مطلوب مدير للعمل في منظمة دولية
POSITION TITLE: Country Director, Jordan
POSITION LOCATION: Amman, Jordan
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs, WUSC Ottawa
CONTRACT TERM: 2 years with the possibility of renewal
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 26 April 2022
EXPECTED START DATE: 15 May 2022 (or earlier)
Are you an experienced leader in managing development cooperation projects? WUSC is currently looking for a Country Director in Jordan to lead the implementation of programming and program development in-country.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Under the supervision of the Director of Programs, the Country Director, Jordan , is responsible for:
Country Program Leadership
- Developing and overseeing implementation of a Jordan program strategy that contributes to WUSC’s mission and vision
- Designing and delivering programming initiatives that align to WUSC’s theory of change and programming principles
- Representing WUSC in Jordan, managing relationships with key public, private and civil society partners to achieve programming goals
- Representing WUSC in dealings with in-country governmental agencies, the Canadian government (Embassy, Global Affairs Canada), other funders and strategic partners in the country.
- Identifying potential funding sources to develop programming in the country and coordinate the preparation of program proposals in collaboration with WUSC Ottawa’s Program Development team
- Ensuring linkages and synergies across all WUSC initiatives in Jordan
- Ethical, efficient management of a team of employees, volunteers, material and financial resources.
- Ensuring the effective implementation and delivery of projects in Jordan, including the WE LEAD project, Student Refugee Program, the Volunteer Cooperation Program, as well as other initiatives, in accordance with WUSC policies, procedures and strategies;
- Provide strategic guidance, direction and management of lead Jordan-Based program managers for the WE LEAD project, Volunteer Cooperation Program, and any other initiatives.
- Overseeing the day-to-day coordination and delivery of project activities in conjunction with staff, technical advisors, volunteers and partners, in compliance with WUSC and donor policies and procedures;
- Coordinating the development of annual work plans and reports, in line with WUSC’s quality standards;
- Establishing effective partnerships with Jordanian government, civil society and the private sector including the preparation and management of partnership agreements;
- Coordinating regularly with other development actors to ensure harmonization and synergy with similar initiatives;
- Establishing and maintaining strong communication with governance structures for each initiative (consortium committees, steering committees), including organizing regular meetings, reporting, and raising issues as needed;
- Developing specific strategies for cross-cutting themes (e.g. capacity building, gender equality, private sector engagement, environmental sustainability) for the initiatives;
- Monitoring project/program progress towards results, ensuring appropriate course corrections and iterative management, and ensuring annual targets are met and reported to WUSC and the donor.
- Ensuring the documentation of results and good practices of WUSC initiatives in Jordan and the generation of content and knowledge, with the goal of the communication and dissemination thereof, both internally and externally.
- Ensuring the application of WUSC’s Age, Gender and Diversity policy in all programming and operations.
Human Resource Management
- Ensuring personnel management in the country, by supervising recruitment, training and performance reviews, in accordance with current policies and practices.
- Ensuring that the emergency, security and safeguarding procedures established by WUSC with respect to volunteers and WUSC personnel are implemented, updated and enforced.
- Supporting personnel, partners and volunteers in the development of their intercultural skills.
- Ensuring that procedures are implemented to support volunteers upon their arrival and over the entire duration of their mandates, addressing aspects such as welcoming volunteers to the country, housing, security, safeguarding, living and working conditions, end of contract issues and emergency medical evacuations, with due consideration for how conditions may affect women and men differently.
- Participating in the recruitment and mobilization of Canadian volunteers in collaboration with the Volunteer Mobilization Unit in Canada.
- Coordinating the recruitment process for Global South and in-country volunteers (process to include the signing of contracts and volunteer mobilization).
Finance and Administration
- Managing financial and material resources, as well as procurement processes, in accordance with WUSC guidelines, policies and procedures, and in collaboration with the Director of Programs and with the support of the Finance Manager.
- Developing annual budgets and ensuring ongoing budget monitoring.
- Authorizing expenditures, sign or co-sign cheques and approve the required financial reports.
- Ensuring and overseeing financial audits, as well as ensuring adherence to local labor laws, tax and social security requirements, banking controls, and any other financial or administrative requirements, in accordance with national requirements and WUSC and donor policies.
- Actively assess and identify project/program risks and appropriate mitigation strategies;
- Ensuring WUSC is in good legal standing in Jordan.
- Ensuring day to day management of Jordan Country Office operations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Masters Degree in a relevant discipline or relevant work experience deemed as equivalent.
Experience & Competencies
- Seven to ten years of experience in managing development cooperation programs.
- Two years of experience in coordinating intercultural teams preferably with experience in volunteer management.
- Relevant experience in developing partnerships and networks.
- Experience in needs analysis, capacity building and training.
- Experience in personnel management.
- Experience in project development and project management including budget development and management.
- Excellent communications and representation skills.
- Knowledge of national development strategies, particularly in relation to the economic sector, businesses, entrepreneurship, employability, and vocational and technical training.
- An innovative, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proficiency with information technologies and computer skills (Word, Excel, the Internet, etc.) and familiarity with Google Drive and Gmail an asset.
- Knowledge of youth and women’s employment and entrepreneurship.
- Adherence to the Gender Equality and social inclusion principles.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Arabic.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
We offer competitive benefits, safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to apply on our website.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to apply on our website.