Education Project Manager
SRO (Amman) , Norwegian Refugee Council
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC currently has more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria . As a leading humanitarian organization, we support displaced persons by implementing programmes across the Shelter, Education, Food Security, Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programmes.
The Syrian crisis is almost into its 9th year, but the level and intensity of the conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs inside Syria are overwhelming. Ongoing conflict and continued displacement compound a complex emergency situation. According to UN OCHA, 13.6 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance in Syria and millions have been forced to flee. More than 1.4 million displacements were recorded in 2019. More than 6.5 million are internally displaced and many have fled the war-torn country, including 5.5 million refugees across the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
The purpose of the Education Project Manager is to be responsible for the design, development and implementation of Education projects in Syria.
The following is a brief description of the role, further details can be found in Job Description.
- Line management for Education project staff.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures.
- Contribute to the development of Country, Area and education strategies, initiate and participate in the development of relevant education projects.
- Coordinate and manage education project implementation (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Provide technical direction to education team, and ensure high technical quality of projects.
- Provide regular progress reports to the Area Programme Manager and Education Specialist, highlighting operational successes and challenges.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
- Develop and manage education project budget, in cooperation with Area Programme Manager.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of displaced persons in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Technical CC Education expertise, children, youth, adult and basic education activities preferred.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Strategic thinking
- Initiating action and change
We can offer
-Contract period: 12 months
-Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
-Duty station: Amman, Jordan, with 10% international travel
Please download Job Description of the position here.
We may review applications on an ongoing basis, prior to deadline, interested candidates are encouraged to apply early