Project Assistant- Case Management, Cairo, Egypt
TITLE: Project Assistant (Case Management)
LOCATION: Cairo, Egypt
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Child Protection/ Program Operations – Egypt Country Office
POST TYPE: FTA
CONTRACT END DATE : December 31, 2017
Child Safeguarding: Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
ROLE PURPOSE: This position will be responsible for assisting the Child Protection case management system in Save the Children (SCI) and ensure that case management is conducted in accordance with the inter-agency and Save the Children Child Protection case management standards operating procedures. He/she will be responsible for assisting the Child Protection Officer in providing technical support for case managers in addition to act as the focal point for internal and external referrals.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Child Protection Senior Officer
Staff directly reporting to this post: 4 to 6 community volunteers and indirectly 8 case managers
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Assist the Child Protection Senior Officer in providing technical support to SCI case managers;
- Lead the implementation of the community mentorship program through supervising and coordinating the work with 4 to 6 community volunteers assisting children in case management;
- Liaise with representatives of the refugee communities on child protection issues;
- Review and edit all best interest assessments conducted (approximately 600 BIA) for refugee children;
- Conduct interviews when needed with children for the purpose of best interest assessment;
- Monitor and follow up on SCI case management reporting system to ensure that data are up to date;
- Assist the Child Protection Senior Officer in conducting regular case file audit to ensure that they are up to date and check quality and consistency of work;
- Assist case managers in representing vulnerable cases to the BID panel;
- Ensure that SCI case management system is operating according to the inter-agency standards;
- Assist the Child Protection Senior Officer in drafting SCI case management standards operating procedures;
- Conduct field visits to provide support to community mentors in the field and respond to their urgent inquiries;
- Act as a focal point with external service providers and follow up with partners on the provision of services to SCI beneficiaries;
- Actively participate in interagency case conferences and coordinate meetings with UNHCR and other service providers;
- Assist the Child Protection Senior Officer in capacity building for SCI staff and external partners; and
- Carry out any other necessary tasks in support to the case management team.
Reporting and documentation
- Ensure proper data gathering and data accuracy as per monitoring and evaluation plan;
- Compile concise quantitative and qualitative reports on a monthly and quarterly basis from different projects;
- Monitor project budget variances on monthly and quarterly basis
- Ensure that projects follow donor and Save the Children’s budget utilization guidelines
- Engage civil society partners in collaborations and networks to ensure the most vulnerable children’s issues are highlighted;
- Advocate that other service providers and organizations act in best interest of children.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the case managers and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same;
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others;
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their colleagues, members and external partners and supporters;
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength;
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions;
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or in development related fields;
- Minimum of 2-3 years experience in conducting case management in the development/humanitarian field with a focus on child protection and/or SGBV;
- Commitment to Save the Children values and Child Safeguarding;
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills;
- Comfortable with high levels of ambiguity and able to take decisions independently in fluid context;
- Excellent and concise drafting skills;
- Fluency in English and Arabic (spoken and written) is required;
- Experience with refugee/marginalized communities is desired.