Senior Project Assistant, SC7/1
Title: Senior Project Assistant
Domain: Culture Unit
Position Number: AMN-19-CLT-0002
Organizational Unit: UNESCO Amman Office
Duty Station: Amman
Type of contract: Service Contract (SC-7/1)
Duration of contract: 8 months (with 3 months initial contract as probationary period) extendable subject to satisfactory performance and in line with the validity of the project and availability of funds
Annual salary: JOD 15,331.8 (Including Social Security)
Deadline (midnight, Amman time): 14 May 2019
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Overview of the functions of the position
The UNESCO Amman Office is implementing the projects entitled “Employment Opportunities for Cultural Heritage Safeguarding in Jordan”.
The project aims to invest in cultural heritage preservation while creating short-term job opportunities for Jordanians and Syrians as a contribution to sustainable socio-economic development and by utilizing culture as a source of resilience. The project objective will be achieved through: a) basic rehabilitation and conservation of two cultural heritage sites (in the Mafraq and Maan Governorates) for heritage safeguarding and tourism purposes; b) short term employment generation for Syrian refugees and Jordanians living in host communities. The project has a considerable component of field implementation, which requires the related field management skills.
Under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Amman Office, and the direct supervision of the Project Officer responsible for the activities of the project “Employment Opportunities for Cultural Heritage Safeguarding in Jordan”, the incumbent will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Assist the project officer in the implementation of the project activities geared towards employment generation of Syrians and Jordanians and more specifically:
- Assist in the financial aspects of the activities by preparing documents for processing payments related to the projects’ activities and office maintenance;
- Follow up with the Administrative and Financial Platform on issues related to the payments and other administrative tasks;
- Prepare travel arrangements for external consultants and UNESCO experts including flight and hotel bookings, transportation, visa, travel authorization and any other requirements as needed;
- Assist in drafting contracts and administrative documents as needed;
- Assist in preparing minutes and administrative documents in good English language, as needed;
- Assist in organizing and coordinating the logistics of workshops, seminars, field visits, missions and meetings related to the project and attend as needed;
- Review administrative documents written in Arabic and provided by third parties;
- Provide support in the visibility activities of the project in close coordination with the supervisor;
- Carry out any other duties as requested by the supervisors and the Head of Office.
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Core Competencies
- Results focus
- Planning and organizing
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework
- University degree in business, accounting, public administration, or other relevant field.
- Five years of relevant professional experience in administrative and program support in the public and private sector.
Skills and competencies
- Drive for results;
- Computer Skills: including internet navigation and various office applications, such as Microsoft Office;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Adhere to rules and regulations;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to work accurately;
- Learning and researching.
- Arabic mother tongue is a must
- Very good knowledge of written and spoken English is required
- An assessment exercise may be used in the evaluation of candidates
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete the attached UNESCO CV with a covering letter in English explaining their interest in the position and forward it electronically to the following e-mail address: [email protected]
Please indicate the position and vacancy number you are applying for. Incomplete UNESCO CV will not be processed.
Applications can also be received via fax only if internet access is not available to apply online. A completed official UNESCO CV form (available from the UNESCO home page) should be sent to fax number: +962-6-5928456.
Interested and suitable candidates should ensure that their application is submitted on or before 14 May 2019 (Midnight, Amman time).
Due to the large number of applications received, only applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Benefits and entitlements
The candidate shall be offered a Service Contract with a gross salary of approximately JOD 15,331.8 per annum (Social Security included).
The initial contract will be for a probationary period of 3 months, extendable for 8 months in total and renewable subject to satisfactory service; and contingent on the availability of funding.
Other benefits include 2.5 days per month annual leave.
Please note that UNESCO is a no-smoking Organization.