WASH Project Manager – Jordan
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: WASH Project Manager
Duty station: Amman main office, with frequent travel to Irbid, Amman and Karak fields
Starting date: 26/01/2020
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of mission
Supervision of: N/A
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an Italian humanitarian organization that works all over the world bringing assistance to people in danger, including victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. We intervene to effectively meet the needs of people in crisis, with particular attention to vulnerable groups, women and children. We provide primary assistance in terms of food, shelter, medical assistance and basic goods, while also ensuring that basic needs, education, safe water and health needs are met during the recovery phase.
Since 2012, INTERSOS has had operations in the Middle East to contribute towards ensuring emergency relief and social protection assistance for Syrian refugees fleeing their home in search of safety, with special focus on most vulnerable groups (children, women, elderly and persons with special needs).
In Jordan, INTERSOS has focused its humanitarian response on supporting Syrian families displaced across urban and rural areas, as well as vulnerable host communities, with a programme that concentrates on protection and protection mainstreaming within the different sectors of intervention that compose the Country Strategy (Protection, Child Protection, Education in Emergency, WASH, Shelter and Basic Needs including Cash and Winterization Assistance).
General purpose of the position
Under the direct supervision of Jordan Head of mission, the WASH Project Manager is primarily responsible of the efficient and smooth implementation of the activities of all WASH Projects that INTERSOS is implementing in the Jordan.
She/he will be responsible for the assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all the projects’ related activities. Moreover she/he will be responsible for the management of the Jordan WASH team and for coordination with the other INTERSOS Jordan departments, including HR, finance, logistics and programs.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Head of mission, the WASH Project Manager will be responsible for:
- Develop projects strategies, tools and work plans appropriate to the local context;
- Ensure that the INTERSOS Jordan component of the WASH projects is implemented on time and in a cohesive and integrated manner;
- Maintain a positive working relationship with local technical counterparts and international partners;
- Assess, plan, implement, monitor all WASH projects activities;
- Lead the development and implementation of necessary field assessments and the collection of all the data related to the EU MADAD funded WASH projects in Northern Jordan, and other WASH projects in other areas of Jordan, if required;
- Participate in the drafting of tender documents, collection and evaluation of the bids;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of the Jordan WASH team;
- Ensure adequate performance management of his/her team, including annual performance proposals and ad-hoc interventions as required;
- Supervise the all WASH related construction activities at field level, ensuring the quality of works;
- Liaise and coordinate all the project activities with the local authorities and the beneficiaries engaged in the projects;
- Liaise and coordinate all the projects activities with the WASH Consortia partners when working in consortium setup, and implementing partners when working in implementing partnership setup;
- Participate in relevant sector meetings at local and national level and meeting with local authorities;
- Develop projects reports using the appropriate tools and templates;
- Manage the WASH projects budget, in close collaboration with the Finance Manager, and Jordan Head of Mission.
- Perform other related duties upon request to support the projects team and the projects implementation process;
- Manage all related program equipment and materials in close consultation with the logistic / procurement officer;
- Coordinate with logistics department to maintain and ensure proper projects asset register;
- Liaise with other departments and give support when needed.
- Supervise and mentor the staff under his/her supervision;
- Participate in staff training, helping to build technical capacity of staff, operators and partners in the area of WASH
- Review, in coordination with Programme Manager, programme staff and consortium partners, yearly work and performance plans to ensure long-term and short-term priorities are on track;
- Support the implementation of a common monitoring, evaluation, and learning system among all partners and analyse the technical data it generates to inform projects management;
Specific technical WASH tasks:
- Develop and pparticipate in community consultations in order to better identify the communities’ needs;
- Develop and participate in Technical assessments at field level;
- Contribute to the Tender Dossier development;
- Review technical designs and specification and BOQs;
- Perform site supervision and inspection of the works during execution and at completion (WASH infrastructure, Schools and HH Rehabilitation;
- Prepare regular reports for Head of Mission on the progress of construction for the assigned sites;
- Ensure that works are complete as per work plan and schedules;
- Ensure safety procedures and rules are respected in the field by all workers;
- Resolve any conflicts on construction sites;
- Supervise the hand-over of the WASH infrastructure to local municipalities;
- Work closely with the Municipalities, community leaders, local authorities and Technical Partners to ensure that the facilities built or rehabilitated are correctly operated and maintained after completion of works;
- Ensure the good respect of working conditions while in office or in the field in line with the INTERSOS code of conduct and standard operating procedures;
- Ensure compliance with INTERSOS administrative and logistical procedures;
- Monthly reporting to Head of mission;
- Contribute to the projects reporting and new proposals;
- Ensure maintaining high confidentiality of information, up to date documents, including processes and verification.
- Supervise the team members reporting to you, provide support and training, promote a friendly and professional working environment, and ensure staff development and learning environment.
- Ensure your team performance appraisals are reviewed regularly and conducted as per INTERSOS HR policies and procedures.
- Advocate and plan for professional development for yourself.
- Advocate and plan for professional development for your supervised staff.
- Provide input to, and deliver, where applicable, training for national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programs.
- Proactively engage with your supervisor and key staff.
- Proactively engage on a regular basis with your supervisor to develop working networks to seek advice where needed.
- Represent INTERSOS in a positive and professional manner to contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of INTERSOS mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors.
- Respect the security rules specified for the INTERSOS Jordan mission and ensure that the team under his/her responsibility complies with the security plan and protocols.
- Communicate to the Program and to the Security managers of the working location any security related information or noncompliance with the security plan.
Required profile and experience
· Bachelor’s degree in WASH/Civil/Environmental Engineering, International Development or similar fields is highly desirable.
· A least four (4) years of senior-level management experience in the development sector, including at least three (3) years of experience in managing WASH, water infrastructure and / or economic recovery programming; or experience in integrated program development and management
· A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible supervisory work experience including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams and consortium and working on multi-faceted international development programs;
· Experience working in Consortia with international partners and local institutions and local actors, including local NGOs and CSOs/CBOs;
- Strong project management and planning skills: assessments, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, with good skills in managing related data analysis;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact professionally with donor, project stakeholders, in-country collaborators and staff at all levels of the organization;
- Knowledge of participatory approaches and tools to community planning, monitoring and evaluation;
- Demonstrate ability in thinking creatively and practically to improve the quality of projects and problem solving;
- Strong MS Office skills, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Arabic Language is an asset
- English Language is mandatory
- Italian Language is mandatory
- Strong capacity building, facilitation, presentation and communication skills;
- Strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a minimum of guidance;
- Willingness and physical ability to perform field missions in rural areas if needed;
- Ability to delegate and work in team;
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD);
- Stress management skills: Ability to work effectively under pressure, including meeting tight deadlines and handle temporary increases in workload;
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written;
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-42-1353 – WASH Project Manager”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.