Regional Representative – Middle East Regional Office – JORDAN, Amman
Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide. www.actioncontrelafaim.org
Country: JORDAN, based in Amman – Middle East Regional Office (MERO)
Length of contract: 12 months, starting June 3rd, 2019
Despite extensive diplomatic efforts exerted throughout 2018, the MENA region remains afflicted by multiple protracted crises: Syrian crisis, Iraq, Yemen, Palestine, Libya. The number of newly displaced people generally decreased; however, in December 2018 the region still struggles to handle the needs of more than 11 million internally displaced people – 6.2 million in Syria alone – and around 6 million, mainly Syrian, refugees.
In Syria, in the beginning of the ninth year of the crisis, 11.7 million people are still in need of assistance. While the situation remains volatile despite progress on the ground, the stabilization/reconstruction phase could last several years. One of the main challenges for 2019 and beyond will be the promotion of international standards relating to voluntary return in safety and dignity, while also seeking to mitigate specific protection threats and poor access to the labor market faced by refugees both inside Syria and in neighboring countries.
Yemen is today considered as the most acute humanitarian crisis in the world. 22.2 million people were in need at the end of 2018. If the state of famine hasn’t been declared countrywide, experts agree on the fact that we are on the edge of a major famine (level 4 out of 5). Access for humanitarian organizations remains a day-to-day challenge. Progress on the political front is incredibly slow.
In Iraq, the situation has improved during 2018 and IDPs have started to return. However, the situation is still fragile and despite a willingness to work on reconciliation, inter-community tensions put humanitarian interventions at risk.
The situation in Libya is fluid, rapidly evolving and unpredictable. The caseload of IDPs and people in need is not important at this stage, but the strategic situation of the country on migration flows requires a close follow-up of the situation.
The position objective:
You will contribute to Action Against Hunger scaling up strategy by assisting country offices in their development:
- You ensure Action Against Hunger positioning in the region as a key actor taking decisive action against causes and effect of hunger
- You foster our regional scaling-up through contextual analysis and promotion of an innovative programming
- You work closely with the IDRU to develop our fundraising capacities
Your responsibilities :
- Strategically drive the Regional Office ensuring that the regional approach remains relevant to the changing context, that projects are implemented according to best practices and that new projects of high added-value are developed & funded
- Represent Action Against Hunger and strengthen our local network at regional level, promote positive relationships with key stakeholders, relay corporate messages and ensure Action Against Hunger programs & lessons learned are highlighted, disseminated and promoted
- Ensure an adequate support to missions on MEAL, Communication and HR capacity building
- Facilitate the implementation of Action Against Hunger regional advocacy (Syrian crisis and Yemen crisis)
- Ensure the administrative and financial follow-up of the Regional Office
The applicant :
- You hold Bachelors or master degree in political science, business administration or similar background / or equivalent experience as country Director or Desk Officer
- You have carried out specific studies in humanitarian aid and/or development
- You have good knowledge of project cycle management
- You are experienced in managing multidisciplinary teams
- You have good knowledge of Action Against Hunger and of its fields of expertise
- You have five or more years experience living in a developing country with strong management experience.
- Three or more years management experience as Head of Mission strongly preferred
- You have strong experience in negotiation with donors, networks establishment
- English mandatory, French, Spanish and Arab an asset
Global mobility required.
Contract:12 months fixed term contract under French legislation
Remuneration and benefits :
- Salary : upon experience.
- Per diem and living allowance: 642 € (cf eurocost) net, field paid.
Transportation and accommodation:
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- Individual accomodation (family position)
Medical coverage: 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- 20 RnR per year.
- Breaks frequency flexible
- Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- Intermission Workshop twice a year.
- Opportunity of coaching or mentorship.
- Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
To apply, please visit our website: