Green Center Supervisor ( Pending Donor Approval)
World Vision International – Jordan:
Join and be part of a global relief, development and advocacy NGO, dedicated to work with children, families & communities to overcome poverty and injustice. World Vision International was established in 1950 & operates in nearly 100 countries worldwide.
World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we do not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Position: Green Center Supervisor (Pending Donor Approval)
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position will lead the Green Center operations for WVJ SWM programme implemented in Azraq Camp under the direct management of the Project Coordinator.
The responsible Solid Waste Management (SWM)” intervention in Azraq camp is designed to significantly reduce environmental impact of camp based SWM through the development of alternative onsite and offsite uses for produced waste. It is proposed that project will reduce the environmental costs of transporting solid waste and stress placed on local landfills. Sorting and reuse of recyclable materials in the Green Center in Azraq camp will help to reduce the necessity of resource extraction.
The purpose of the position is to ensure the highest standards of environmental safety and operational excellence by effective management of the Green Center’s day-to-day operations – collection, sorting and disposal of the waste in the camp.
To ensure smooth daily operation of the Green Center- collection, loading and sorting of SW in the camp and in the Green Center;
To ensure SWM standards and regulations are respected/applied for safe and efficient operations;
To ensure the cleanliness and maintenance of the Green Center/WVJ assets, equipment and trucks through regular inspections and preventive maintenance;
To manage refugees/incentive based volunteers- IBVs and Green Center staff
To provide timely and accurate updates and reports on the Green Center activities
To monitor and maintain logs/records of recycling materials received in or shipped from the Green Center to processing companies;
To maintain trucks’ movement logs/records and provide daily and weekly summary reports
The position requires ability and willingness to work in Azraq Refugee Camp in the solid waste sorting facility 6 days a week;
May be required to work weekends and holidays on a shift;
To ensure high response and positive collaboration in urgent and emergency cases in the camp
To ensure all required camp access permits for the operation are obtained on time
· To ensure SWM standards and regulations are respected/applied for safe and efficient operations;
· To ensure the cleanliness and maintenance of the Green Center/WVJ assets, equipment and trucks through regular inspections and preventive maintenance;
· To ensure daily camp Trips to monitor and follow up trucks trips and camp situation, and report directly
· To minimize operational costs – fuel and landfill fees;
· To optimize the trucks movement in and out of the camp taking care of safety SoPs of the camp;
· To propose ideas/innovations of operational improvement.
· To make sure to start collection operations from 7:30 am daily to 3:30pm (except Fridays) in the camp
· To check and report daily on the condition of the trucks and the road conditions in the camp that might affect the operations;
· Report any accidents or issues affecting the security and operations immediately to the Supervisor;
· To ensure that all relevant policies and procedures on road and traffic safety and driving standards in and outside of the camp are adhered to at all times as per the camp SoPs and Jordan traffic regulations/laws;
· To make sure the collection of the SW from the designated areas are happening as per the assigned schedule and required quality, the drums are handled by the collectors in a responsive way.
· To monitor and maintain logs/records of recycling materials received in or shipped from the Green Center.
· To monitor and follow up recyclable market updates on monthly basis
Manage Green Center operational staff
· To lead selection, coaching, training and maintain time sheets of the Green Center staff for better performance;
· To provide input into termination, compensation, and promotion decisions in coordination with the project coordinator and manager;
· To assist in creating a positive team-oriented environment for Syrian refugees and Jordanian staff in the Green Center
· To assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business.
· To establish health working environment in the Green Center with WVJ staff and IVBs in the Green Center; and a constructive relationship with other actors in the camp.
· To apply the recording and reporting mechanisms of the Green Center operations and to share electronic information to WVJ daily;
· To prepare and share daily, weekly and monthly reports with WVJ;
· To generate and share other reports with WVJ as per need;
· To update the project management on the progress of Green Center operations and other relevant context developments for a decision making/project activities timely adjustment;
· To prepare and share weekly reports for truck conditions.
Any task assigned by the supervisor
· Operations are ongoing in the fields on weekends and holidays, thus it requires the job holder presence on weekends and holidays on a shift
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Education level should be bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in administration and management.
· Excellent command of oral and written English.
· At least 2 years of previous experience in large scale operations management
· Managerial experience
· Willingness to learn fast and work in the refugee camp
· Self-discipline and ability to work under pressure
· Dedication to the humanitarian cause
· Reliability and punctuality
· Flexibility to work outside normal hours, on holidays and weekends
· Field experiences with other INGO/NGOs
· Experience in SWM field