NRC currently has more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria . As a leading humanitarian organization, we support displaced persons by implementing programmes across the Shelter, Education, Food Security, Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programmes.
The Syrian crisis is almost into its 9th year, but the level and intensity of the conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs inside Syria are overwhelming. Ongoing conflict and continued displacement compound a complex emergency situation. According to UN OCHA, 13.6 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in Syria and millions have been forced to flee. More than 1.4 million displacements were recorded in 2019. More than 6.5 million are internally displaced and many have fled the war-torn country, including 5.5 million refugees across the region.
NRC Syria Response is for an Area Support Manager who will actively contribute to the Syria Response Area Office strategy. The purpose of the Area Support Manager is to coordinate the support functions at a large Area Office and off-load the Area Manager on support functions. As a member of the senior management team, the Support Manager will share the responsibility to establish and maintain work systems that ensure maximum impact for people affected by the conflict.
Duties and responsibilities
- Line management for support staff such as Finance, HR & Admin and Logistics/ICT.
- Member of the Area Management Group.
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements.
- Provide input on operational support to the Area Plan of Action, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans at Area level.
- Responsible for ensuring quality support to project implementation.
- Facilitate Area Support Budget, area level budgets, including support cost.
- Responsible for developing regular reports on Area level to Country Office and AM.
- Responsible for implementation of new country specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools in Area (HR, Logistic/ICT and Finance).
- Facilitate trainings for programme staff on finance, logistics and HR procedures.
- Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff (HR, Logistic/ICT and Finance).
Strategic Resource Management
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the area office for an efficient structure.
- Ensure adequate and fit-for-purpose support strategy rooted in national staff capacity development.
- Provide leadership of the Support Department and ensure all work as one team.
Compliance and Internal Control
- Ensure that all rules, regulations, routines, procedures, SOPs are accessible to and known by all staff.
- Perform regular spotchecks on supporting documentation to identify areas of improvement in regards of quality of documentation.
- Ensure the recommendations addresses to the Area Office Support Department are addressed and updated on regular basis.
- Responsible for corruption mapping and mitigation practices and procedures in the programme.
- Lead on the preparation of Area Office donor, internal and external audit processes.
Systems and Procedures
- Ensure that all rules, regulations, routines, procedures, SOPs are available, accessible to and known by all staff.
- Responsible for ensuring that HR, finance, logistics and administration systems provide relevant and adequate support to the area office’s programmes throughout the whole project cycle.
- With the Area Manager, ensure that the area office’ work processes are in place, understood by all staff, and carefully followed.
- Lead on the implementation at Area Office level of new procedures and roll-out of new systems such as NRC HR Management System, UNIT4 Procurement and other systems.
- Lead on the elaboration and regular update of the Master Support Budget at Area Office level.
- Ensure coverage of Master Budget at all time and ensure that efficient, sustainable and flexible HR structures are in place.
- When requested by the Area Manager, represent NRC externally in different fora.
- Act as Area Manager when appointed.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- AO Programme Manager and PM, PC and Grants Coordinator when necessary
- Security: AO coordinator and SRO Advisor
- Finance: SRO Finance manager, coordinator and Head of Support
- Logistic/ICT: SRO Logistics manager and Head of Support
- HR: SRO HR Coordinator and Head of support
Required Professional Competencies:
- Minimum 4 years of being at a senior management position in humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience working in a Finance, Logistics, HR managerial position (or at least one of them)
- Solid knowledge of HR, finance and logistics routines in a humanitarian context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Required Behavioural Competencies:
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essentialfor this position:
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Strategic thinking
Preferred Context/Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of remote management
- Knowledge of the Middle-East and the Syrian crisis an asset
- Experience of partnership an asset
- Previous NRC experience in a similar role an asset
We Can Offer
- Contract period: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- Duty station: Amman, Jordan
We will review applications on an ongoing basis, interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
How to apply
Please apply via this link: