Office Manager – HMA and DHM Office
The British Embassy in Amman is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual for the position of Office Manager – HMA/DHM Office, Grade – B3 (L).
Purpose of the job:
As an Office Manager HMA/DHM you will be the interface between HMA/DHM office and high level external stakeholders on meetings with HMA/DHM as well as managing the Residence staff (currently five) reporting directly to HMA counter-signed by DHM.
• As Office Manager HMA/DHM you will be the primary point of contact for HMA both internally and externally: managing his diary and inbox, ensuring that all appointments are organised properly, including liaising with his close protection team to ensure they know where they will be accompanying him to and can do any necessary site checks beforehand. HMA keeps a busy schedule and it is critical that in organising meetings you assist him with time management by allowing for desk time to manage his administration; this will necessitate pushing back on individuals who want to see him from time to time.
• In HMA/DHM office you will work alongside the PA to the DHM and the HMA Social Secretary. While you will not directly line manage these officers, you will oversee the general running of the office and ensure that there is a rota in place for the office to fill in your team’s details for the weekly staff list and carry out the diplomatic bag unpacking and packing when it is the HMA team turn.
• You will lead on arranging high level meetings with the Royal Court including members of the Royal Family, the Government of Jordan (including the Prime Ministry), high level stake holders including business figures and other senior members of international organisations and embassies. You will be the first point of contact between the Embassy and these individual (‘s offices) as well as the first point of contact for many staff working in the Embassy with HMA.
• In managing HMA Office you will also line manager the part time Residence Manager. You will work with the Residence Manager to ensure that there are proper stock controls of food/drink, events run smoothly and maintenance is kept up. Because the Residence Manager is part-time, you will line manage the Residence Staff (currently five), setting their objectives, having regular one to ones with them and carrying out their midterm reviews and end of year reviews for their appraisals. The Residence Manager, who is based on site, will task the Residence staff on a day-to-day basis but under your guidance.
• There are opportunities to get involved in other embassy activities such as learning and development, crisis – where the jobholder will be expected to have a role in a crisis – greening the embassy, wellbeing and advocacy.
• You will report directly to HMA and be countersigned by DHM.
Key Competencies and Required Skills:
• Managing a Quality Service – Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
• Collaborating and Partnering – People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
• Delivering at Pace – Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes. For all staff, it’s about working to agreed goals and activities and dealing with challenges in a responsive and constructive way.
• Seeing the Big Picture – Having an in-depth understanding and knowledge of how your role fits with and supports organisational objectives and the wider public needs. Focussing your contribution on the activities which will meet Embassy goals and deliver the greatest value.
• Fluent communication skills in English and Arabic language (both written and spoken, this will be tested).
• Previous experience in a similar role.
• Excellent organisational skills, including ability to organise workloads, set priorities, meet deadlines and maintain close attention to detail.
• Degree level education.
• Team player and IT skills (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint).
• Experience of working in an embassy environment.
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The position is full-time, at 37 hours a week with considerations of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Pay is on the Embassy B3 (L) scale, with a salary of JOD 1546 per month depending on the candidate’s skills and experience. The package includes a good level of health insurance and a friendly, English-speaking work environment. We offer opportunities to develop professional skills through our Learning & Development offer. Leave entitlement is 25 days (pro rated) plus 14 public holidays.
If you are selected for this position, we will be able to employ you as long as you:
- Receive the appropriate level of standard security clearance;
- Have (or be willing to obtain) the right to live and work in Jordan.
Interested candidates must attach the following documents when applying online.
1. An updated Curriculum Vitae (CV)
2. Please provide examples of performance in each competency on the motivation section of the online application form.
3. A covering letter stating why you feel you have the necessary skills to perform well in the above role.
** (Applications that do not include the above stated information will be rejected).
All applications must be received before 23:55 (Local Time) on 16 May 2018.
Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
Due to the large amount of applications we receive only those shortlisted/interview for assessment will be contacted.
The start date mentioned in the advert is an assumed start date and the successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances and reference checks.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy are subject to terms and conditions of service according to local labour law.
The British Embassy Amman is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.To apply click here