operations teams at different stages of the project management cycle to ensure quality and to focus on accountability to beneficiaries and donors.
S/he directly supports teams by performing situation analyses, designing intervention strategies, capitalizing on lessons learned and creating the necessary conditions to inform, involve and communicate with populations and actors affected by projects and programmes (accountability).
S/he ensures that ethical principles such as gender equality, fairness and “do no harm” are respected in projects and programmes, and in the overall organizations’ decision making processes.
S/he supports an institutional culture that encourages discussion, critical thinking, collective learning and teamwork.
Terre des hommes Foundation (www.tdh.ch/en) with its HQ based in Switzerland and its field operations in 39 countries, is among the world’s leading child protection NGOs, with a proven track of creating child protection systems, advancing policy change, and providing both humanitarian aid and direct services to children and youth in need. While Tdh’s primary programming pillars are migration, juvenile justice and health under the umbrella of child protection, transversal theme such as child labour, child marriage, SGBV, and violence against children are at the heart of all TDH programming.
Since its Jordan programme opened in 2007 to respond to the Iraqi refugee crisis, the delegation has been active in addressing needs in both the migration and juvenile justice programming pillars by carrying out interventions such as psycho-social support, case management, life skills, education support, protection, and humanitarian aid. Tdh supports both refugees and local communities in the governorates of Amman, Irbid, Mafraq, Jerash, and Zarqa including the Emirati Jordanian camp. Tdh is currently receiving funding from ECHO, AFD, UNOCHA, BMZ, The French embassy, in addition to unrestricted funding from HQ.
· Leads the development and implementation of the delegation’s Q&A strategy, its operational framework & the Theory of Change (ToC) M&E framework, in keeping with Tdh’s policy and orientations (in coordination with the Country Representative and the Programme Coordinator).
· Takes responsibility for the quality of the methodological tools provided by the Q&A department to project/programme teams. Checks that conditions are suitable for their adoption by teams and monitors the progress of Q&A projects.
· As a member of the SMT contributes together with the other coordinators in periodically reviewing, analysing and implementing the strategic plan of the delegation and in the formulation of the annual strategic priorities and action plans;
· Helps collect and share lessons learned; supports a culture of openness and discussion where critical thinking is encouraged in order to learn from mistakes and continually improve actions through periodic strategic review processes.
· Setting up systems that allows the delegation to constantly hear beneficiaries, partners and staff feedback on the quality of service delivery and its effectiveness and channelling this information into management decision making processes.
· Ensures projects, programmes and Q&A initiatives respect ethical principles such as gender equality, fairness, data protection, community & partner engagement, and “do no harm”. In particular, protects confidential data, applies the principles of informed consent, and protects children any harm in his/her area of expertise.
Staff Management and Capacity building
· Provide line management & leadership to the Q&A team, ensuring they are all supported and guided to conduct their work effectively;
· Leads hiring and orientation of new staff under his/her line management, in coordination with the HR, including finalizing the JDs, recruiting, participating in interviews;
· Evaluates the staff under her/his direct responsibility on a regular basis and pass on the evaluations and recommendations to the Country Representative of delegation;
· Contributes in the development of the staff care and capacity building plan of the Q&A team and ensures its implementation to develop and strengthen the managerial and technical skills.
· Ensures the coaching of any collaborator under her/his responsibility, from the recruiting to the final collaboration reports. Uses the good practices so that her/his management respects the values of Tdh;
· Encourages effective team work, especially on issues related to cross-sectoral collaboration;
· Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout Terre des hommes Jordan. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of Tdh’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Support to project and programme teams – situation analyses, strategy, capitalization on lessons learned and accountability
· Provides direct methodological and technical support to teams and partner organisations while taking part in the following tasks:
· Writing terms of reference for assignments; helping to select consultants and monitoring their work; analysing, accounting for and sharing the results.
· Actively participating and facilitating to design intervention strategies for the delegation, programmes, projects or advocacy initiatives.
· Actively participating in new project proposals design and writing.
· Actively participating and facilitating to design and implement an accountability framework adapted to projects that enable Tdh to inform, consult, engage, and receive feedback from affected populations.
· Complements tasks requiring specific technical expertise and/or work volume for programme teams and partner organisations such as in situation analyses, specific studies and investigations (excluding M&E studies completed internally), organisation and management of strategic working groups (planning, multi-actor consultation, etc.).
Monitoring and evaluation
· Assumes responsibility for the full implementation of the M&E framework and tools across all programme and projects covered by the delegation;
· Supports the programs team with tools, and capacity building to efficiently track implementation, monitor activity quality, effectiveness, and timely and accurate reporting, proper documentation, sustainable partnering and smooth transitioning.
· Supervises staff in charge of M&E and ensures the quality of their contributions to project and programme teams.
· Checks the quality of monitoring plans, the relevance of allocated resources and the feasibility of plans and organisational measures adopted for their implementation; coordinates the different actors involved; and ensures the monitoring and information management systems are consistent across the entire delegation.
· Supervises and/or helps project and programme teams develop terms of reference for monitoring & evaluations studies and investigations, select consultants (if necessary), monitor progress, analyse results and ensure results are considered by operations teams.
Learning and Reflection
· Takes responsibility for building the Q&A & Programmatic skills of Tdh’s programme teams, project teams and partner organisations by ensuring that the support provided to teams furthers their training (through mentoring) and by organising training sessions as needed.
· Contributes to the designing and implementation of the overall delegation capacity building strategy and supports in the rollout of its action plan.
· Actively contributes to instil a culture of learning and reflection in the Delegation, through facilitating periodical project level reflection meetings, writing digestible reflection and lessons learning reports, creating platforms for technical learning and knowledge sharing, setting up systems for institutionalizing knowledge management, etc.
· Ensures the programmatic data collection is transitioned to digitalized systems, with the adaptation of MDC and or more modern technology. (only use paper where MDC is impossible to be applied)
· Ensures that all programmatic data is processed, centralized and managed in accordance to the data protection policy, yet using the most cost-effective technologies.
· Enables the Jordan delegation to generate the most up-to-date and accurate programmatic information for internal management decisions making and external reporting purposes.
Partnering & liaising
· Takes leadership in the development and implementation of the partnering approach, consisting of policies, tools and capacity development framework for programmatic engaging with local partners.
· Proactively liaisons with the relevant government departments to ensure Tdh’s compliance with regulations, procedures, law and systems. Especially the coordination with the MOPIC, MoSD and other line ministries on project related requirements.
Internal and external networking
· Takes part in discussions on Q&A with external actors, other delegations & HQ.
· Helps roll out Tdh’s HQ Q&A strategy by in coordination with the Q&A Unit at head office.
SAFEGURADING POLICIES – SAFETY – SECURITY:
· Knows and implements institutional policies on security, child protection, PSEA and Code of Conduct and fraud prevention;
· Commits to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy (CSP) in her/his area, including participation in annual audit, and reviews and updates of action plan;
· Commits to inform the Country Representative and/or the National Safeguarding Focal Point and/or the Head of MENA Region and to deal with any case of any allegations or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the CSP;
· Respects Terre des hommes security procedures in Jordan.
S/he will have direct access to information, such as the general strategy of Tdh in Jordan, including programming objectives in the field, financial details, and security guidelines. Hence, a professional sense of security, confidentiality, and proper representation is paramount.
The incumbent will conduct her/his duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy. Terre des hommes expects that its contractors’ professional conduct reflects proper behaviour in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and defends in all circumstances the interests of the movement.
Competencies: This position requires personal, social and leadership competencies (PSLC) and technical and methodological competencies (TMC), and managerial and strategic competencies (MSC)
- Leadership skills and experience in managing multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to create a cooperative and collaborative environment
- Command of support and advice roles and competencies
- Excellent conceptual and strategic analysis skills
- Discipline, precision, transparency and intellectual honesty
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; active listening skills
- Flexibility, availability and adaptability
- Results-oriented focus and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to learn from negative experiences, capitalizing on errors and seizing opportunities
Other professional skills required:
- Expertise in project cycle management, detailed knowledge of concepts, processes and tools, and experience in leading participative processes;
- Expertise in designing, planning and implementing Q&A initiatives (situation analyses, developing a theory of change, planning, monitoring, evaluation, capitalizing on lessons learned, participation, communication, information management);
- Ability to understand and question issues, hypotheses and research initiatives in coordination with a team of external researchers;
- Awareness and knowledge of ethical issues related to project management: gender equality, fairness and do no harm;
- Knowledge of and professional experience in the children’s rights field (Child protection ), and SGBV, MHPSS in the humanitarian aid/development context;
- A perfect fluency in English (reading, speaking and especially writing) is a must.
For interested applicants, please send your updated resumes with a cover letter to the below email address – maximum by Thursday / December 5, 2019– with the following email title >> NAME OF APPLICANT / Position.
Note: Any email with a title that does not have the required information will be disregarded.