General Description of the Program
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation has had a presence in Turkey since 2013 and has been contributing to the migrant response since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
GOAL has been working in Northwest Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate as well as Northern Aleppo, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households
The Syria Safety & Security Officer (SSO) supports the Access team within northwest Syria, reporting directly to the Safety & Security Advisor. The SSO will ensure that the SSA-S are kept informed of all security developments in Syria and Jordan. The SSO is responsible for ensuring that the Jordan safety and security systems and procedures are updated and all GOAL staff in Amman understand and adhere to them. The SSO in conjunction with the SSA, is responsible for providing training and capacity building to the Access team in Syria, as well as deliver appropriate and timely safety and security training to all GOAL staff based in Amman and Syria.
1. Syria Office Security
• Daily Reporting SYRIA: Produce Morning SITREPs outlining and analysing developments that may affect GOAL programming in Syria.
• Support the SSA in the development of another context and incident reporting as requested.
• Assess the situation in GOAL’s Areas of Operation by collecting information from the formal and informal network and/or the team. Report immediately to the SSA any sudden changes in the access in the areas where GOAL operates in Syria.
• Maintain a daily dialogue with the Access manger on day to day S&S problem solving.
2. Training / Capacity Building
• In conjunction with the SSA, responsible for building capacity of the Access team in Syria.
• Develop training plans and materials and deliver timely and quality training to all GOAL staff based in Jordan and Syria.
• Provide guidance and coaching advice to GOAL staff in Syria addressing humanitarian access issues, with the support of SSA.
• Maintain a Staff Training Tracker detailing training taken by all GOAL staff based in Syria.
3. Amman Office Security
• Context Keep abreast of developments in Jordanian cities where GOAL staff may travel.
• Produce Security report including analysing statistical developments in Jordan.
• Ensure that new/visiting GOAL staff receive the Welcome Pack [JORDAN] a week before travel, and the Constant Companion [JORDAN] immediately upon arrival
• Deliver Security and Safety training in the Amman office.
• Deliver Jordan Security Briefing to ALL new/visiting GOAL staff upon arrival in JORDAN.,
• Maintain a Staff Training Tracker detailing training taken by all GOAL staff based in JORDAN.
• Maintain a Staff Travel Tracker for Jordan-based GOAL staff travelling outside the country
• Ensure that Office Visitor Protocols are being followed in all GOAL premises in JORDAN according to the SOP.
• Ensure all GOAL premises in Jordan are equipped with first aid & fire safety equipment, and that all first aid and fire safety kit is maintained and updated when necessary.
• Liaise with the local authorities regarding the work and residence permits for international staff if needed
• Liaise with local Jordanian authorities in case of work-relate security incident involving GOAL staff.
- Jordan citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, humanitarian affairs, or a technical degree or certification in a related field or 5 years of security management experience.
- Experience delivering security training.
- At least one year of experience in a similar position at INGO or in a large or international organization/company.
- Very good command of English, written and spoken.
- Fully conversant with MS Office, Outlook, and SharePoint..
Desired qualification and skills:
- First aid training certificates.
- Training of Trainer’s certificate.
- Commitment and willingness to work outside of normal working hours.
- Experience in Syria context will be an advantage
How to apply
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 2nd October 2020.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.